• This topic has 12 replies, 11 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by igm.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Couch to 5K – What next?
  • jimfrandisco
    Free Member

After not running for a few years I’ve just got back into it slowly by doing the Couch 25K podcast/app thing from the BBC. Pretty simple, but the gradually changing interval runs motivated me to stay interested and get up to 30mins running.
    Would like to go onto something else similar to get faster/fitter. Obviously I could just run further each time, but limited to 30-40mins in the morning before getting the family up.
    Any suggestions for good apps/podcasts that are similar – i.e very simple, progressive, no music and not much talking?
    cheers

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

There’s loads of interval apps, or try fartlek runs, or hill sessions if you have any nearby?.

If I only have 40 mins, I really like to spend 5 mins looking at strava, pick out 3 or 4 segments around 400-600m long, go out, warm up, hit each one of them and keep it slow in between.

If you keep doing it every now and then, it’s a great wee marker of how you’re progressing.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Just do it faster, this is logical compared to going further.

jimfrandisco
    Free Member

Ha. Yes, going faster is an option!
    App/podcast recommendations that add a bit of structure and motivation would probably be more successful though.
    Will take a look at Strava segments as well, didn’t know people used it for intervals etc.

stripeysocks
    Free Member

Your local running club may well still be going – ours is, divvied up into pace-based groups of 6 – I’m in the 11+ mins/mile (in reality closer to 13 ahem) – I know it’s not always the case but if you check out the results for a local race you’ll see which clubs have members of about your speed.

But if you need to stick to morning sessions – a 5k to 10k program and some sort of virtual challenge with a nice looking medal?

dannyh
    Free Member

STW you should be ashamed. The answer is obviously 5k to couch.

Kick back, get the ale and pies in, then do it all again in six months!

lunge

Your local running club may well still be going – ours is, divvied up into pace-based groups of 6 – I’m in the 11+ mins/mile (in reality closer to 13 ahem) – I know it’s not always the case but if you check out the results for a local race you’ll see which clubs have members of about your speed.

This is great advise. If you post in the running thread I’m sure someone will know a club somewhere. Our club has 6 or 8 groups going out twice per week ranging from 12 minute miles to 7’s. It’s great as you have a social element and can push yourself with a slightly quicker group. I like nothing more than getting my head kicked in by a fast group, it’s made me a much quicker, better and more resilient runner.

Plus, when it returns pakrun is also great to push yourself.

Or just enter a few races, nothing like a date to aim at the make you get out there.

oldtennisshoes

If you’ve got a suitable watch you could setup your own intervals, speed, distance, time, effort etc., based to help mix it up. I use my Garmin for HIIT sprints 3 times a week.
    Alternatively, there are some running coaching tracks on Spotify that might work for you.

alanl
    Free Member

Park Run would be perfect if it was running at the moment. It isnt a race, but there are always people who have to be faster than others, so try that, and keep up with the faster ones as long as you can.

MoreCashThanDash

STW you should be ashamed. The answer is obviously 5k to couch.

Kick back, get the ale and pies in, then do it all again in six months!

You follow me on Strava don’t you?

sailor74
    Free Member

i prefer just to run rather than follow apps. dont know where you run but if it’s road try switching to the woods if there is something local, its much more interesting and therefore easier to stay motivated. night time trail running adds even more fun and should fit right in during the dark mornings.

tuboflard

As @sailor74 says, get trail running if not already. Don’t focus on anything too much as the moment, just build up time out of the door and/or frequency of getting out each week. Which ever works for you.

I’ve gone from doing ultras last year to being housebound this year through one thing and another, think I’ve done about 20k in the last month which is embarrassing. Hopefully put that right in 2021.

igm

Over the summer I started doing village to village off road.
    There’s something really satisfying about linking 3 or 4 villages on routes you can only do (officially) by foot.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Couch to 5K – What next?’ is closed to new replies.