Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Cotic Jeht on jumps/park ridding?
  • james1992
    Free Member

Hey I’m thinking about getting a Cotic Jeht. Been looking at the flare max for a while now. But fanced a bit more travel.
    I fairly new to mtb I ride peaslake Surrey hills but I’ll be going to rogate downhill and trips to Wales etc..

I’m about 95kg is the steel frame be too flexy for my weight?

Does anyone ride the flare max or rocket max in the parks?

I know that cotic is perfect for natural terrain but can it handle trips to bike parks too?

Or should I look at something else?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

trumpton
    Free Member

Contact cotic.They will be helpful.

joepud
    Free Member

I honestly think you will be fine. I have a 27.5 Rocket and I have never really had any issues where ever I been, all that lets me down is a lack of ability. Pre covid I would split my riding time between surrey and south wales (where I grew up) so like a bit of BPW/Black Mountain on the odd occasion and local trails and its never let me down. im like 10kg or so less than you but have never noticed any flex i would say the bike just feels really solid and stable no matter what you put it through.

thols2

They sound a bit fragile. Apparently, they will explode in flames if you fit a shock with the wrong tune.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/cotic-jeht-and-shock-options/

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I’ve got the non-longshot Rocket Max, so 140mm of travel and similar weight to you. The bike is solid despite my clumsiness over the rough stuff. It’s my only MTB so use it for everything – XC bimbling, trail centres (reds and blacks), natural trails near me in the Peak District, and several uplift days at BPW and Antur Stiniog and the bike has never missed a beat or given me any signs of the bike offering up any limitations at all. It’s been a great bike so far and no plans to change it any time soon. Fancy other bikes of course, but given he cost to swap over I know the bike wont be much better so what’s the point other than just fancying a change. I’m sure the Jeht will be fine for whatever you want to do.

james1992
    Free Member

@thols2 Ha ha don’t think so.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Sounds like quite a linear leverage ratio curve and the steel frame compliance certainly wouldn’t be my first choice for bike park style riding. I’d want something progressive for pop and some more stiffness to pump hard through berms.

I owned a fairly linear steel framed bike.

james1992
    Free Member

@getonyourbike you’re probably right. I’m not looking for a bike park bike. But as im Surrey I don’t have anything too big near by 90% of my riding will be within a couple of hours away. With a few trips to Wales etc..
    The cotic are meant to be great for big natural terrain but Ill be riding parks too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Might be worth a look at the Privateer 141?

Seems to be on the more burly side (not saying Cotics aren’t) and IIRC the Privateer bikes have quite progressive suspension curves – as well as progressive geometry.

Anyway, something 140mm-ish seems a good choice for the Surrey Hills and bike park visits too.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Cotics are built for hammering the Peak District so plenty burley enough for anyone. Any more burliness is just added weight for more capability you cannot use unless you’re doing something really silly.If you need any more burliness you need a full on DH rig.

joepud
    Free Member

The cotic are meant to be great for big natural terrain but Ill be riding parks too.

I feel like you might be over thinking it a a bit, its a 140mm do it all bike so will be perfectly fine. Personally I would have no issues with taking that anywhere you mentioned. Out of interest what do you think makes them better for big natural terrain? It’s never something I have thought about when riding mine.

james1992
    Free Member

@joepud

Cotic mentioned and plenty of other people say that the steel is compliant and rolls with the terrain so the steel frame can give more grip and smooth things out nicely.
    But on the flip side when charging or turning in berms the flex isn’t what you want.

Pros and cons.

You’re right about overthinking but it’s 4.5k+ bike and it’s a lot of money for me. So I’m finding hard to warrant spendings that much cash!

james1992
    Free Member

But I do like cotic and it’s pretty much what I’m looking for

intheborders
    Free Member

I fairly new to mtb I ride peaslake Surrey hills but I’ll be going to rogate downhill and trips to Wales etc..

It’ll be great for anything you want to throw at it TBH, based on my Flaremax (every thing from natural to trail centres to bike parks to supersteep off-piste).

And haven’t they got a 30 day return policy anyway?

joepud
    Free Member

You’re right about overthinking but it’s 4.5k+ bike and it’s a lot of money for me. So I’m finding hard to warrant spendings that much cash!

yeh, I see your point I spent a similar amount on mine and its a lot of money 4.5k for a push bike! I was lucky that I demoed mine pre covid so after a few laps at FOD I was sold. I would say some people often think long 29ers can feel a little dead but realistically you just need to give them a fair bit of stick and throw them about to get the best out of them. For me though im 6ft+ and have never had a bike that fit so well.

One thing I will say the aftercare from Cotic is second to none. In fact once there was a demo at peaslake and happened to roll past and ended up chatting to the guys and they ended up helping me set my rear shock up as I wasn’t 100% happy with it despite having loads of demo customers to deal with.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Jeht on jumps/park ridding?’ is closed to new replies.