Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Creaking crank
  • hikerbiker
    Free Member

Hi guys, Any ideas on why my crank creeks?? It’s definitely is NOT the bottom bracket (I’ve checked that already) or the pedals. The odd thing is both bikes are doing it; one’s steel the other aluminium (I was starting to think it might be my knees).

If anyone has any ideas or tips to cure the problem, I’d be very grateful.

Cheers

simondbarnes

Chainring bolts? Cleats? Crank arm / axle interface?

I’ve also seen ‘creaky cranks’ turn out to be headsets, loose QRs, cracked frame.

justmoochingalong

I have this too, replaced the bb, crank and pedals and it’s still doing it, but only sometimes.

I’ve decided to just live with it, the bike is still going well.

jezzep

Mine turned out to be the seat bolts. Stripped the whole bike greased all the bolt threads with coperslip reassembled till I found the offending creak. It was amazing how much corrosion I had on an 8 month old bike. Next time I get a new bike I’m stripping it and reassembling it the way I want it.

mattbee

Last time for me was the ratchet buckle on my left shoe rubbing slightly against the leather and creaking gently.

weeksy

Mine recently was chain.

cynic-al
    Free Member

What SDB said, and it’s rarely wear, no need to replace anything, just grease and tighten.

colp

Also, check that your cassette is tight, it can sound like the cranks

trailtom
    Free Member

If it’s a Shimano Hollow Tech 2 type, I find I need to tighten the plastic bolt up on the non driveside with minimal force just enough to to make it snug before doing the 2 bolts up on the crank arm. otherwise mine creaks like an old bed..

reeksy

I had real problems with 11speed xd cassette interfaces. Even when lightly greased it would only take a speck of sand to get in and the damn thing creaks again.

globalti
    Free Member

If the cranks are on a BB30 setup your problem is the BB axles fretting inside the bearing inner races. Take apart, clean and reassemble with bearing fit compound on the worn areas that you will find on the axles.

hikerbiker
    Free Member

cheers guys, it is a hollow tech crank so I’ll have a go at regreasing and see how I get on.
    Thanks again

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Creaking crank’ is closed to new replies.