Home Forums Bike Forum Convert 7speed freewheel to SS

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Convert 7speed freewheel to SS
  • chorscroft
    Free Member

How do I go about turning a wheel with a 7 speed shimano freewheel into a single speed?

I’ve seen the kits to turn cassette hubs into SS with spacers and a cog but not freewheels.

What’s the best way to do it?

Also what tool do I need to remove this freewheel:

Cheers

Conor

Junkyard
    Free Member

tool is a casetter removal tool and a chain whip (get an oil filter one from Halford as cheaper
    Dont really get what you are asking when you take the caseette off you wil eithe rhave a free wheel or a screw thread
    Free wheel = one of those kits
    screw = a screw on single speed kit (I think you can get these but not sure where and may be wrong

chorscroft
    Free Member

This is a freewheel but so I need a freewheel specific tool not a cassette tool…

You can get screw on freewheels but they are the bmx type and so would position the cog right against the hub whereas I need it further out for a good chainline.

I was hoping there would be like a normal 7 speed freewheel but with only one cog positioned roughly in the middle

Junkyard
    Free Member

NO that is a cassette the free wheel is underneath it OR the casette screws on to the hub itself and the casette free wheels

I cant tell from the picture it could be eaither

IT looks like threads as cassette has a lock ring that laps over on to the last cog

chorscroft
    Free Member

Freewheels have the cassette integral to the freewheel.

Cassettes slide onto a splined freehub which is part of the whole hub.

This is the former a freewheel

Junkyard
    Free Member

It is late I will get my coat though
    sheldon says

A single BMX freewheel will thread right on. Unfortunately, the chain line is likely to only work with your granny gear unless you re-space the rear axle and re-dish the wheel.

chorscroft
    Free Member

Yeah I read that bit 🙁

Perhaps now is the time to finally attempt the one bike mechanic skill that has alluded me…

Rebuilding a wheel around a cassette hub!

mattsccm
    Free Member

Why? If you have a free wheel you have the best solution. All those cassette conversions are nowt but bodges. Stick a free wheel on. Scrounge a used one first if you are feeling really tight. Try the middle chain ring position. If all else fails fiddle with the wheel spacers and as a last resort redish it slowly. Sheldon is good but he didn’t know every modern mountain bike by far.

simon1975

Yes I recognise that – it’s a freewheel as you say. The spined tool to remove it is about a fiver (I have one you could use if you can visit me in Nottingham!). Or take it to your local shop – it’s a 10 second job to remove it with the right tool! The whole lot comes off leaving your bare hub which is threaded. Then you should be able to just screw on a singlespeed freewheel – White Industries (£70ish), Shimano (£20ish), Dicta (£8ish). Chainline might be a bit of an issue but you can play with that at the chainrings.

And I don’t think you can “convert” that 7-speed – if you try dismantling it you’ll see a step in the body of the underlying freewheel – some of the cogs are splined (not like a 9-speed cassette) and some screw on… Not worth the effort, buy a freewheel!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Convert 7speed freewheel to SS’ is closed to new replies.