Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Converting superstar hub to nut up axle
  • nwmlarge
    Free Member

I have a superstar rear wheel which I would like to set up with a threaded axle for a Dartmoor Shine.

superstar don’t sell any of this type.

I have a 10mm bolt through quick release axle but it does slip sometimes under duress.

can anyone suggest a supplier or someone who sells a product that would do this?

Standard hub spacing, rough measuring would need it to be approx 180mm wide.

Can be smooth to the centre with threads at the end.

Photo of the bike because its awesome.

otsdr
    Free Member
    nwmlarge
    Free Member

That certainly looks like it would fit the bill.

Are you aware of any issues whereby the thread is in contact with the bearing inner races?

otsdr
    Free Member

Can’t think of any issues, the interference between the endcaps and the dropouts should keep the wheel firmly fixed, the axle won’t actually support the load through the inner races. Are you sure the inner diameter of the bearings is 10mm? Usually SS/Novatec hubs are convertible to 12mm, so the bearings should be at least 12mm ID.

The correct axle to use would be something like https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/hub-spares/wheels-manufacturing-cromoly-10-x-1-shimano-thread-rear-axle-solid-nutted-187mm/ , the one above was BMX-specific.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I see what you are saying and I have in turn answered my own question.

The hub has the 10mm conversion so it won’t have any interference issues as it will only be contacting the insert.

Trigger pulled thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Converting superstar hub to nut up axle’ is closed to new replies.