• This topic has 52 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by bonni.
Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)
  • Coast to Coast on a Cotic Rocket
  • mildbore

This is bringing back so many memories, details I’d forgotten such as the uncrossable river on stage 3 (like you, we spoke to some farmworkers who couldn’t remember anyone ever using the ford), the climb out of Hawes, the feeling of being underwhelmed by the route across the Dales, etc. Looking forward to hearing what you made of the next leg through Richmond. We gave up with muddy flat overgrown bridleways and got to the North Yorks Moors on minor roads. It felt more like sanity – preservation than cheating though

martinhutch

I must admit, when I look (as a Dales local), at the route it takes across my patch, it seems a bit odd in places. Personally, it would make more sense to me to not stop in Hawes at all rather than have to climb all the way up Fleet Moss to rejoin the route, then slogging across to Thoralby up the Stake climb (and if you’re going to change direction to get some extra quality riding in, why not do it in Swaledale rather than Wensleydale?).

I was hoping for the opportunity to do something similar this year (albeit over a much shorter timescale), and plotted my own route for 3/4 days rather than the 6 or 7 this one takes. My own view is that while it’s worth a minor deviation and extra mileage to take in a top quality descent, on a C2C you probably appreciate just getting on with it!

And yes, I didn’t include any BWs across the Vale of York (and the luxury of aerial photography revealed the ford crossing which wasn’t going to work!)

mildbore

(cough)

whitestone
    Free Member

I’m with Martin on this – the route across the Dales is decidedly odd. The top part of the descent to Thoralby used to be a nice grassy track but the farmer/estate filled it in with rubble a few years ago. The BW from Carperby is an odd one to use as well.

There’s no need to descend to Hawes, on Cam Head continue round to the top of Fleet Moss (that climb is hard enough on a road bike!) and descend the Roman road to Bainbridge. Over the river and take the road to Askrigg then there’s a BW starting a little way up the hillside. Take this all the way to Castle Bolton (the PN route does part of this in reverse). From Castle Bolton head over to Apedale then at the crossroads go straight up the other side and descend to Grinton.

There’s a better BW from Millthrop to Dent, takes the southerly line on the map. The one you took is better in the other direction as it’s a fast blast. I’m not sure going up Arten Gill (the one under the railway viaduct) is worth it but the alternative is the road to and past Dent railway station 😮 then following the PBW back to the top of Arten Gill.

Looking at the route on the PN site makes me wonder if they actually rode it at all.

flyingmonkeycorps

I reckon I might have to do it again in a few years with a better route (I have a few ideas about the Moors section).

Next bit will be up tomorrow, currently in a birthday treat weekend away with Mrs Monkey (she’s having a nap).

mildbore

I was talking to my mate who I did the coast to coast with about this thread and about our experience. We decided that we needed to do it again with a different/better route which we have a few ideas for (such as a bus across the vale of york)

flyingmonkeycorps

Yeah, I reckon it could definitely be improved quite a bit in a few areas.

Day 5 added! No pictures because to be honest we just wanted it to be over.

Coast to Coast: Stage Five (Fremington to Osmotherley)

flyingmonkeycorps

Next (and, as it turns out, final – spoiler!) stage is up.

Coast to Coast: Stage Six (Osmotherley to Scarborough)

mildbore

So did you vary the route across the North Yorkshire Moors? We did that bit in two days and my memory of Osmotherley to Rosedale is of 4 or 5 winches up onto a rigg on doubletrack then a descent on lovely rocky single track of a km or two, each one different but better than the one before. Rosedale to Ravenscar (we then detoured to Robin Hoods Bay to dip our wheels in the sea) was a bit meh in comparison

flyingmonkeycorps

We did – I know my way round Rosedale pretty well, so went for the route that had the most singletrack in the least distance. We did miss a couple of bits out around Chop Gate for time reasons (as mentioned!) and also the descent from Rudland Rigg which I don’t think is on the route, but is awesome.

At some point I’m going to sit down and plot the ultimate 2 day route from Osmotherley to Scarborough. I reckon once you’re past Dalby (really past Rosedale tbh) there’s not much more of interest.

martinhutch

I would be interested in any worthwhile variations to the Osmotherley – east coast portion too. I’m not familiar with the NYM, and not interested in going via Dalby unless it’s actually necessary. I did the Pedalnorth Hambleton Hills route in the summer and it was one of the least fun routes I did all year, so I’m not trusting them all that much!

I’d be finishing in Scarborough too one way or another, and probably trying to do it in a day, maybe from a wildcamp up near the sheepwash above Osmotherley.

Good tips on places to grab food and fill bottles also appreciated!

flyingmonkeycorps

Going through Dalby makes sense, as it drops you on the Moors to Sea route and is pretty much bang on the way. It’s also a good spot to refill and such. Riding the red… Nah. Just straight through the forest for me.

It would be a big day out if you go all the way from Osmotherley to Scarborough with detours for fun stuff though, it was 52 miles the way we did it with a lot of flat track plugging across the top. You could add in a few more miles and metres to get the fun stuff in.

bonni

Thanks for the write-up. Read ‘em all.

Hope the missus is well.

Viewing 13 posts - 41 through 53 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Coast to Coast on a Cotic Rocket’ is closed to new replies.