Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Conduction Headphones – Yay or Nay?
  • moose
    Free Member

I don’t get on with in-ear headphones, I have odd ear canals and can never get them to fit properly! I’ve seen these and want to know if anyone has real-world experience of using them for running/riding, if they’re worth the money and maybe a few suggestions of models?

TIA.

5lab

i’ve got some of the aftershox bluetooth ones, couple of years old now.

Plus – can ride with music in traffic, hear the cars perfectly well. The sound quality is perfectly acceptable, I wouldn’t go as far as to call it ‘good’ but its not awful. They fit well under my helmet (over the straps), battery seems to last a long time. Pretty pleased with them – there are obviously much ‘better’ £80 headphones available, but the USP of these makes it worthwhile.

The one annoyance is the magic button (which you can press to skip tracks/answer calls etc) is hard to hit with winter gloves on. Summer gloves is just fine. They might have fixed that in newer models

Rio

I’ve got Aftershokz Titanium ones. The sound quality for me is distinctly average – worse than you’d expect given the price; ok for podcasts but not really for music unless your reference standard is an AM radio. The maximum volume before they start tickling your temples is also disappointing. This may vary for people with different shaped bones (some people seem to think the sound is ok although there may be an element of confirmation bias) so best to try it yourself. On the plus side they stay in place well when running and seem to be reasonably sweat-proof.

kayak23

My gf loves hers for running.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I’ve had a set of the ‘Aftershokz trekz air’ ones for around a year now. Agree with pretty much everything said so far. The small buttons thing is the least user-friendly thing about them, in winter you can’t really control them if you’e a thick glove-wearer. I generally stick an album/playlist on and just let it roll so it’s not a huge issue, but not great design. They had the sense to make one of the buttons massive, so why not the other two?

Sound quality – not amazing, and get some strange clipping effects at higher volume (suspect that’s what Rio is on about too). Because of this they aren’t much use on windy days when you need the volume high to overcome wind noise. I’ve never used them on the bike but suspect this might be an issue when cycling. Bass isn’t great either.

They’re very comfy to wear though, it’s easy to forget they’re on. I used to forever be pushing earbuds back in as they gradually worked themselves loose, no such issues with these.

I can live with the shortcomings for the main selling point – they leave your ears open. I use them when running on country roads, so this is really handy for avoiding getting mowed down by idiots who can’t look where they’re driving.

The open ear thing is also mega handy if you’re using them in noisy environments – on a plane etc. You can use them in conjunction with earplugs, so rather than having to crank the volume up as with earbuds, you can listen at normal volume and just kill the ambient noise with earplugs.

Not cheap, but I use them a lot (as does mskenneththecurtain actually, despite having her own headphones) so I’d buy them again.

kiwicraig

I borrowed a pair of Aftershokz Titanium and was left really disappointed. As above, sound quality is decidedly average which is to be expected but they were almost useless once you got up a decent speed due to wind noise.

I’d avoid. Personally I just ride with one earbud whilst commuting.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I have the wired aftershox.

Audiophile they may not be but given there is not a better option that offers the ability to be fully road aware ill live with it

It’s just a distraction technique anyway 🙂

outofbreath
    Free Member

If you’re interested in a cheap option to try the concept out I’ve got the ones in the link below & functionally for podcasts they work well. I listen to music through them and am happy but I’m no audiophile so I don’t feel able to comment on the quality for music. (It’s blatantly not as good as more conventional headphones, of course.)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07DL5PLP5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is my fourth set of cheap Chinese bone conductors and so far I’ve been happy with them all but the ones above are best of the lot.

In general I find bone conductors are drowned out by traffic noise/lawn mower engine noise but not by wind noise at mountain biking speeds. In ever other usage they seem fine. I bought them for running/tinkering in the garden/biking but Bone conductors are my go to headphones for almost everything except lawnmowing now and will remain so.

sheck

Yay from me and from Mrs sheck

All comments above are relevant, but when riding/running, sound quality doesn’t really matter to me

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

I’d not use them for normal listening but in use on the bike or running Ive found the sound quality better than anthing else i’ve used except proper headband over the ear phones. Anything in-ear i’ve used i found the “seal” would break by them moving around which would kill the bass response, on ear types suffered wind noise more than aftershox

No issues with Ambient wind – its very rarely going to be more significant than the wind created by you cycling at 20mph…..

The temple tickling thing I found really annoying if i just sat and listened to them but riding or running dont feel it, even at high volumes.

However, I found they dont sit happily with my helmet but i dont wear one for my commuting or road riding anyway so not a problem

turboferret

I wear some Aftershox Air for all of my running, so up to 15 hours a week. The shortcomings already mentioned are well worth the upsides, and good for taking calls too.

moose
    Free Member

Appreciate all the replies. Going to pull pin on a set and see how they are. Nothing ventured and all that.

bensales
    Free Member

The Trekz Air ones… do you get any kind of thumping noise through them like you do when the cable of a wired pair of headphones bumps against you? As my use case is running, this is the thing that always bugs me.

