Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Commuter Bike: Rattling chain protector
  • MTB-Idle
    Free Member

Looking for a bit of advice here.

A colleague rides a Viking Belgravia as a commuter bike (stock pic below) and the chain protector is rattling really badly.

I’ve had a look at it and the chain protector is secured by a screw type fitting at the back which is held to the seat stay and then a bracket at the front that sits on the axle in between the bottom bracket and the cranks and then secures top and bottom to the chain protector.

It is the front that is loose as there is couple of mm play at the bottom bracket which is multiplied at either end and allows the bracket to rattle against the rotating chainset.

There doesn’t appear to be any way to tighten it up as the cranks are secure on the BB.

I appreciate this is easier to see rather than describe but any thoughts or suggestions?

EDIT: Here we go, it’s this type of bracket at the front (that’s not the actual model but is a clearer way of describing it). Obvs the BB goes through the centre and the chainguard is secured top and bottom

TheBrick
    Free Member

If it is loose why can’t you tighten it? Do you need washers? Or a new bolt or to elongate a hole?

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

There are three screws, one at the back as described and two on the BB mount as per the pic above. All three screws are secure.

It’s the float or play at the BB area that has no obvious way of being reduced that I’m struggling with.

Maybe it had a spacer or a washer that was on there and has broken is what I’m thinking

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

You’ve got to remove the cranks and tighten the BB shell to hold the bracket tight. This might need old school BB spanners (it usually does) and involve some cussing if you’ve not done it before. You’ll probably need to remove both crank arms and adjust the BB from the non drive side to remove the play. My guess is that’s it’s a cup and cone BB not a modern cartridge unit.
    Have fun. 🙂

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

cheers PP

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Commuter Bike: Rattling chain protector’ is closed to new replies.