Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Commute/towpath/occasional off road rear light
  • submarined
    Free Member

My Lezyne Zecto has shat itself yet again. Hated it anyways (short run time, unreliable, badly sealed) so I need a new primary (solid, backed up with a flasher I already have) rear light, for road commutes, but also for some off-road night rides and bridleway stuff.

Suggestions under 40 quid please. Currently thinking either Exposure TraceR or Cateye X3. The former looks very well built, long run times, the latter apparently not as well sealed, but I like the idea of being able to run it as a solid one side/flash the other.

Any suggestions welcome. I’ve tried Aldi and stuff before and I want something a bit more robust with a built in battery.

Bregante

I’ve got a moon arcturus as my main rear light. Lasts at least a week of commuting between (usb) charges and has stood up to a winter of filthy, mudguardless riding on towpaths and off road. Around £20 in most places.

richmars

Very pleased with all the Moon stuff I’ve got. Off road front, commuting front and rear. Had two winters use and still fine.

fasthaggis

I got a Cherry Bomb 35 at the start of the winter,it’s been good and with the rubber strap is quick to swap around  other bikes.

After the stock batteries die(which are still going ) I will be using rechargeables.

aidso
    Free Member

I use 2 Knog Blinders, interchangeable on road and mtb bikes. They charge from USB and last for a few hours. Have had other cyclists ask what they were as they could be seen flashing from a good distance behind – so that’s a good enough reassurance for me.

About £27 on Wiggle

si77

Moon Nebula.

£30. Well bright!

(Or the Aldi “clone” when available, for a few quid less)

mattyfez

I have a cat eye x2, it’s good, very bright, I use it on dim mode, USB rechargeable.

StirlingCrispin

An ebay-clone of the Zecto.

I think Lezyne must get the ones that fail the QC checks as mine have lasted forever.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/USB-Rechargeable-Cycling-Bicycle-Bike-3-LED-Head-Front-Rear-Tail-Clip-Light-Lamp/142530845242?hash=item212f801a3a:m:msdsOJ3YGTP__CzngjLJhyQ

bsims
    Free Member

I’ve got an infiny safety light with two red and one white led. It lives on on the seatpost of my eledest’s bike, dosn’t leak and the bateries last quite a while. It’s not rechargable though.

joebristol

Another vote for the Moon Nebula. USB rechargeable, seems stable when fixed to the seatpost, but still easy to move between bikes.

It also has a setting where it’s always on, but pulses brighter like a flasher. Love that.

If you run it on solid it has about 3 or 4 brightness settings, each one more retina burning than the last. A driver could never claim not to have seen it – think 100 lumens on the brightest setting.

submarined
    Free Member

Cool, thanks all! Will look at those silly. And then post up a photo of the inside of my shitty Zecto after 5 months use

submarined
    Free Member

An excellently sealed unit, 5 months use…

Good ol’ Lezyne sealing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Commute/towpath/occasional off road rear light’ is closed to new replies.