I’ve been hovering between getting some Apple AirPods or Jaynird Run XT in-ear headphones, but might be our sauces to the Aftershox if there’s no additional noise introduced by the construction of the headphone itself.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

The Trekz Air ones… do you get any kind of thumping noise through them like you do when the cable of a wired pair of headphones bumps against you? As my use case is running, this is the thing that always bugs me.

I’ve certainly not had that. They’re light and a snug fit, so there’s no noticeable movement/bouncing.

iancity1
    Free Member

Nope, doesn’t matter how heavy your feet thump you dont hear it.
    Love my Trekz air, as everyone else says, not the highest audio quality but they do what they are designed to do very well. Big thumbs up from me 🙂

dovebiker

Big Aftershokz fan here – I’ve had them for over 3 years – can’t really fault them as long as you’re not an audiophile. A headband / buff can help keep them in place in colder temperatures.

Daffy

Had mine for 15 months and have used them everyday on the bike for upto two hours. I’m not sure what people are talking about with thumps, ticks and not being able to hear them in wind. Mine have been flawless in all weathers. Yes, you need them at max in strong wind, but they can be easily heard. Placement is key and pressure from the helmet straps can be used to increase sound conduction.

I wouldn’t be without a set now.

Glasses, gloves, gps, helmet and headphones. Always.

bensales
    Free Member

You’ve all convinced me. Plus England Athleitcs are giving 20% off Trekx headphones in their email shot today making them considerably cheaper than the AirPods or Jaybird Run XT.

5lab

pressure from the helmet straps can be used to increase sound conduction.

interesting, I always wear mine outside of my helmet (over the straps)

bensales
    Free Member

Used the Trekx Air for the first time on this morning’s 14 miler. Very impressed. Forget they’re on as they’re so light. No untoward noise from them other than the sound from the speakers. Could be a little difficult to hear (listening to podcasts not music) whilst running alongside traffic even with the volume full, but fine on the quieter parts of my route. Had to reduce the volume from full though, as it gave a weird tickling sensation and the volume was actually uncomfortable even though I couldn’t hear it clear, although I do have problems picking out speach in nice environments, so trying to listen to a podcast in traffic was asking for it. Music was fine.

All in all, best headphones I’ve ever found for running, and pleased with the purchase. Thanks chaps.

windowshopper
    Free Member

I have had a pair of Aftershokz for a few years. I like them for relieving the boredom on long solo rides. The sound quality was a bit disappointing but you get used to it.

But remember they are not a silver bullet to enable you to hear traffic. If you crank them up loud you won’t hear the traffic, it will be drowned out just like it would if you were standing next to a Boeing 747. If the sound level in your ear is at saturation (for want of a better term) the fact your ear canal is free from obstructions will be irrelevant.

iain1775
    Free Member

bought the wife some for Christmas for when she is running and she loves them, Ive borrowed them a couple of times for bikiing and I like them, although above comments regards volume, sound quality and wind noise are all accurate, they are still good though when out on bike on your own and you want a bit of music s you really can still hear your surroundings
    Only problem I had was they didnt sit too well worn with with glasses (and the wife got the mini version with shorter arms where I am probably between the two sizes, the lack of adjustability could be a problem for some peoples heads)

I’ve just taken a punt on the 50% off pre-order on a pair of Optishokz for myself- the same Aftershokz headphones built into a pair of sunglasses, at £86 with a second lens I figured it was worth a try (I know I will have VAT and RM handling fee to add to that on delivery)
    Initial reviews suggest they may not be as loud again as the Aftershokz and the glasses design looks like it may be a bit big but I’m sure there will be demand for them when they are released properly so if no good I should be able to shift on and not loose out

https://optishokz.com/

pocpoc
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by the Amazon £40 ones linked above.
    What are they generally like for sound bleed? As in if sat in an office will it annoy the person sat next to you? Or on the train/bus etc..

outofbreath
    Free Member

I’m very tempted by the Amazon £40 ones linked above.
    What are they generally like for sound bleed? As in if sat in an office will it annoy the person sat next to you? Or on the train/bus etc..

Pretty bad for sound bleed, I’m afraid. Unless you habitually listed to quietish stuff at quite low volume they aren’t going to work in a silent office.

Vader
    Free Member

i have never heard of these, how do they work?

I hate in ear headphones, they hurt like hell after a couple of minutes. Can just about manage one in if i’m on the phone

duckman

My GF had the aftershox ti ones and I have the Borophone ones from Amazon at about £30-40, there certainly isn’t £60-80 of a difference.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Conduction Headphones – Yay or Nay?’ is closed to new replies.