Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Concept2 Bikeerg assembly – worth using anti seize/threadlock on the fasteners?
  • kimura54321

Hi, fingers crossed the Concept2 Bikeerg I ordered should arrive today 🤞

My better half wanted a stationary bike to use that was less faff for her to set up than my turbo and was light enough to move round etc. unlike the steel framed Peloton hefty things.

Is it worth putting a bit of loctite 248 medium duty threadlocker on the fasteners since it is an aluminium frame and steel bolts?

All the screws on my actual bikes get a dab of threadlocker or antiseize on them, especially if dissimilar materials or subject to sweat/salt spray/vibration.

Thanks

https://www.concept2.com/service/bikeerg/assembly

Kahurangi

A good rule of thumb is to always use either lube/antisieze or loctite. At home I’ll normally use whatever grease I have on the go. Coppaslip if I think bimetallic corrosion is really an issue. At work I’m using a lot of stainless fasteners so I’m using Goop.

For salty stuff then I’d prioritise antisieze over threadlock and use a Nord-Lock washer to prevent loosening from vibration. I used this combo on some pannier racks over many years with good success.

In your situation, loctite 248 is probably ideal.

Onzadog
    Free Member

As about, I find it difficult to put two metal surfaces together without grease, anti-seize or thread lock. I’m more inclined towards 222 on a bike unless the spec specifically calls for something else.

kimura54321

Thanks for the suggestions, does seem sensible in terms of avoiding stuck screws and maybe a lower strength one is all that would be needed in this case.

I dropped Concept2 an email as well, just in case they had any feedback.

tonyplym
    Free Member

As an aside – if you don’t mind me asking – if you purchased directly from Concept2 how long did you have to wait for delivery ? Their web site is currently showing something like a 14 week lead time, and the only ones I can find that claim to be available online are being priced at a significant (>£400) premium. Cheers.

kimura54321

@tonyplym – That’s fine, I bought mine from Newitts rather than direct. A bit pricier (£230 ish) though and was showing a 3 week wait, but they managed to ship it in 2 weeks instead. Also I have had decent customer support from them in the past so could attempt to justify it 🙈

From a chat on the phone they got a few in this week, it’s showing as out of stock now on their website unfortunately. Maybe give them a call to see if they have a spare one or restock lead time?

kimura54321

Put it together tonight, whilst the main body is made of aluminium all the load bearing fasteners fit into these fancy steel rivnuts with a hex section pressed flush into the frame. The horizontal feet pieces are steel as well.

Will give it a test ride tomorrow once I’ve popped some SPDs on it, looks decent quality but the original pedals are shockingly bad!

tonyplym
    Free Member

@kimura54321 – thanks for the information about Newitts.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Concept2 Bikeerg assembly – worth using anti seize/threadlock on the fasteners?’ is closed to new replies.