Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Cold weather phone issues and recommendations
  • jimmy

I have a Google pixel 2 in its second winter for me. Same as last year, it has started crashing when I try and take pictures in in the cold. When I say cold, it did it about a month ago on a mild day with a cool breeze, probably 5-10deg. So a bit pathetic, but it doesn’t seem like there’s much I can do about it except keep well insulated on cooler days and hours it doesn’t get cold too quickly when snapping. Any other suggestions? Or recommendations for phones which can handle the cold?

piemonster

Following as I have more or less the same requirements bar a decent IP rating.

Ive literally watched the battery % countdown like a timer.

Vader
    Free Member

My old Iphone 5 was like that, pity as it was a nice little phone. It didn’t even need to be that cold, just a typical non sunny day in Leith. A quick google suggested it wasn’t unusual. Currently I have a King Kong mini, doesn’t seem the slightest bit bothered by the cold. To be fair neither does madams Samsung. Both phones are water resistant, the king kong is ‘ruggedized’

scotroutes

Seems a bit random. I’ve not experienced that with any of my phones. I normally ride with the phone in a chest pocket.

mattyfez

Cold or condensation?
    Most stuff will work fine down to zero c, assuming low humidity.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Usually correlates with a battery that’s on its last legs anyway.

Had it on a few old phones

bigginge

Yep, I’ve had that a few times with iPhones when the battery is on the way out (though for me it was using GPS to track my rides, when cold, that would cause it to drop out). As likely as not, fitting a new one would sort you out for another year or so.

matt_outandabout

Mrs_oab’s iPhone 5, SE and even new SE do this…

Android, I don’t know.

I do know that the batteries we all use are very susceptible to cold. I keep my phone in a plastic case and screen protector, usually in a pocket for ease of access. My MotoG3, Xperia xz1 and now shiny new S10e have never had extreme problems, but none have as good battery in cold compared to summer’s day.

Cowman

I had exactly the same with a pixel 2. Bought a new battery kit for it from eBay for 8 quid.

A few YouTube videos and it’s fixed (let’s not say good as new!!).

jimmy

I’ve not experienced that with any of my phones. I normally ride with the phone in a chest pocket.

<span style=”font-size: 0.8rem;”>Used to happen with previous phones but that was only in winter climbing days so understandable. </span>

I’ve ordered a new battery for £10, see how that goes.

zilog6128

Had that with an old iPhone with failing battery… temporary fix was to use one of those “hot hands” sachets in between the phone & case 🔥🔥🔥

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Usually correlates with a battery that’s on its last legs anyway.

I had this on 2 iPhones, both less than a year old, as said above, didn’t even really need to be that cold.

AFAICT it wasn’t a battery issue, as when phone warmed up, battery was still charged to the same level as when it switched off, it’s like a cold protection.

Had Samsung S7 for 5 years, no issues with cold.

rickmeister

Using one of the Blackview ruggedised phones after being pulled over the table with the Apple “old phone battery management” issue. No problems at all in cold, battery lasts over a day per charge irrespective of weather.

jimmy

I had exactly the same with a pixel 2. Bought a new battery kit for it from eBay for 8 quid.

Attempted this, screen shattered at the first step. So that’s that! New phone time 😐

stevomcd
    Free Member

iPhone XS was great for me last winter. Performance in the cold is a big issue for me as I’m a snowboard instructor! I need my phone for photos, for video analysis and for the battery not to die if I ever need to call-in an accident. Previous iPhones have been hit/miss (old SE and the very similar 5S being the worst). XS was great, no issues at all.

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Ulephone Armor x here. Used happily down to -20. Battery still easily lasts 2 days.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Cold weather phone issues and recommendations’ is closed to new replies.