Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • cottage in the yorkshire dales?
  • sadexpunk

got a few days off next week so looking at taking wife, eldest lad (23) and our little dog away for a couple of days or so.  done the peak district a few times but never done the dales, probably cos the peak has always been perfectly adequate and closer (we’re in lincoln)

its a minefield going through all the cottage websites and airbnb, has anyone got any recommendations for a nice 2 bed cottage in a lovely village, walking distance to a pub with good grub?

wifes done her ankle in, so we’re thinking more relaxing, hot tub, good food with maybe a leg stretch for the pooch rather than long walks.

ideally south dales and it goes without saying, itd be good if we could find something not tooooo pricey.

thanks

Esme
    Free Member

Not the Yorkshire Dales, but Hebden Bridge might suit your requirements.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I can’t recommend a cottage but head to Grassington or that area-ish.  The Fountaine Inn in Linton is very good for food, so I hear.

sadexpunk

thanks.  thought HB might be a bit too far but it actually seems nearer than grassington.  do you know of any cottages or decent pubs there esme?

ta

martinhutch

The Fountaine Inn in Linton is very good for food, so I hear.

I had pretty much the worst meal out I’ve had in the Dales there! Craven Arms in Appletreewick would be my recommendation for a weekday bar meal. Food has always been awesome.

As for walks with a bad ankle, probably riverside stuff is the best, so maybe base yourself in one of the villages next to the Wharfe – Burnsall, Grassington, Kettlewell etc

Can’t help with the cottage I’m afraid, as I’ve never had to look for one.

Esme
    Free Member

I think the reason you’re having difficulty finding a suitable cottage is that they don’t really exist. Well they do, but there certainly won’t be many.

Properties with hot tubs tend to be barn conversions out on the moors, whereas cottages in villages tend to not have space for a tub.

So the question is, how important is the hot tub?

slowoldman

‘Ot tub? Int’ Dales? Strewth!

jaylittle
    Free Member

My mates sister has this place in Hawes.

https://m.facebook.com/thesnugholidaycottage/?ref=content_filter

sadexpunk

looks like hawes is about 3 hours away for us, maybe pushing it a bit, but thanks anyway.

ill have a look at the other options, and thanks esme, ive replied to your email.

definitely interested in HB, looks a lovely place.

cheers

martinhutch

Who needs a hot tub when you can lie back and relax * in all this Yorkshire goodness?

* well, more fatal than relaxing.

johndoh
    Free Member

Can’t recommend anywhere in particular, but try looking here – a proper local owned and operated holiday lets company and if you give them a call they will be able to recommend something suitable for your needs.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

The Fountaine Inn in Linton is very good for food, so I hear.

Had a great mixed grill in here a couple of years back, washed down with a couple of pints of decent Thwaites (yep, Lancs ale!). Stayed in Starbotton too, but the local pub was terrible. Kettlewell is walkable though.

Askrigg, near Hawes, was probably the best place I’ve stayed in the Dales though (three times now). Good choice of pubs, local brewery, loads of walks without having to use the car…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘cottage in the yorkshire dales?’ is closed to new replies.