Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Contract when selling a bike
  • jk1980
    Free Member

I’ve got my YT Tues frame advertised at the mo, and have agreed a price with a buyer in Hungary, who is going to arrange for it to be picked up locally and will pay in cash, so that’s all fine with me.

What I’m less sure about is that he wants me to sign a contract. I don’t mind signing the actual contract, but he wants my Name, Address, ‘Identity Card number’ and date of birth. The name and address is fine, but I’m a bit concerned about giving him my DOB and passport/driving license number.

The reason he says he wants all this is because apparently he had a crash a while back and the insurance company refused to pay out as he couldn’t prove that the 2nd hand bike he had actually belonged to him.

Am I right to not want to give him the DOB/Driving license number, or am I worrying about nothing?

dirkpitt74

Not sure about a contract but you do do it as a receipt with amount paid and “sold as seen, no warranty given or implied” and then name address & signatures of both parties.
    I wouldn’t be giving DOB and Passport details.

Bez

If dat be me,
    I’m be over there
    ———————————->
    Wi’ me barge pole innit

survivor

funkmasterp

Looks like a scam sandwich to me

jk1980
    Free Member

Thank you, sounds like I’m right to be sceptical

tomhoward

Isn’t he asking for an identity card though, as in the thing that Gordon Brown proposed but the UK rejected a few years ago? Rather than passport or driving license? IIRC they are pretty common on the continent?

I’d go back saying you are fine with the deal, just no DOB or identify card (for reasons above)? See what he says. As soon as he starts asking to pay more than asking price, that’s when I’d start to worry/back out.

nealglover
    Free Member

Just make it all up.
    Real name etc.
    Random numbers for the rest.
    How would he ever know.

jk1980
    Free Member

Tom – yep pretty much what I said and he wants to pull out if I can’t provide that info. Seems to think the contract is worthless without that.

Neal – He wants the guy who’s picking it up to witness the receipt, i.e. id have to show his mate my driving license/passport to prove I didn’t make it up.

Poopscoop

Unless desperate to sell, just say no thanks and wait for an easier sale.

frankconway

Walk away; will be collected by a mate who will pay in cash & wants you to sign a ‘contract’?
    It stinks.

bigblackshed

Run away. Run far and fast. And above all RUN!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Run Forest, run!

rOcKeTdOg

I had a guy email with almost the same details (mate would call in and pay) but from Bulgaria. Thing was this was for a list price brand new Trek he was desperate for as Trek had no dealers in his country. When I quoted the address of at least two trek dealers within 30 miles of his home address he got all defensive and used the “I have no transport, that’s why I need the bike”….a 3k full suss. His mate collecting idea only came after I pointed out Trek’s policy of not sending bikes in boxes. Smelt very iffy so I politely declined.

Akers

This is clearly just a scam to get personal information so they can clone your identity.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

For this one difficult buyer I bet there are 10 that will just buy it with no hassle.
    I’d politely decline.

sarawak
    Free Member

Run rabbit,
    Run rabbit,
    Run, run, run.

jk1980
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, going to decline this now 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Contract when selling a bike’ is closed to new replies.