Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 946 total)
  • CRC security issues?
  • stu1972
    Free Member

Ooh now then, I ordered some stuff from CRC at the beginning of January which never left the “processing” stage, even when I contacted them a fortnight ago.

They then promptly refunded me the money and apologised, and was then stung for a mysterious £30.00 O2 TopUp Prepay purchase !

I have never been fleeced online before and couldn’t understand how my details had been stolen.

Coincidence or a pattern emerging here peeps ?

duckman

Brilliant! Bought from CRC for the first time in 6 months on Friday, about to test the whole 24hr helpline thing….

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Yep 2 lots of £15 quid taken from my account for O2 top up….only used the card at CRC, in the last 3 weeks.

Not only that but i placed the order on monday and I am still waiting for the stuff to be sent.

I think the UK bike store will become my new online parts provider, always had good service from them, and they answer the phones.

emkay
    Free Member

+1 me too, £500 taken on some dodgy canadian airline ticket

I’ve emailed them to let them know

cheers!

xiphon
    Free Member

CRC might only be licensed to hold CC details in the servers RAM.

i.e. when the server is switched off, there is no trace of the details.

thebiglad
    Free Member

I am another one who has had money taken from my account after placing a CRC order last week.I used one of the £10 vouchers that was sent to me and yes a couple of days later a £15 payment to O2-slough was taken. I’m not even with O2!
    Never had a problem with CRC before and hope that this is a one off.

anc
    Free Member

I think we’re well beyond the realms of coincidence now. Soon as they know the facts CRC need to make some form of statement to there customers as to what’s has happened. I’m sure they’d like to keep consumer confidence they’ve built over the years…. But word travels fast in the biking community. There could be many more customers details which have been stolen but are yet to be used fraudulently, if this is the case these cards need replacing before the fraudsters get there chance. Personally my cc company were very interested in this possible link and the numerous posts on biking forums about fraud after shopping with them. They have instructed the fraud dept to investigate this link.

wwaswas

when similar allegations were made about wiggle the biggest response was a denial it was them and then all the threads got pulled as they threatened the forum owners with litigation…

Trekster

if you use iTunes might be worth checking that on your accounts to.
    Daughter got a call from her bank, Santander, someone in Thialand had tried to get £770 out of her account just after payday and a trip to iTunes

wwaswas

I do have some sympathy with that viewpoint Trekster – people have cards registered with sites all over the place – you’ll probably find everyone on this thread has multiple retailers online in common.

ART

Am keeping an eye on my account, my CC company totally uninterested when I called them about this 😯 … Agree though that CRC need to deal with this sharpish.

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Just got a call back from CRC, mentioned the issues with cards as I was speaking to them this morning about an order that has yet to be dispatched after a week.

To my suprise ! they said it was not their fault and that I should update the antivirus on my PC as it seems to be just me that had this issue.

BoardinBob

Don’t think I’ll bother buying from CRC in the near future…

wwaswas

BB – if you’re bothered use Paypal?

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

I’ve just had my card declined for a payment, so phoned the bank and someone’s tried to top up on Vodaphone, so now my card’s been stopped. I made a payment to CRC a week ago, it wouldn’t let me pay using paypal for some reason, I tried a few times as I think it’s more secure, so I had to enter my card details eventually … yep, all seems a bit of a coincidence! The only other payment I’ve made was with google checkout on Friday. 👿

Good that my bank detected it before payments made though as I hadn’t made any previous payments to vodaphone so they were suspicious 🙂 thanks HSBC … my bank said they had every detail correct, card number, expiry date, start date, code number on the back

wwaswas

Of course it’s possible someone on here posted a link to a site containing something that downloaded itself to the PC’s of those affected and did some keylogging?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

I used CRC last week and on Friday the bank called me to see if I why I was buying clothes from simply b in £50 transactions until my account was empty?

They conceded it was fraud as I am not a larger lady and the delivery address did not match.

Only other people who have my card details are Jungle who kept them so they could refund money after a return.

Seems odd so many people were hit within a few days?

cookeaa

You lot got me all worried then, checked joint account online…

Oh No! 1st of March payment to O2!!!

Hang on the Missus Mobile is O2… Doh.

No fraud here…. Yet.

druidh
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Of course it’s possible someone on here posted a link to a site containing something that downloaded itself to the PC’s of those affected and did some keylogging?

And only CRC customers clicked on that link?

jackoinmoss
    Free Member

IS there not legislation in place about how card details are held?

Will be using paypal from now on though.

Kojaklollipop
    Free Member

‘No fraud here… yet’

That’s what I thought last night, I checked my account after reading this and nothing came up, today my card has been stopped, so worth keeping an eye on just in case so you can contact your bank asap?

wwaswas

And only CRC customers clicked on that link?

or, alternatively, only CRC customers clicked on a thread entitled CRC security issues?

Smuzzy
    Free Member

Just got a call back from CRC, mentioned the issues with cards as I was speaking to them this morning about an order that has yet to be dispatched after a week.

