Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Couriers for unboxed bikes
  • cromolyolly
    Free Member

I’m sure someone went through this but my search skills have failed me.
    Ebay seller collection only but is happy to have courier arranged by buyer.
    There are people that will do this but I can’t recall who or how
    Anyone remember?

johnw1984
    Free Member

Paisley Freight are one I can think of.

ossify

Shiply maybe, basically puts your job out for offer and different couriers and smaller “man & van” people give you quotes. You can see their various levels of insurance etc.

There’s another company with the same model but the name escapes me right now…

finbar
    Free Member

There’s bikedelivery.co.uk but I cannot in good conscience recommend them after having no end of faff actually trying to get the courier to make a collection from me. That was a few years ago now though.

TheGingerOne

I sold a bike recently, collection only on eBay. Purchaser was nowhere near me but organised a Paisley Freight delivery. Courier delivers a flat pack box including bubble wrap and tape. I made the box, packed the bike and sealed it up. Next day the courier returns and picks up the box. From my perspective it was very easy, I didn’t need to do any organising at all except giving the buyer my address and phone number.

I just took a lot of photos of the packaged bike and box so I had evidence that any issues if they arise were not attributable to me

b230ftw
    Free Member

There’s no way I’d be packing a bike for a courier if I’d specifically said collection only, even if the packing materials were supplied!!
    And on the flip side I would not trust a seller to pack a bike properly if they had no liability for the standard of packing it.
    You have to make packages bombproof to survive the courier process, and it’s not easy to do.

I’ve made an 7hr round trip to pick up a £800 bike before, it enabled me to check it over and make 100% sure it got home in the same condition I bought it in! It was only about £40 in fuel I think which was worth the piece of mind.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I’m sure the accepted method is to post “anyone going from A to B next week” on here and hand a forumite some beer

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Cheers guys

I thought Paislry freight would only take boxed?

Shiply maybe

Yeah, so far ridiculous quotes – £250 for 60 miles.

It’s the other one I was thinking of. I can’t remember it either.

I’m sure the accepted method is to post “anyone going from A to B next week” on here and hand a forumite some beer

I did think of that. Beer is such a contentious subject. Lager, Ale, Bitter, Artisan?

Northwind

Hermes, or maybe the Hermes Light and Large service through Interparcel (which weirdly last time I used it, was offering a service that Hermes themselves don’t advertise)

Yeah I know, Hermes aren’t the best. But I’ve used this service a few times now for whole bikes and for frames and it’s been fine, and inexpensive. Pack it decently, insure it fully. They specifically advertise the Large Parcel as being suitable for bikes.

b230ftw
    Free Member

There’s no way I’d be packing a bike for a courier if I’d specifically said collection only, even if the packing materials were supplied!!

Loads of ebay auctions say “collection only” but when you ask they’re up for it. Depends a lot on whether they’re getting any interest I reckon but also a lot of people just don’t think about it or assume it’ll be too expensive for anyone to bother.

stingmered

I’ve made an 7hr round trip to pick up a £800 bike before, it enabled me to check it over and make 100% sure it got home in the same condition I bought it in! It was only about £40 in fuel I think which was worth the piece of mind.

It’s not just the fuel though is it, put aside the all in travel cost inc. wear and tear at 45p/mile, it’s the cost of YOUR time (financially, emotionally, stress levels etc.) What is your hourly worth? mine certainly ain’t worth one of my two days off a week sat in the car for an £800 bike – i’d have taken my chances. remember, most people are good! That and a modicum of commonsense/caution when things don’t appear right saves a lot of hassle in the long run.

matt_outandabout

OP – where is the bike at and where are you at?

Yeah, so far ridiculous quotes – £250 for 60 miles.

By the time the bike gets to you it will have passed through ‘delivery hubs’ at Glasgow and London though.

itsonlymelee
    Free Member

Anyvan?

Used them a few times a while back, once for a car and once for furniture.

Good price and service both times.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I did think of that. Beer is such a contentious subject. Lager, Ale, Bitter, Artisan?

I see your concern, your average stw-er is unlikely to accept carling and if you have them brewdog you’d have to listen to them moralise for hours before they greedily gluged with zero guilt.

Still, safer than offering them a coffee.

ossify

Yes Anyvan! That’s who I was thinking of earlier. Used them once with no problems (though not for a bike).

Loads of ebay auctions say “collection only” but when you ask they’re up for it

My general rule of thumb is if the listing has this then it’s ok to ask (and most people are fine if you arrange it, it usually just means it’s awkward to post and they couldn’t be bothered finding prices) but if the description has it (ie something written manually and not just an ebay setting) then the buyer really means it!

alaric

Where from and to?

My friends run a transport company based in Kent, with another depot in Doncaster and cover pretty much the hole country. They’ll quote for pretty much anything, and give you a good price if you can fit in with their other work, obviously the price is likely to go up if you ask for them to go out of their way more.

Give Chris a call at IAC Delivery Solution, 01795-475222 chris at iacdelivery.co.uk

IAC Delivery Solutions

sharkattack

I drive between Sheffield and Newcastle on the regular. I’ll transport anything that fits in a Skoda Yeti in exchange for a slab of Stella and petrol money.

I’ll do it I half the time if it fits in my Fiesta.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

where is the bike at and where are you at?

This week its Cambridge and London. Reseerchung in advance in case I win it. Next week who knows. See a few I fancy that say collection only. Some will allow a courier if buyer arranges
    Its the un boxed bit. Many (understandbly) can’t be arsed.

Still, safer than offering them a coffee.

I’ve heard there is a guy on here that’ll do almost anything for a Gregg’s sausage roll.

politecameraaction
    Free Member

This week its Cambridge and London.

Can’t you just go and pick it up on the train?

cromolyolly
    Free Member

Can’t you just go and pick it up on the train?

That one I could, depending on timing. Although tbh, if it was boxed I could get it sent for around $20 iirc. Factor in my time, tickets etc. That’s worth it

Sometimes I see them further away though, so good to have the info in advance.

fooman

Shiply come through are a couple of days early quotes can be high. One time I offered to pay extra and send packing materials then arrange collection, which seller was happy with.

convert

I don’t understand sellers who say collection only then cave and allow it. It’s not the getting the materials that’s the faff, it’s the packing the potential fallout if claimed to be damaged (or the buying is too incompetent to put it together properly and claims it to be faulty).

If you think you are going to cave, state available for delivery at the start and massively increase your audience and therefore the final price. Advertising as collection only then caving is the very worst of all worlds.

cromolyolly
    Free Member

If you think you are going to cave, state available for delivery at the start and massively increase your audience and therefore the final price. Advertising as collection only then caving is the very worst of all worlds.
    Posted 6 hours ago

I agree. I usually skip those. Once in a while if it’s something I really want, I’ll be cheeky and ask.

Maybe it is a way of weeding out the chancers and xbox traders? If I bother to ask (and maybe how I ask?) They know I’m serious and not a knob?

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Couriers for unboxed bikes’ is closed to new replies.