Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • continuous gear cable outer on internal routed frame…..
  • alpin
    Free Member

my down tube, or more specifically the grommet/gubbins where the gear cable and brake hose exit the frame had an interaction with with a log.

it left me with a hard ride home in the last gear because the grommet ended up inside the frame and there wasn’t any tension on the gear cable because the outer isn’t continuous.

frame is a Canyon Strive. is there a way of (obviously there is), or rather is it a good idea to drill out the outer stopper near the head tube to allow a continuous outer cable to be passed through?

as it stands i’ve got to contact Canyon tomorrow and try and get a new grommet sent out by next week before going down to italy… will use it as an opportunity to get a spare mech hanger.

damascus
    Free Member

Is it a guided cable inside the frame?

reggiegasket
    Free Member

that’s what I’ve done. Much better than intermittent cables IME. More longevity/reliability to shifting performance, much easier to replace inner, and outer for that matter, and better shifting. Some will say there is more drag but there isn’t. Whether you should drill your own frame is your call though.

alpin
    Free Member

Is it a guided cable inside the frame?

gear cable is naked once it enters the frame.

alpin
    Free Member

Onzadog
    Free Member

My frame uses cables stop plates at either end of the run. I did exactly what you’re considering and drilled them out so I could run full housing all the way. I also slipped some air con insulation over the housing to stop any rattling which seems to have done the trick.

Didn’t have to drill the frame though, just some easily replaced alu plates.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘continuous gear cable outer on internal routed frame…..’ is closed to new replies.