To my suprise ! they said it was not their fault and that I should update the antivirus on my PC as it seems to be just me that had this issue.

Thats tosh. I mailed them last night (no reply) and have placed all my orders via a MAC, which whilst aren’t virus immune, its very unlikely that it would be infected at the same time with an equivalent virus as a PC.

D0NK

Hmm my CC got cancelled last week, the last payment before attempted fraud was to CRC. I didn’t think it would be CRC at fault as I’ve used them so much in the past. I made an order on friday on my debit card, now I read this…if that card gets fleeced too it’d be pretty damning evidence IMO. I’ll keep an eye on it.

andyl
    Free Member

guess I had better call my credit card company and check!

I normally use paypal as I sell stuff and then buy bike parts with it but as I got the voucher I thought I would order some shorts I wanted anyway.

Cheers for the heads up.

Bez

“is paypal a lot more secure then direct cc???”

In the sense that it cuts down the number of bits of the Internet that your card details pass through or are stored on, yes. But I question whether it’s always advisable, since I would assume you would in practice lose the protection of the Consumer Credit Act. Paypal pays the retailer via a debit from your Paypal balance, whilst the card provider is lending you money only to increase your Paypal balance. By proxying the payment you’re no longer being lent money to buy goods from the retailer, ie I would only expect the card provider to assist you in a dispute with Paypal.

And I would never buy stuff online with a debit card!

fourcrossjohn
    Free Member

http://www.facebook.com/ChainReactionCycles

Ive let them know publicly 🙂

hughjengin
    Free Member

Nothing on mine since using my voucher, however utter paranoia has led me to stop my debit card anyway, had debit card fraud happen twice now in the past couple of years, and corrently or incorrectly both the instances were immediately after Wiggle purchases. Online shopping is convinient and cheap most of the time, but its a proper ballache when things go wrong. Am going to vow to use LBS shops more often

Harris
    Free Member

My card has also been stopped within 24hrs of using CRC. Four attempts were made to spend £1 and another was for £15 with O2. Halifax noticed the irregular transactions and stopped further use of my Mastercard. I’d like to think CRC will address these problems accordingly.

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Saw this thread last night and having bought some stuff from CRC last week though a precautionary glance of the CC account was called for – sigh of relief all round as no unusual transaction – Sat chilling at home tonight when I got a call from the CC fraud people telling me they had spotted some unusual activity on the account and had I bought some theatre tickets and spent £1700 at John Lewis

Needles to say CC in pieces in the bin & new cards in the post

yetifan
    Free Member

I bought 2 things from CRC, paid for one with Debit card, and other with Credit card.

Both cards have been ‘done’. The Credit card is ONLY used at Chain Reaction.

I sent an email, and a nice lady called LINDA called me back, if you have an issue, please get in touch with her. She says to call her.

She assured me the website is 100% safe, but did not say their staff were trustworthy 🙂

Andrew

bigjim

I get the feeling people have been clicking on a phoney click through advert that has been harvesting their info, there are a lot of them about, in fact there was a big one on the news last week wasn’t there?

Dr_Bakes

Another one done here.

£15 O2 purchase made and prevented by my bank shortly after a CRC purchase on the same card. I also purchased from Merlin and Wiggle last week but there seems to be a theme here!

Trimix
    Free Member

There is the option to “Delete Previously used Debit / Credit Cards” on CRC.

You all may want to do that just to be safe.

parkesie
    Free Member

New card 1st time id used it anywhere other than tesco was crc for some new cables and would you believe it 2 x £15 O2 payments and £1 to AOL.

Going to be spending my money elsewhere from now on.

iainc

another one here. purchased last week, card hit at the weekend, now cancelled. I have had this happen a few times in the past, but this one looks too much of a coincidence

twinklydave

Another one!

Ordered stuff from CRC on Thursday. Today a couple of phone top up payments…and then wham, whoever it is tried to spend £1600.

Luckily the bank spotted it and decelined it.

🙁

Didn’t click through any voucher or anything like that – though I did go through quidco 😕

I know it’s only an inconvienience in my case, waiting for a replacement card, but still…grrr.

stu1972
    Free Member

I’ve never clicked a CRC banner or visited the site via a referral yet still got walloped with the O2 prepay purchase after a CRC transaction. I’ve never used one of their discount voucher emails either.

The keylogger / antivirus thing doesnt wash with me.

Regardless of whether CRC is to blame or not I sincerely hope they are looking into this matter internally.

In the meantime pending an offical responce, there’s plenty of other mail order companies worthy of my hard earned cash!

Another one here… I read this thread yesterday, and thought about my recent Pro Vibe stem purchase from CRC. Got a call from the card company today, they stopped purchases for £15 of O2 vouchers and £1 for something else and canceled my card.

CRC have been rubbish for a while anyway, takes nearly a week for delivery.

kaesae
    Free Member

AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE!!!!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 946 total)

The topic ‘CRC security issues?’ is closed to new replies.