• This topic has 35 replies, 24 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by ossify.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Coffee-puck-knocker-out-thing
  • easily
    Free Member

As per the title. I’ve broken two of these in the last year with my forceful knocking. Can anyone recommend a sturdy example – and also one that has most of the grounds go into the container rather than all over the kitchen surfaces.

If it’s pretty that helps as well.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

https://www.sageappliances.com/uk/en/parts-accessories/accessories/bes100gbuk.html

I bought one of these not realising our machine came with one.

2 yrs in and not broken yet, but keeping the spare incase. Think our worktop will break before this

It says ‘mini’ but ample big enough. Prob get 10 coffees in it before it needs emptying

Yak

Big Grindenstein. Bomber. It’s like the bombers of knockboxes. Throw it at an intruder if needs must. Quite good for pucks too.

zilog6128

I have that Sage one. Can’t knock it 😀

easily
    Free Member

Well so far:

Sage looking good as I have an oracle

Grindenstein has the best name

Zilog in the lead for worst pun

… tough choices.

Aidy
    Free Member

We’ve got the big version of that Sage one, and it’s been solid.

How hard are you hitting them to break them, though? It doesn’t require that much force to knock out a puck.

easily
    Free Member

Thanks everyone, but issue no longer relevant. My sister, with whom I share a house, has ordered one without consulting STW first! I know!
    Who knows what we’re going to end up with?

Aidy – sometimes I have to bang pretty hard to get the puck out, other times it just pops out. I think the problem was cheap knockers – the bar that you knock against was just rubber, it had no metal core, and the ends are coming away where they rest against the walls of the container.

johndoh
    Free Member

I just use a spoon and scoop out straight into the bin. I never even thought of needing a special box for grounds. Dammit – I want one now.

MoreCashThanDash

My sister, with whom I share a house

Would we recognise you from Gogglebox then?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I just use a spoon and scoop out straight into the bin.

For the full middle class experience you should be saving them and composting them

zilog6128

^^^ yep, how many STW points did @johndoh lose there 😂 Ours go from the knock box to the compost, great source of nitrogen!

kelvin

Grindenstein last forever. Get a black/grey one not a coloured one though, I’d you want it to look new in 20 years time.

easily
    Free Member

I don’t understand the Googglebox ref I’m afraid, I’ve never seen it.

I prefer to think of us as a latter day Eric Sykes and Hattie Jacques, though my sis is never happy with this for some reason.

somafunk

Think I’ve got a sage knock box in the cupboard, used it a few times and it’s decent enough but the sink is right next to my machine so that’s were the puck goes.

finbar
    Free Member

For the full middle class experience you should be saving them and composting them

I don’t understand the Googglebox ref I’m afraid, I’ve never seen it.

I do believe he’s got that covered 😀

supercarp

Surely you just knock it out in the bin? Needing a special box is a proper first world problem!

zilog6128

That’s what I assumed but, having bought a Sage Oracle, the puck is wedged in there pretty good. Unless you want to dent the shit out of your expensive-but-fragile Brabantia bin, a knock box is a necessity!

kimura54321

Another vote for a small black grindenstein, practically indestructible and just the right size for home use.

I think mine must have had about 9,000 pucks knocked into it by now and it’s still going strong.

Cafelat (uk based brand/designer of “Robot” espresso machine fame) also do a great square small knock box that would be better if stuck in a corner etc.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

having bought a Sage Oracle, the puck is wedged in there pretty good.

We have an Oracle too, and I get what you mean, but it’s all about technique and wrist action, get it right and you will have no problem knocking one out

Klunk
    Free Member

we use an old ice cream tub, lasted 5 years so far. knock the puck out on the lid then toss it inside ready for the next one.

