Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Commonwealth games on Cannock Chase
  • BigJohn

I’m a regular rider on the chase, just not on the built stuff. I’d assumed that all the trail building by Clixby and Chase Trails near Birches Valley was for the Commonwealth Games. But no, it’s for the new blue route (for which many thanks for marking a trail crossing as it crosses Big John’s trail). Now, birches valley is the right place to have the event, with parking, a nice prize giving arena (guessing here because I’ve never been interested in this sort of thing) but as it’s only just over a year away I’d have expected some trail building to start. Follow the dog can’t be suitable as it’s not really good for mass start racing, and crosses a couple of roads. I’d have thought a race loop would need a year or so to build and harden up so what’s the story? Are they assuming it’s not going to happen, but don’t want to say so?

kjcc25
    Free Member

The new blue is for the Commonwealth Games, not the Dog, I’m sure there will be a few changes here and there and I would imagine the additional features on the old Twist and Shout and the new start to the Dog will be used.
    The trail crossing sign for Big John’s Trail is a nice touch as Big John’s Trail makes great alternative to Cardiac Hill. It was nice having a chat with you a few weeks ago, at the bottom of Cardiac Hill, having used your trail for many years.

BigJohn

Yes, I enjoyed our chat. Didn’t manage to get up those rock steps though!

Paul-B

I thought they were using Tackeroo for the games? I base that on precisely no knowledge only that all the XC races have been held up there lol. Thought the new blue route was part of the legacy.

Anyway, interested to see what comes of it all.

SteveTheBarbarian
    Free Member

I accidentally got on the blue thinking it was a more interesting way up Cardiac a few weeks ago.

I’ll have to go back and finish it sometime.

Didn’t know Commonwealth games were to be there, so that’s interesting to know. I did go to watch Tour of Britain go by Cannock a few years back.

st

John, it’s safe to say that if any 2022 Commonwealth riders were to visit the Blue this year they’d notice strong similarities when they come to the race next year.

The schedule for the games was recently published online and CC is listed for the mountain biking (on a Wednesday I think).

BigJohn

Will I still get the royalty payments when they cross Big Johns?

footflaps

Follow the dog can’t be suitable as it’s not really good for mass start racing

They used a good chunk of The Monkey Trail for a Midlands XC Championships race many years ago, 3 or 4 laps IIRC. You can always tweak the course to get a good mass start section tagged on somewhere.

IIRC There was a photo of me in the sprint to the finish line on the front page of BC website for a while…

scruff
    Free Member

Sorry, no. You’ve fell behind in your Maintenance Payments.

digga
    Free Member

Sorry, no. You’ve fell behind in your Maintenance Payments.

There’s still time for a decent cabinet maker to erect a toll booth.

BigJohn

Maintenance payments? Trail or child?

walleater

I’m surprised that all these trails haven’t made it on to Trailforks. I don’t see Big John’s or Sh#t C&nt Hill.

digga
    Free Member

I’m surprised that all these trails haven’t made it on to Trailforks. I don’t see Big John’s or Sh#t C&nt Hill.

Old skool. Those who know, know.

Maintain radio silence.
    Over & out. etc. etc.

dirkpitt74

Anyone tried booking tickets yet?
    You are limited to 4 tickets per event……

Also I can’t book for wife (wheelchair user) and me as a carer and add our 10yo daughter……
    I have to book an adult (me), child (daughter) and accessible (wife) but then my daughter and I are seated away from my wife…..

Or I can sit with my wife and not take our daughter……

Or take my daughter and not my wife……

Nice to see that it’s an ‘inclusive’ games – as obviously disabled people don’t have families…..

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Commonwealth games on Cannock Chase’ is closed to new replies.