Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Cowlyd Killer loop – advise needed!
  • superfli
    Free Member

Bit of collective advise please.

Has anyone done this route: http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/the-marin-cowlyd-killer-mtb-route-guide/

And if so, or if you have an opinion, can you tell me roughly how long it would take 3 pretty fit, regular MTBers to complete (on Sunday). I’m aware that the first climb looks awful! Is the rest of the route worth it? I’m thinking this might be too much for a whole afternoon. We are staying in Penmachno and I wanted a pretty natural, out in the wilds loop to do. If weather goes bad, we can do trail centre instead.

Thanks!

steve_b77
    Free Member

Take a wet suit 🙂

It’s a good natural loop, although I’m sure someone will be along in a minute to say they know one miles better.

What’s your assessment of pretty fit? I recall doing it in about 3 and a bit hours.

superfli
    Free Member

Wet suit as its a wet route or because of the weather forecast (not checked yet!)?!

Pretty fit would be fairly frequent enduro racers who can happily do a 30-40 mile day in the saddle with big climbs.

steve_b77
    Free Member

Wet suit as its a wet route or because of the weather forecast (not checked yet!)?!

Both, it’s Wales in October

breninbeener

its been really wet here recently and its a horrid quagmire when its wet.

chakaping
    Free Member

I’d look at riding in and around Gwydir Forest instead, using the trail centre there and other tracks. The best bit of the Colwyd loop is the descent to Capel, and that can be worked into different routes anyway.

It’s not gonna be as boggy as the Colwyd side of the loop either.

rocketman
    Free Member

Have done a shorter version of that route from Capel Curig and to/from Cowlyd was basically a swamp. Started at about 11 got back just before dusk (winter time)

superfli
    Free Member

OK. thanks all for advise, sounds like its best we stick to something more all weather. Decided on ditching the natural trail and will do the Beast at CyB instead. Snowdon on Monday morning followed by Marin trail in afternoon 🙂

Mbnut
    Free Member

Beginning of the End being used for an Enduro Sunday I think.

Best check, if so at least you can forget that awful climb up to it!

Mbnut
    Free Member

Does anyone have a Marin with extra bits GPX…

Sorry for the slight hijack Superfli.

kendonagasaki

Mbnut – Look on the Flat Tyres site for “The Marin and Moel Siabod” loop. It’s a pretty good ride with a proper hot drink and snack stop at the Spar.

http://flattyres-mtb.co.uk/route-guides/north-wales-mtb-routes/the-marin-and-moel-siabod-mtb-route-guide/

RustySpanner

Go for it you big wuss, it’s supposed to be wet, it’s Wales. 🙂

We usually park at Tryfan then slog up through the farm on the left as you’re heading toward Betwys. Side of Cowlyd is fun if you’re a better rider than me.

Crafnant has a good  cafe  and views on the south side, a better trail on the northern edge.

Descent from above the Mynydd hut back to Capel is fun, if you like that sort of thing.

My Mrs threatened to shove my bike up my arse shortly after we finished this route for the first time.

Character building. ☺

Mbnut
    Free Member

Lovely…  cheers Ken.

Did Snowdon yesterday Superfli, up and down in well under 3 hours with some chatting.  Not sure I’d have gone off to do Marin after though.

superfli
    Free Member

Cheers Mbnut. I thought Snowdon would take 2-3 hrs. Yeah, Marin after should be fine! I’m not driving back afterall lol! We’ll start very early for Snowdon.

We won’t be getting to n.Wales until 11, so only really 4-5 hrs available Sun, meaning that killer loop is a bit risky. Cyb, although WES is on, should be good to go that afternoon

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Cowlyd Killer loop – advise needed!’ is closed to new replies.