Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Compact Digital Advice
  • Marge
    Free Member

I am looking to buy a new camera to carry with me when on the bike, hence small & not to fragile is key.
    I used to have a Canon Ixus 50 from my work that was pretty good but had to give it back 🙁
    This was 18 months ago though and I see now cameras with much higher megapixel values are the norm…

Anyone got any good advice / recent experience of digital compacts?
    Don’t want to spend a fortune (<250) but equally don’t want to waste money on a POS….

cynic-al
    Free Member

Numerous digicam forums and review sites around, dcviews as a starter for 10.

Marge
    Free Member

Thanks for the other forums advice but I was hoping for some suggestions from people that use their cameras in the same way I would…. ie out on the bike. I think being out on the trails is quite a challenging & potentially damaging environment for a camera and a huge difference to making a review from a desk…
    Little things like button size when you are wearing gloves can be quite significant (I expect).

We saw a lot a pics on the mugshots thread so was thinking their must be some experiencs out there.

stevomcd
    Free Member

Slight hijack, but I’m looking to replace my old Canon Powershot S50 with a compact digital. Given that it’s almost exclusively used for bike & snowboard photos, I want something with the same “rapid fire” capability. I was expecting that frame rates would be much faster with the latest cameras, but I actually can’t find anything which even matches it until I start spending £500+. The old one could do 2fps. Anyone got any suggestions?

nickjb
    Free Member

What is more important; robustness or picture quality? Olympus and Pentax make a couple waterproof (virtually bombproof) cameras but the pictures are only OK rather than brilliant. If picture quality is more important then go for a fuji f100

I went for a Pentax w60. As it is tough and waterproof it lives on the outside of my rucksack strap. Its a compromise on quality but it means I take a lot more pictures and get a lot of ‘capture the moment’ shots without stopping.

cp

having recently used (albeit briefly) I **highly** reccomend looking at the canon ixus 870IS – about 200 quid. It’s responses are very very fast – I was really impressed.

druidh
    Free Member

For a “biking” camera, just go on to ebay and buy something 2nd hand. This is one of those technologies where folk are upgrading all the time and are happy to pick up a few quid for something mibbe 12-18 months old.

upsidedownflyboy
    Free Member

you can have my panasonic fx07 for not much if you want… plus a lowpro case, gb memory card and lanyard

just a thought

i fancy something more akin to an slr

grumm
    Free Member

I’m happy with my Canon Ixus.

DezB
    Free Member

Got to be a Canon. http://www.canon.co.uk/./For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_Camera/PowerShot/PowerShot_SX110_IS/index.asp?source=selector
    For a decent zoom and settings like aperture/shutter priority.

For something a bit smaller go for the Ixus in your price range.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I have a fuji f31 which is a predecessor of the f100 mentioned above. It takes great pictures, small without being fiddly, great battery life – 500 shots between charges, sturdy, doesn’t seem to mind being dropped or splashed, and it’s fast, very little lag for a compact. If the f100 is as good it’ll be a good choice.

UncleFred
    Free Member

Just replacing my Olympus 770SW (which I flooded) the new Olympus 1030 SW gets my vote. Waterproof to 33 feet, shockproof, freezeproof and very scratch resistant screen, packed with a load of features for 285Quid.

rOcKeTdOg

i use a canon ixus 80is 8mp lasted 12 months of coming out for every ride with me, basic manual settings but it does good pics, does this sorta stuff ok

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Compact Digital Advice’ is closed to new replies.