Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Cosplay – Middle aged man content
  • Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

STW wisdom required…..

Is cosplay a legitimate pastime for a 44 year old teacher?

Just got back from a brilliant day with my 7 year-old daughter. She went as Princess Leia and I went as Marty McFly. Bumped into loads of students from my school.

Bloody good fun!

Anyone else like “dress-up” and willing to share? LOL

Cougar

Of course it is (though I hate the term, it puts me in mind of Japanese businessmen with a schoolgirl fetish).  “Fancy dress” sounds more wholesome.

Not something I make a habit of, but I have done it once.  I’ve attended a number of sci-fi / fantasy type cons where a lot of people dress up (Sci-Fi Weekender, formerly SFX, and Nine Worlds).  I went as Captain Jack Sparrow.

Also, this thread is useless without pictures.

bearnecessities

I have done it once

We know.

zippykona

I frequently dress up as a cyclist.

aracer
    Free Member

zippykona wrote:

I frequently dress up as a cyclist.

pervert

molgrips
    Free Member

I’m tempted, but I’d have to come up with an amusing obscure character. Like say, the junky who tries to rob Corbyn Dallas in 5th element.

Jamie
    Free Member

*lightning bolt!*

rene59
    Free Member

I thought cosplay was something consenting adults done in some weird fetish sex dungeon place.

jimjam
    Free Member

When I used to go out for Halloween I used to love dressing up as film and tv characters, Dirty Harry, Nathan Wind/ Cochise, Tyler Durden, Magnum PI, Micheal Knight, MacGyver etc. It was always fun running into the other saddos who recognized who I was trying to be, there was copious alcohol involved too (same with cosplay I’m led to believe). So I couldn’t really be critical of Cosplayers. Just remember it’s not a religion or your traditional cultural attire, so don’t get super riled up when people (rightly) take the piss.

P-Jay
    Free Member

A question to Cosplay fans – does every event have those remarkable looking female cosplayers I see on click bait from time to time… because if so…

Poopscoop

Dress up in Steam Punk for quite a few events and it’s bloody fantastic!

I’m 49 for reference. It’s odd getting strangers asking to have their pictures taken with you! 😜

Poopscoop

For PJay…. Stream punk style. This isn’t me btw.

https://imgur.com/gallery/IGdov

tewit
    Free Member

I thought you were asking us about whether liking Coldplay in middle age was legitimate for a second. That would be **** wrong.

maxtorque

Hmm, i suspect context is everything:

OK:  Cosplaying with your young children

OK: Cosplaying with a cool bunch of young adults with whom you also spend social time outside of cosplay

NOT OK: Cosplaying by yourself

😉

SaxonRider

I think that, if you enjoy it and it contributes positively to your life, then no problem. But I’m totally with Cougar on the term. ‘Cosplay’ sound like a pervert’s term. Fancy dress or dressing up in character or just about anything else seems to work better.

Jamie
    Free Member

I dunno. It feels like someone else is doing it….

Cosplay’ sound like a pervert’s term

I think that says more about you and Cougar. As it’s the universal term across the world.

RobHilton
    Free Member

You’re thinking of fantasy dress

ads678

I just think of those losers on crystal maze when I hear the term cosplay!!

Ming the Merciless
    Free Member

Yaya Han

bencooper
    Free Member

Does being Malcolm Reynolds inside your head whenever you wear a certain coat count?

sweepy
    Free Member

You’re thinking of fantasy dress

Well I wasn’t, but I am now

Cougar

Does being Malcolm Reynolds inside your head whenever you wear a certain coat count?

Space cowboy?

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Is cosplay a legitimate pastime for a 44 year old teacher?

I think you know the answer or you wouldn’t be asking the question

bikebouy
    Free Member

In it’s base form what is Acting?

Its dressing up, imitation of a character, depiction of a scene/scenario and following a storyline to perform a routine to either convince an audience or in private.

TedC

Seems fine to me. Thousands of people do it every Saturday afternoon, sometimes in their home town, sometimes they go in coaches and minibuses (usually with multiple items of subgroup iconography in the windows) to other towns to meet other sub-groups of the same genre. Apparently gets a lot of coverage on TV with channels devoted to it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Riding around in the woods and coming across a bunch of LARPers is an weird experience, though they looked like they were having fun.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Dress up in lurid coloured clothing covered in bits of foam and plastic with funny glasses and some weird looking head gear.Some contraption strapped on your back with pipes sticking out of it.

Then ride your Santa Cruz round Cannock.

onlysteel
    Free Member

So Mrs is out and I’m all dressed up, but what do I do with the lettuce?

RustySpanner

I did a bit of LARPing as a kid.

Went to The Gathering for a mate’s stag do and enjoyed it so much we went back for a couple of years after that.

I like acting and dressing up, it was fun. Loads of things to get involved in, all sorts of people. Some people go purely for the in game politics, believe it or not, but I found ‘kidnapping’ (willing) attractive female dark elves and holding them to ransom a better option.

Who knew that robbery with violence could be so much fun?

hugo
    Free Member

The word “cosplay” somehow manages to create more a shudder than phablet…

Combine it with “steampunk”…..oh, god…..just no.

Dressing up in costumes and having bantz with others about is like a cross between line dancing, Dungeons & Dragons, and non-contact dogging.

maxtorque

Genuine LOL to Rorschach’s post ^^^^

RustySpanner

Dressing up in costumes and having bantz with others about is like a cross between line dancing, Dungeons & Dragons, and non-contact dogging.

Yes, those were the bits I enjoyed. Apart from the line dancing.

BobaFatt
    Free Member

expectation

Reality

ThePinkster

I’m just relieved it’s not a Coldplay tribute act.

JoeG
    Free Member

slowoldman

Fancy Dress – OK

Cosplay – not so much. I’ll make an exception if you inhabit Harajuku.

tomhoward

I’ll play dress up if it means spending an afternoon enjoying the company of Jessica Nigri?

Had to google her? You’re most welcome.

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Cosplay – Middle aged man content’ is closed to new replies.