Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • CordlessLawnmowerTrackWorld
  • dovebiker

I’m in the market for a cordless lawnmower as Mrs DB wants something light and easy to use so that rules out petrol – any recommendations? I have about 500 metres squared in total – biggest ‘patch’ is about 200 metres squared.

Inclined to go for a Makita as I already have some stuff but wanted to check what else is out there / real world experiences?

chipster

I got a Makita DLM432PT2 in the January sales this year. I would have thought that you’d need a bigger mower than that, but for our size lawns, it’s bang on.

finephilly
    Free Member

I think you’ll be recharging the batteries a couple of times on a lawn of that area. I used one with 2 x 20v 2amp batteries and that still only just did 100m2 on a single charge.

Using two 5amp x 20v batteries, that might get close to 500m2.
    You could end up buying 2 sets of batteries or front one day, back the next!
    https://turfmechanic.com/strongest-battery-powered-lawn-mower/

poe82
    Free Member

Ego power plus 56v. Consistently gets the best reviews. my experience is they are more robust than the little Makita batteries.
    Check out opereviews.com they seem to be pretty impartial on their group tests and all the big names are tested

goldfish24

Running a makita dlm380 on 2x4ah batteries here on a 75m2 lawn.

Yes this mower is light and easy, can definitely recommend going cordless on that basis. It’s a joy. Just push it out and go mowing, makes it a quick job so I’m mowing more frequently and the lawn is better for it.

But your lawn is bigger. So I wouldn’t recommend going for any more budget brands. I’d go at least with makita, and probably one with a bigger deck than my 38cm model, otherwise you’ll be mowing all day.

As for batteries, I use a quarter of the 2x4ah batteries to do 75m2 to do a light mow. Sounds like you might want 4 batteries at 4ah or the biggest 5ah. You’re gonna be in for nearly a grand for one of the bigger deck mowers from makita plus 4 batteries.
    Might be worth it.
    At that point, worth looking at the other premium brands doing cordless like stihl. I’ve no experience to offer there.

k1sport
    Free Member

I have a Makita and wouldn’t go back,. Although I would probably look at a cheap Aldi one.

As everyone has pointed out, you are stretching it with your lawn size.

But lawn size is only one factor. The cordless is so much more sensitive to how level your lawn is, how thick your grass and how sharp the blade.

Super level, cut regular, scarified each year with a sharp blade and you will fly around. On the other hand, rough old lawn with thick agricultural grass and it will be a full time job.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve got a Viking. Part if the Stihl group and now branded Stihl. It’s great. Battery lasts well, cuts our crazy long grass on a very uneven lawn. We keep some disjointed patches of lawn and try to keep as much natural as possible and it works well for that. Easy to move around between the areas. We have a couple of other matching tools so have another battery on the go. Means even if one runs out you can carry on.

intheborders
    Free Member

500m2 feels a fair amount for a cordless, especially if it’s not perfectly flat and has had a couple of weeks growth.

Unsure how much we’ve got, but I Strava’d a cut and it recorded at a 2 mile walk – try yours.

dovebiker

We’re on the Isle of Mull so definitely more like rough pasture than bowling green – the grass has just been seeded so it will be a few weeks yet until needing cut. Some areas are going to be more wild meadow, so will only be cut every month or two rather than weekly. Seen a Makita with a brushless motor and metal deck, so will probably better withstand the stones, of which there are plenty.

huggis
    Free Member

Hey everyone I’m in a similar boat. Have around 1200 m2 and toying with idea of going electric. Was looking at the Cobra MX51S80V which has 2 x 40V 5.0ah batteries. That said not sure it’s enough for my area. Currently have about half the area covered by a flymo robo mower which is now kaput the rest by a Toro Timemaster which although big clogs up so much I’m looking to replace. Thoughts on petrol vs electric?

nickjb
    Free Member

Thoughts on petrol vs electric?

I really don’t like petrol for garden tools. It has its place for professional use but not usually in the garden imo. It’s noisy and polluting. I’d reduce the amount of lawn, have a bit more natural and wild if you can. That’ll be less work for you and better for biodiversity. Love our battery mower and works particularly well for doing patches of lawn amongst wildflower meadow and paths in between.

huggis
    Free Member

good thought but that’s a bigger change than I’m looking to make just now to the garden. Was in the progress of expanding robo’s route to cover more of the lawn before it packed up! Maybe I’ll carry on on that trajectory and get a smaller cordless of the remaining area.

rickon
    Free Member

We bought a Greenworks 40v a few months ago, and it’s been a revelation. We have a few gardens to do around the house, and can do two on one battery. The mulcher is amazing, no more grass cuttings to empty.

Could never go back to corded, and a petrol one is far too heavy.

It’s been so good, I’ve bought their strimmer, hedge cutter and leaf blower/sucker.

john_l
    Free Member

Just got a Gtech CLM50 – it’s a revelation! Borrowed my neigbours a couple of weeks ago and was really surprised at how good it was. Currently £200 off.

pondo

Thoughts on petrol vs electric?

We switched from petrol to cordless this spring, been very, very happy with the Erbauer cordless – very light, really quiet, 2×18 volt batteries (don’t remember the amperage) plenty for us, 46cm blade a smidge bigger than our petrol. Not sure how big our lawn is, mebbe 30x8m? Only had to recharge mid-cut once when it had been left for a few weeks.

Edit: Mulch FTW!

dovebiker

Makita with 46cm blade arrived this morning – it’s a chunky beast in comparison to some of the flimsy plastic jobs I saw in Homebase. The new lawn needs another week before it can be cut – it’s needing watering everyday as we’ve had so little rain these last few weeks.
    Now can’t decide on whether I need a strimmer (already have a corded one) or a brush cutter- we’re on the edge of a wild meadow with lots of bracken.

bongle

Do any of these mowers have a roller attachment? Call me old fashioned but I quite like a stripey lawn, and I think you need some.sort of roller to do so?

pondo

Neither my previous petrol nor my cordless have rollers.

nixie

@bongle our cordless mountfield has a roller.

bongle

Thanks guys.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘CordlessLawnmowerTrackWorld’ is closed to new replies.