• This topic has 18 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by pdw.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Co2 inflators – much of a muchness?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

Looking to carry a co2 inflator and spare canister.

Are they all pretty much as good as the other? Was looking at the trigger one here:

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lezyne-trigger-speed-drive-co2-inflator-black/

dhrider
    Free Member

I have the cheapest lifeline one – https://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-cnc-co2-inflator-thread-on-valve-head/

Rarely used but no issues when I have needed it.

deadkenny
    Free Member

A trigger that allows you to control how much is injected and the flow is better. Better still if it locks or holds the air for a good while so you can keep topping up a slow puncture through a ride without wasting a whole cartridge each time.

p.s. cheap cartridges – https://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/ . Buy bulk and they get cheaper. Threaded needed for inflators that are just a head, no holder (better anyway as can use any size).

Use gloves!

fossy

Anything controllable, but you will be surprised how quickly it fills a tyre, literally a split second.

A 16 oz will get a road tyre to about 100 psi, and an MTB tyre to 30 psi.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Is it ok to leave a full canister attached so not to mis place the top or better to keep it separate?

deadkenny
    Free Member

Once threaded on it pierces the canister. Inflators even with lock off tend to leak over time. Don’t thread on until you need it basically.

But as said if it locks when partially emptied it may hold for a ride, maybe bit longer. Typically you’ll be full inflating a tyre though but may be useful if topping up.

That said I carry a pump also these days and top up with that, and just use CO2 for a quick fill for totally flat. Used to use to seat tubeless tyres also but use a track pump now as got the hang of it.

mattyfez

Just don’t screw it on fully as it will pop the seal on the canister.
    That’s what I do with mine, just screw it on until you meet resistance but not hard enough to pop the seal.

Should get plenty of turns on the thread so it’s highly unlikely to drop off.

Haze

I use to thread them on but stop just short of piercing the canister.

Have a Lezyne one which is pretty good, basic, just about controllable and well sealed so you can keep a half used canister on there for topping up.

Not so good for snapping tubeless beads on though, but not a problem if you’re not using it for the initial set up.

stevious

I used to have one that had no control valve – you had to scew it onto the valve then as soon as you screwed the canister in it would empty the whole lot.

It was very light, but some kind of control mechanism is definitely worth the extra few grams.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Just get cheap as chips ones off eBay. That’s what I did. Triggers are nice I guess but they make the nozzle larger so harder to stick in your saddlebag and ultimately you don’t need them as you use the whole cannister anyway – more than one on a big 29er. But one canister inflates my 28 700c road wheels. Mine screws on the nozzle which is spring loaded so you push it on the valve then push against the spring which opens it and the CO2 flows at a nice steady pace. Just make sure you’ve go gloves or something around the canister as it will instantly freeze. Brilliant things…I’m considering ditching my pump altogether on my road bike.

mattyfez

Mine has a button that you have to depress and lift a sleeve past the button to release gas, it’s still basically one shot per canister but it prevents accidental release..

It’s a cheapish one from Evans..

I just carry a patch kit, spare tube and 3 CO2 canisters, one with the adapter/valve head partially screwed on.

TiRed

Innovations microflate nano is fantastic and tiny. I screw on slightly so as not to pierce the canister. When I need it I screw it right in (which doesn’t release C02), pop on to the valve and control the flow by careful unscrewing – it’s very controllable. Much better than the press to activate ones (had one of those as well) and the triggers. You won’t be reusing a partially used canister so just buy the original and best. I buy cartridges in bulk, always carry two. And have two nano’s for diferent tool pods.

I’ve known the Lezynes to rip valve heads off.

Tracey

Specialized microblast and Planet X 25 gram cartridges never let us down yet

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Both Aldi and Lidl have had CO2 inflators in recently, along with spare CO2 cartridges. They were cheap as chips and have a tap/screw type flow controller on them.

martinkiely
    Free Member

I’ve got one of the Aldi ones, and find that it loses more gas than it gets into the tyre, will be getting something else… pal of mine swears by the Decathlon spring nozzle one.

qtip

I use the Lifeline with Control Valve. I’ve had no problems with it and have had no issues with leakage of partially used canisters that have been put back into the tool roll in my Camelbak.

Linky

You have to be careful if using it with valves that have removable valve cores (as with any other screw-on inflator) as it can freeze on and unscrew the core when you remove it. It also doesn’t screw on to my Schwalbe Procore valves which don’t have the normal valve stem threads. Neither of these are really a problem though as I’ve had no issues with leakage by just pressing the head firmly onto the valve and not screwing it on. Alternatively, you just have to wait a few seconds for the valve to thaw before unscrewing.

jayx2a
    Free Member

Lifeline one looks decent!

NigE5
    Free Member

Second the lifeline one very neat and tidy.

pdw
    Free Member

Price has gone up a bit, but I use these:

https://www.co2cartridges.co.uk/co2-mini-tyre-inflator-pump-inc-2-x-16g-threaded

Now £7 including two cartridges. Push on to valve to inflate, let go to stop. Doesn’t seem to leak with a partially used cartridge.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Co2 inflators – much of a muchness?’ is closed to new replies.