Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Cotic escapade and trp spyre fouling spokes in front wheel update
  • burko73

Hi

Posted a week or so ago about my spyres I’m trying to fit contacting the spokes on the front wheel of my escapade (mk1). I’m using love mud orbit wheels with nano’s and running tubeless.

I haven’t tried the bigger (180) discs yet as I ordered new and different is to post mount adaptors thinking I could get the calliper further away from the spokes. I was going to file down an adaptor to move the calliper away from the spokes or widen the mount holes to give more adjustment.

thing is, if I take them any further away, the calliper is too far away from the disc and I’ll also need a disc shim.

I tried the original cotic, own branded wheels (not tubeless) and lo and behold, no such issues. it looks like the width between flanges on the loved wheel is wider than the cotic wheel and as a result the spokes foul the calliper with the wheels.

has anyone resolved this? is it worth getting a new front hub built onto my wheel – one with a narrower flange to flange measurement or one with a shallower flange?

P20

Is there enough room to shim the rotor further out? You can get rotor shims provided the bolts will still clear the fork

mrsi
    Free Member

I’m running spyres on my escapade with hope pro 2 hubs and no issues. Kinesis crosslight wheels were also fine, (both with 160mm rotors) sounds like odd sized hubs to me.

Bez

I used some thin shims on the rotor. I just about managed to clear the spokes with two shims and without filing the adapter, but that was all the leeway I had. (SP PD-8 hub; nearly had the same issue with an XT dynohub, but it had a millimetre or so more to play with.)

Failing that, BB7s 😉

shortbread_fanylion
    Free Member

Did what Bez did for my Spyres – no issues since.

burko73

I could shim the rotor out fine, loads of room. prob is id still need to do something to push the calliper further outboard.

whats the cost of a hope hub built onto my rim?

Could it be that the mounts/ forks differ? What yr is your escapade? I assume its a mk 1 with steel forks?

Bez

whats the cost of a hope hub built onto my rim?

Many, many times more than the cost of a new caliper bracket if you need to modify the existing one and—by some stroke of inconceivably monumental ineptitude—you end up fubarring it.

It’s a bit like finding out that your new bathroom door rubs on the doorframe, and deciding to pull your bathroom wall down and rebuild it.

burko73

problem is it would be useful to have both sets of wheels interchangeable without also changing the caliper bracket. The original wheels (which I use with road tyres) seem to fit and don’t rub, the alpkit love mud wheels rub on the calliper.

Is there a standard disc hub width for the spoke flanges?

Even if I could get hold of another cotic front hub (or whatever it is before being re-branded) and get the wheel built with that…

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Cotic escapade and trp spyre fouling spokes in front wheel update’ is closed to new replies.