Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)
  • Sciencologists: can you pass the Christian Science Monitor test?
  • chiefgrooveguru

I gave up at question 2, because it was about biology. I thought it was a science quiz?

When did biology stop being a science?!

46/50 here. Bow down to my (almost) winningness. 😉

julianwilson
    Free Member

martinhutch – Member

What, no questions on the science behind psychiatry?

….and yet I still got 70% 😉

Loving the ‘6014 years’ options in the geology/big bang questions 😆

I thought that for me the maths/mechanics ones would be a breeze, but i did worse on them, whereas astronomy/chemistry (which I really know nothing about in the grand scheme of things) seemed to be much more like ‘trivial pursiuts’ standard questions. ❓

IanMunro
    Free Member

70% All the space ones and biology ones did for me.
    Still remember the day at school when the Biology teacher drew something on the board, asked what it was, and I said that it was an orgasm.

camo16
    Free Member

Still remember the day at school when the Biology teacher drew something on the board, asked what it was, and I said that it was an orgasm.

Your teacher drew a splat?

davidjey
    Free Member

82%. But then I am a scientist.

ourmaninthenorth

Err.. yes.

(“Sciencologists” in the thread title was meant as a reference to the commonly used jib at science types on here – not a slexydic attempt at spelling Scientologists)

Gotcha.

(But, for the rest of you. “Elron” Hubbard in the red corner, Mary Baker Eddy in the blue corner.)

aracer
    Free Member

82%. But then I am a scientist.

I’d have expected scientists to only get a handful right, given they generally know nothing about anything outside their narrow field 😈

miketually
    Free Member

When did biology stop being a science?!

It’s practically a humanities subject 😉

GrahamS

It’s practically a humanities subject

donald
    Free Member

46/50 (92%).

and that’s not how you spell Sulphur 🙂

D0NK

and that’s not how you spell Sulphur

I wasn’t sure whether that was americanism or a biblism

edit or indeed, correct 😳

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes it is.

… the IUPAC adopted the spelling sulfur in 1990, as did the Royal Society of Chemistry Nomenclature Committee in 1992.[43] The Qualifications and Curriculum Authority for England and Wales recommended its use in 2000,[44] and it now appears in GCSE exams.[45] The Oxford Dictionaries note that “In chemistry… the -f- spelling is now the standard form in all related words in the field in both British and US contexts.”

bigrich

88%, not bad for a builder eh?

jebus was a chippie.

miketually
    Free Member

42/50 = 84%

A couple of (educated) guesses that I got right balanced out by making a couple of silly mistakes that I knew were wrong as soon as I submitted. And one wrong answer was a meteorology question, so that doesn’t count.

Not too bad though.

Junkyard
    Free Member

we all know maths is pure it is just a shame it is incomplete * 😉

Without observation it is also pretty useless in scientific terms as the Higgs Boson has just shown – ie we need evidence beyond the “pure” to “know”.

I may have taken your humorous point a little to seriously 😳

* see Godel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6del%27s_incompleteness_theorems

molgrips
    Free Member

Dammit, three wrong, that’s 94% 🙂

Admittedly there were a couple of guesses in there.

And the periodic table questions all had other clues in them or even outright giveaways – I haven’t got the table memorised and I only got one of those wrong.

I got the surface gravity one wrong.. picked Saturn as I knew it was the least dense, so if you presumed it actually had a surface I’m sure it would come out low.

The halogen one – lack of latin skillz.

And the cloud one – just didn’t know.

joao3v16
    Free Member

I’d believe everyone’s %ages more if the questions were’t multiple choice, and you had to actually know the answer without a prompt or the chance to guess …

donald
    Free Member

Yes it is.

Actually, I still prefer ‘brimstone’.

molgrips
    Free Member

I knew the majority of them without needing multiple choice, to be honest.

TiRed

88%. Misread one question, and some guesses on the Space Science field that failed to materialize.

momo

72% should have done better

richmtb

96%. Cloud one got me too

molgrips
    Free Member

Am I in the lead then?

EDIT: no

MrSalmon
    Free Member

72%, but the wording of a lot of the questions gave it away- there’s one that asks what has an atomic weight of x (no idea) and a name derived from the latin for something (one obvious candidate).

GrahamS

Am I in the lead then?

Nope sas claimed to have got 49/50.

I nominate him Chief Scientishalist.

You can be his Understudy.

Edit: ooh richmtb beat you too. You are here by demoted to Under-Understudy.

glenh
    Free Member

Only 80% for me sans any googling, which is a bit poor considering I’m actually a scientist. In my defence I’ve never studied any biology!

MSP

I’d believe everyone’s %ages more if the questions were’t multiple choice, and you had to actually know the answer without a prompt or the chance to guess …

I’d believe everyone’s %ages more if they were lower, it’s like watching an episode of the apprentice…. bullshit bingo anyone?

colournoise

72%.

Not bad for someone who teaches colouring in and watching TV as their day job.

slainte 😆 rob

grum
    Free Member

Oh, my score was actually below 50% btw – I’m not a scientist but I did get A* in my dual award science GCSE. 🙂

loum
    Free Member

Nice link, but I reckon one of the questions does not have the correct answer as an option.
    So I’m giving the quiz a score of 98%. 😉

GrahamS

Nice link, but I reckon one of the questions does not have the correct answer as an option.

Controversial! Which one?

highclimber
    Free Member

78% here. some of them were wild guesses and some I answered to hastily but glad I got more than I expected!

loum
    Free Member

Graham S
    I’ve been weighing up whether they are wrong or not, and tbh it’s not clear 100%. Its a badly worded, leading question that leaves interpretation open. Could be described more as a “wrong question” than a “wrong answer“.
    But in the interests of controversy: 23.

GrahamS

But in the interests of controversy: 23.

Ah.

23. Noting how light from objects that are moving away from the observer tend to shift to the red end of the spectrum, what scientist first established that the universe is expanding?

You’re going to argue that it was that Belgian bloke instead (as mentioned on a thread the other day)? Fair enough, though if you know that then you know the answer they want.

loum
    Free Member

Yup, the Belgian bloke dunnit 🙂
    But you are right, there was an obvious answer they were looking for.

boxfish
    Free Member

84% 🙂

hels
    Free Member

56% – happy with that for a Clasics grad who dropped science at 5th form.

There were some serious freebie points on offer if you studied ancient greek ! Would have done worse without that. Pallas Athena is Greek Lit 101.

aracer
    Free Member

There were some serious freebie points on offer if you studied ancient greek

I was wondering how many of those with really good scores had studied greek/latin.

Ewan
    Free Member

86% Silly mistakes including forgetting how to divide on the nanometer question.

SamCooke
    Free Member

jebus was a chippie.

yeah, but he couldn’t fix two bits of wood together if his life depended on it

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 88 total)

The topic ‘Sciencologists: can you pass the Christian Science Monitor test?’ is closed to new replies.