• This topic has 11 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by Joe.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Consumer advice: Warranty replacement item breaking…
  • Joe

Had a kindle with a 12 month warranty…in month 10 it went haywire and amazon replaced it with a new one.

4 months later the kindle has died again and Amazon say i’m out of warranty. Doesn’t seem very fair really considering the hassle of the first one.

br
    Free Member

Sky boxes work the same way, warranty is not extended with a replacement – not sure of the legals etc

jota180
    Free Member

I think the way it works is you get 12 months [although I thought there was some EU regs that better that] for the initial purchase and they still count your replacement as the initial purchase

aidanoggy
    Free Member

Warranty is for the original item, so 12 months from date of purchase of the original. Any replacement is only covered by the balance of warranty left on the original. So it is out of warranty. You may have an argument about it being of merchantable quality, which is the standard that a reasonable person would regard as satisfactory. Theres an argument that one would expect a Kindle to last longer than 10 and 4 months, or 14 months in total. Might be worth throwing the sale of goods act and merchantable quality at them and see what they say

Cougar

It’s still in warranty, there’s a two year EU warranty on all electronic goods. (EU Directive 1999/44/EC.)

totalshell

its certainly out of warranty 1 yr from date of purchase.. etc tec.. HOWEVER.. the sale of goods act says goods must be of a merchantable quality and thus have an expected life cycle.
    if you believe and can persuade amazon that a kindle should last longer than yours did or as a last resort your local trading standards can than you may expect amazon to put you back in your original position ie cash or working kindle..

Cougar

its certainly out of warranty 1 yr from date of purchase.. etc tec..

No, it isn’t.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Tandem Jeremy is really clued up on this and really helpful.I’m sure he’ll be along in a minute……

DickBarton

EU laws states a 2 year warranty but in the UK it is states as 1 year…know the EU law as in this case, it helps.

Cougar

Last I checked, the UK was inside the EU.

Joe

They never actually took the first one away…so today i took the **** battery and motherboard from warranty a and swapped if with the good ones from warranty b which has a **** screen.

Not an ideal solution; but we have aaaaa winnnner!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Consumer advice: Warranty replacement item breaking…’ is closed to new replies.