Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Crazy Horses!
  • enfht
    Free Member

My new trails take me through a variety of farmers fields. If animals are present I always walk the bike and if it's night I dip my lights and turn them to their dimmest setting. Anyhoo there's this crazy looking horse in one particular field who doesn't seem to like me using his home as a path. He's a magnificent looking beast but tbh he intimidates the **** out of me….no argy-bargy yet but if there ever was I'd come second 😳

How do you know when a horse is about to duff you up?! Any horse-related ninja blocks? Is there an equivalent of a dog-whistle for horses?!! 😆

z1ppy

Horses are 'flight' animal (ei: they tend to run when threatened or scared), so unless it's a mother with foal or a (invariably crazy) stallion (most males are geldings) you should be fine.
    Though horses are real charaters & are not stupid like cows, my g/f's old horse charged me when I played him up with a wheel barrow (poo picking, what fun)….

saying that…horses are pack animals, if it's a horse that's been left on it's own for a long time, it may well be a little psycho..

enfht
    Free Member

Horses are 'flight' animal (ie: they tend to run when threatened or scared)

That's what worries me, this fella doesn't want to run anywhere but puffs his chest out like a chicken and gives me a death stare. I gave him a wide berth last time and I reckon he took this as a sign of weakness on my part…I think he's marked my card for next time!!

puddle-rider
    Free Member

He's probably expecting some food!

enfht
    Free Member

That also occurred to me but I thought twice about walking up to him with some polo mints.

Anna-B
    Free Member

It's all about confidence with horses, you have to pretend to be even if you don't feel it. They can sense fear unfortunately, so just walk the way you want to go through his field as though you owned it. He's most likely being just nosey (ears pricked forward) and – as above – gelded so not looking to assert his dominance. Talk to him in a friendly voice. Ears back means he's not overkeen on the situation, but don't panic. Don't be afraid to push him away from the front if he's hassling you for space and don't whatever you do feed him treats. He'll get cross with you when he's eaten them all, and expect them in the future from everyone as well.

pitduck
    Free Member

i thought you meant the osmonds 😯

stonemonkey
    Free Member

Me and the dog got attacked by some horses about a month ago, went for me first and then chased the dog , and i mean chased as in followed it round trying to stamp on it for over a minute not just one charge. Was very wary for a couple of weeks. My advice is always give you self a few escape options dont get trapped between the horsey and wall.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Crazy Horses!’ is closed to new replies.