Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)
  • Cornering Pt 2
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Is this that filthy trilogy my Wife has finnished reading in about 3 days and then saying i should read it

I think that’s what counts as a message being sent. Only question is which side she’s expecting to be on

AlexSimon

My cornering improved greatly after seeing that Fabien Barel video (free with some rubbish mag iirc).
    Then I saw that ‘twisting your hips’ ‘third eye’ video on Midweek Movies a bit ago.

http://vimeo.com/41187732#

This made it a bit clearer for me and given me a bit more to practice with.

It really works. More importantly, it feels really fun to do.

jimification
    Free Member

That Fabian Barrel video is top notch. Best vid I’ve seen for cornering.

I still don’t really understand why you push your inside hand down though, that would seem to make your front wheel want to wash out, surely?

AlexSimon

That Fabian Barrel video is top notch. Best vid I’ve seen for cornering.

I still don’t really understand why you push your inside hand down though, that would seem to make your front wheel want to wash out, surely?

I think it’s about straightening that one, and bending the other, which puts the bike in a lean while keeping the body straighter. Looking back at that Barel vid, specifically his weight looks to be more above the tyres contact patch.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I think it’s more to do with leaning the bike more than yourself, if you have the inside arm bent then you’re shifint your weight inside the bike and not leaning it enough (or your bodyweight oo far).

Seriously, try the hips thing first, doing that forces you to do everything else properly anyway (IME).

hexhamstu
    Free Member

If you lean in to a corner with or more than the bike and the tyres slide out you will hit the deck as the force holding you up relies on the friction force between your tyre and the floor.

If you position your weight over the contact patch then even if or when the bike slides you will not fall over and you will soon find drifting the bike much more controllable. This in-turn allows you to ride closer to the limit. This method of cornering also increased the force acting directly downward into the contact patch of your tyre which increases the friction. Allowing you to go faster without sliding.

This is how I understood it anyway. As soon as I started leaning the bike over and opening my body to the exit of the corner I instantly felt more comfortable and more in control of the bike.

Viewing 7 posts - 41 through 47 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Cornering Pt 2’ is closed to new replies.