MoreCashThanDash

it’s all about technique and wrist action, get it right and you will have no problem knocking one out

Subtle…..

sirromj

With a bottomless portafilter, I find that just pressing the middle of the basket slightly (slightly is all it will move by hand) is just enough to loosen it, if it needs it. Then I just perform an ‘air knock’ – the coffee puck knocking equivalent of air guitar… But with a coffee puck and portafilter. Just the knock box that is air. Obviously do it over the bin, with the lid open, and hope your aim is good and the puck is not too sloppy. NEVER hit the bin with portafilter!

Hope that helps. I’m sure it will. Send the purchase back straight away!!!!

molgrips
    Free Member

Hahaha. You need a special box for this now? Certainly sir that’ll be £20 🙂

Just move to Cardiff, the free food recycling caddy they give you is perfectly robust.

Sandwich

The caffeine content will suppress the weeds and any other green plant that isn’t a coffee bush quite nicely.

kormoran
    Free Member

I am ashamed to say Ive knocked a few out using cheap knockers and it was actually ok. No need to spend a fortune unless it really is a special occasion

breninbeener

@Sandwich this was my understanding too.

Im pretty sure coffee plants use the caffeine to inhibit the growth of other plants to ensure they out compete them.

As such, deoending on your intended use, i dont think they are good for composting.

zilog6128

The caffeine content will suppress the weeds and any other green plant that isn’t a coffee bush quite nicely.

source for that? I’ve found plenty of articles agreeing that yes, applying neat coffee grounds (as mulch) to plants is not a good idea! But assuming you don’t run a coffee shop, is mixing a small amount of grounds into the compost (we put LOADS more of other stuff in ours!) that terrible? These guys don’t think so: https://extension.oregonstate.edu/gardening/soil-compost/coffee-grounds-composting

finbar
    Free Member

Deffering to the RHS on such matters is probably wise:

“Coffee grounds: provides low levels of nutrients and can either be used in small quantities around plants or composted before adding to the garden. It’s effectiveness as a slug deterrent is unclear”

https://www.rhs.org.uk/soil-composts-mulches/what-is-organic-matter

onewheelgood

It’s effectiveness as a slug deterrent is unclear…

…but the worms in the compost heap have become addicted.

And I’ve really happy with the Grindenstein I bought years ago. I don’t know what sort of plastic it’s made of, but it still looks new after quite a bit of hammer.

TheBrick
    Free Member

I just use a spoon and scoop out straight into the bin

Surely into the food waste, no the general waste?

Snap, ooh.

toby1

the sink is right next to my machine so that’s were the puck goes

Aren’t your pipes all clogged up?

I have a nice wooden one with a catering ban marie pot in that’s had some pipe and hose added to make a bar, it’ll outlast me I’m sure.

zilog6128

yeah, that did strike me as a bit odd! (Unless you have some US-style garbage disposal thing in there!) Although he didn’t say they were going down the plug-hole, just into the sink… maybe he’s collecting them? 😃

somafunk

Never had an issue in 20+ years, from sink waste to outside it’s only 2ft of pipe

MrGreedy

I also have the Sage one linked above, and it’s great. Yes, it’s possible to get a puck out in other ways, but it’s very much a case of the right tool for the job – it just does what it’s designed for in a very effective and satisfying way. If you’ve paid a few hundred quid for a nice coffee machine, why put up with mess and faff that spoil the experience for the want of an extra £20? (And yes, I’m aware that’s very much in the first world problems category)

On the compost/gardening points, I did a fair bit of reading about this, with inconclusive results. After a few weeks of putting the broken-up pucks on the garden (around a hydrangea to see if the pH difference affected the colour of the flowers) I noticed the growing tips appeared “scorched” and stopped – not a scientific experiment by any means, but they just go in the food waste now.

montgomery
    Free Member

I prefer to think of us as a latter day Eric Sykes and Hattie Jacques, though my sis is never happy with this for some reason.

Excellent.

ossify

I know someone who puts it all down the sink as he’s heard that coffee grounds help prevent your pipes from getting clogged up. Dunno where that idea comes from but his pipes haven’t clogged yet so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.