• This topic has 17 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Coil shock upgrade on trail bike?
  • jkomo

Opinions welcome, I’ve been using my Mega TR275 at BPW a lot, and found the rear travel a bit limiting (130). I ride mainly reds and less jumpy blacks. Would a coil shock be a worthwhile upgrade, or do I wait for a longer travel frame second hand.
    Currently RT 3 debonair.

riklegge

When you say you found the rear travel limiting, what do you mean?

If you are bottoming out a lot, then a coil shock might not help; typically a normal spring will be more linear than an air spring which won’t help with this. You are able to buy progressively wound springs or go for a harder spring option, but equally you could just put more air into the shock…

If you are finding it lacks sensitivity, then a coil may help. They feel great, I have a cane creek db inline coil on my bike and have been really happy with it.

SirHC

When was the last time the shock and frame bearings were serviced?

jkomo

Thanks for the replies

I weigh about 90kgz and when I land a big drop to flat it feels like quite a thud

I’ve not serviced it at all! It’s one of those jobs I put off as I’m going to wales weekly and am afraid I’ll do it wrong and be out of action.

mashr

I weigh about 90kgz and when I land a big drop to flat it feels like quite a thud

Coil shock isn’t going to change that

honourablegeorge

You’ll still have 130mm of travel with a coil, but as above, it may be even easier to bottom out.

A volume spacer or two in your current shock would be the first thing I’d try, it will stiffen your shock deeper in the travel, making those bottom outs less harsh (although it will change how your shock behaves in other scenarios a little also). Plus it’s very cheap, so you’re no spending big money to try something out.

chakaping
    Free Member

New bike time!

molgrips
    Free Member

Have you got it set up and adjusted properly?

devash
    Free Member

I’d send it off for a service and get a custom valve tune done while its in there.

If bottoming out on drops is the main issue then you want a more progressive tune i.e. supple and sensitive lower into the stroke for small bump compliance, ramping up the support towards the end of the travel to stop bottoming out.

A good service centre (I’d personally recommend TF Tuned and J-Tech from my own experience) will also recommend the correct air pressure and sag for your rider weight and riding style.

Also, hucking big drops to flat on any bike will result in some sort of thud!

joebristol

More travel sounds like the best answer (it just so happens I’m selling a Bird Aeris 145 LT which has 160mm rear travel in the classifieds)!

If funds don’t allow them maybe have a look at the tuning of your existing shock. Has it got tokens/bands in it already or not?

I think that’s an older frame so probably doesn’t have a Deluxe RS shock in it but the older monarch (which rules out a Megneg Aircan Uogrwde I think)?

Coil doesn’t sound like the answer in this case.

fossy

Get those bearings serviced. A seized one can cause pivot/bolt wear or frame failure at worse

the00
    Free Member

Agree, a cold shock is probably the last thing you should be considering. The advantage of a coil is the sensitivity, reliability and consistency.

jkomo

Right, cheers, that’s some money saved.

jkomo

Saying that…. I fancy that bird.

jkomo

Update…
    After spending at least an hour looking for the seal kit and tools, I did the shock service and put in the red bands. An easy and satisfying, do at the kitchen table kind of job.
    Result was as suggested above, great on the small bumps, and felt better supported on the biggish drops at BPW yesterday. Really chuffed.
    Great advice as usual from the STW massive, and another new job under my belt.
    Just need to find a nice pick tool now, I used an olive stabber with bent prongs to pull the seals out, so a new tool is in order.

joebristol

Nice work – sometimes just things that seem minor can make a huge change and don’t even cost much (like suspension tokens)!

I sold that Bird above and got the new trail version with shorter travel so I’ll probably be playing with tokens / pressures / damping soon….

squirrelking
    Free Member

I bought a pack of picks at my local tat barn for a fiver or so. There are things worth spending money on, picks aren’t one of them.

jkomo

Jb I was gutted to miss that frame, it was perfect I think.
    Saying that I really love my set up, found the receipt, I bought the mega 4 years ago so that shock was overdue a service.

SK I agree, I also don’t want a set, maybe just a couple.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Coil shock upgrade on trail bike?’ is closed to new replies.