Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Crack found in frame. What are my warranty chances?
  • dannyh
    Free Member

I’ve just found a crack in my Genesis Core 40 frame. It is an 09 model bought from Evans cycles in April/May 2009.

I’ve called Evans, and I do have proof of purchase etc.

They are going to call Madison tomorrow to see what they can do. When I mentioned the ‘lifetime guarantee’, they said this referred to the ‘lifetime’ of the bike and was typically 3-5 years.

Anyone had a similar situation? If so, what are my chances of an FOC replacement, and how long do you think it would be before I have a rideable bike again?

The crack is in a weird place, on the right seatstay half way up, near the bend that helps accommodate the tyre.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

A “lifetime” guarantee that lasts as long as the lifetime of the thing before it fails, whatever time that is?? Genius.

Between this and designing a carpenter’s pencil sharpener, I’ve got my fortune made.

Oh no, wait, I can add “Unlimited downloads” to that list.

🙄

Drac

Good luck as Gofaster says it’s not always what you may think lifetime means.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/genesis-bikes

Oh no, wait, I can add “Unlimited downloads” to that list.

BT beat you to it.

kayak23

Orange phones beat you too. I have unlimited internet on my contract, but it has a limit…
    Good luck on the frame.

Since when has 3-5 years been the lifetime of a bike? I don’t own a bike under 5 years old

Garry_Lager

5 years out of an aluminium HT would be about right IME – if it’s your main ride and you’re putting it through its paces.

Had a few cannondales replaced over the years on this timescale – they used to make a big deal out of their lifetime warranty though. You paid a premium for the frame so it was an upfront selling point. If it’s lost in the small print I’d be less optimistic but hopefully they will do something for you.

stevego
    Free Member

Some companies are better than others. I’ve dealt with Giant and they have been great. Warrantied a 4 year old anthem frame, replacing it with an Anthem X (more travel than the old outdated Anthem I’d cracked) so new rear shock and bearings also.

Northwind

TheArtistFormerlyKnownAsSTR – Member

Since when has 3-5 years been the lifetime of a bike?

Well if it’s cracked it’s obviously died, right? The warranty ended 1 second before it cracked 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

In answer to the question above, yes it is my only bike and it has been ridden one or twice a week, every week.

It doesn’t owe me anything, really.

That’s not the point when it comes to warranty IMO, though.

I’ll see what tomorrow brings.

Assuming I get offered a new frame, I might ask to go up a size if that is not too cheeky!

I assume Evans would build it up with my existing components? If not, I might just get them to press some new headset cups in, I can do the rest myself(?)

Does any of this ring any bells with anyone on here?

normski
    Free Member

Here’s my take on the situation (from experience as a trade worker and customer alike)
    1. Lifetime does often mean for the lifespan of your ownership, and most big brands will honour this so i’d say its highly likely you’ll get a replacement so long as it doesn’t look like impact/crash damage.

2. Evans/you have absolutely nothing to lose by sending it off, although its worth noting that the warranty doesn’t cover labour or postage so be prepared to cover this although more often than not they dont charge out of goodwill, more likely if you’re a regular customer.

3. As far as getting the next size up if they replace it. Well that just comes down to what the supplier has sat in the stockroom and what size you’re after: If they have loads of XL’s left and thats what you’re after then you’re more likely to get it as they’ll want rid of them. If you’re wanting to go from small to medium then they are more likely to say no as they want to get rid of the less popular sizes.

No doubt you will be in a much clearer picture once you have spoken to Evans tomorrow.

This is by no means 100% conclusive but just my 2pence worth 😉

dannyh
    Free Member

Cheers normski. As you say, I’ll have to see what happens when I speak with Evans tomorrow.

On the plus side, the Core is still a model in the range. It is still 26″ and the head tube is still old school 1 1/8 inch, so no probs on swapping over any componentry.

Here’s hoping for a happy resolution. I hate missing ride time, although I reckon I’d be missing a lot more if the frame had gone in for a catastrophic failure, so I won’t grumble too much!

We’d just got a local weekly group ride going as well, so I’m keen not to miss too many of those either!

cynic-al
    Free Member

Wasn’t it Shitespeed or Lynskey that changed the definitive of lifetime, as promulgated on this ‘ere forum?

JoeG
    Free Member

gofasterstripes – Member

Between this and designing a carpenter’s pencil sharpener, I’ve got my fortune made.

Been done…

Carpenter pencil sharpener

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Aaah but apparently they’re no good – you still have to use a knife. Maybe I wasn’t being 100% serious 🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Crack found in frame. What are my warranty chances?’ is closed to new replies.