Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • could you clean your chain with…
  • spawnofyorkshire

coca-cola?*

You know how if you leave a penny in coke overnight it leaves it all clean and shiny

could you do the same with a chain to get it all clean and sparkling?

*other brands of teeth rotting fizzy-pop are available

scaredypants

I go one better and use a big vat of hot sulphuric acid – not quite so mmmm-tasty though

ransos
    Free Member

The only thing you need to clean your chain is a clean rag.

sneakyg4
    Free Member

cleaning a chain? Was not aware this was possible. You sir, are out of control.

globalti
    Free Member

No. You need a surfactant or a solvent to remove the accumulated dried oil or wax.

jamiep
    Free Member

Cola is good for removing rust (as is vinegar) but doesn’t really penetrate grease. White spirit is better for that

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

For the record, Coke contains phosphoric acid, not sulphuric.

scaredypants

For the record, Coke contains phosphoric acid, not sulphuric.

I did say I go a step further

Also for the record, I don’t use a big vat of any hot acid for cleaning chains, but then I have a filthy drivetrain 🙁

monkeychild
    Free Member

You need to go and have a chat with roady tony!!! That is unacceptable behaviour!!! You need to massage it with oil, then stroke it gently with a merino cloth, once finished it needs to be handed to a nubile lady for lubrication.

cakefacesmallblock

On its birthday, or once the rag is too soiled to remove any more crud, I dump my chain in a bowl of hot water with a dash of Persil in.
    Scrub it round with a brush stolen from the kitchen. Take it out, blast it with gt85, wipe off after 5 mins , oil it and stick it back on the bike.

ransos
    Free Member

No. You need a surfactant or a solvent to remove the accumulated dried oil or wax.

You don’t – need to remove it, that is.

http://www.cyclorama.net/viewArticle.php?id=349&subjectId=9

forexpipz
    Free Member

White spirit is insanely good and cheap but its not necessary. You only need to scrub and wipe with an old rage then re-lube. Single speed all the way baby. AVe it.

ThePinkster

Even if you could why would you? Have you seen the price of proper Coke these days?

A few drops of Fenwicks FS1 does a brilliant job on my chain and only takes about 5 mins from application to clean & shiny.

spawnofyorkshire

I use white spirit myself, but was just having think on the trap this morning that i needed to clean my chain and the idea of using coke jumped up into the noggin

Dickyboy

was just having think on the trap this morning that i needed to clean my chain and the idea of using coke jumped up into the noggin

via the nostril no doubt if thoughts like that occur to you on the crapper

FuzzyWuzzy

Depends if you’re trying to clean the chain or make it look clean. An old rag can’t properly clean the chain, all you’re doing is taking the junk off the faceplates, you’re not doing anything with the rollers where the wear takes place. It’s still debatable whether you should actually degrease the rollers but assuming you are then a chain bath or take it off and shake it in a jam jar (both using solvent), coke would work eventually I guess but slower than a decent degreaser

klumpy
    Free Member

Spin the chain while drenching liberally in mucoff, scrub with nylon brush, flush with water (hose or sponge), dry with rag, blast through with WD40. 5 minutes.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘could you clean your chain with…’ is closed to new replies.