Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • CNC machinists
  • fettling
    Free Member

I have a small part I need to get CNC machined and anodised. Can anyone recommend a good service? Looking at all the online 24hr quote people is a bit overwhelming, there are so many.

The part is profiled from 3mm aluminium plate with some countersunk and counterbored holes, plus a profiled slot in the opposite side.
    I need just 2 or 3 qty initially then once my idea goes on kickstarter would want to use the same supplier for batches of 100.

kickstarter project blog is here camvention.co.uk If anyone’s interested.

RustyNissanPrairie

I use Dransfields in Oldham through work for repairs/prototype/low runs of parts via Solidworks/STP files or 2d drawings outputted from SW.
    They can turn stuff around over night if required
    Have pulled me out of the do-do many times.

Don’t know how they compare to the new Facebook promoted fabrication/makery companies but I bet they are far cheaper.

https://www.dransfields.co.uk/services/milling/

fettling
    Free Member

Thanks Rusty, look like a quality outfit. Will add them to my list of potentials (currently 1).

Massive variability on the online quote places I have tried. Obviously once you are looking at 100+ parts the prices are very good. 1 off it is typically 50-100 notes.
    Not sure any traditional business model can compete with that, but want to give them a chance as I appreciate their experience and knowledge to do the job well.

RustyNissanPrairie

Is it the yellow camera item you are wanting made?
    I would expect a one off to be +£100

fettling
    Free Member

I’ve re-designed to avoid tooling for injection molding. There’s a screenshot of the latest design on instagram

camvention on instagram

Silver part in the solidworks screenshot is the one I want machining.

RustyNissanPrairie

Just an idea – if you could live without the chamfer and run a slot rather than the ‘inside’ cable groove you could laser cut them for pence and countersink them easily afterwards.

RustyNissanPrairie

These are my laser go-to’s. They accept DXF/DWG outputted from SW parts

https://www.wec-group.com/index.html

They also list CNC machining however I only use them for laser/waterjet so don’t have any experience of their machining work/lead times/cost

fettling
    Free Member

I like your thinking;

If I can get the plastic tapping screws in a countersunk version that could work. Definitely a cheap way to prototype a few.
    Would probably still want them ball burnished and anodized on production version, quality has to be good IMO

RustyNissanPrairie

You could always Noga burr by hand to break/slightly chamfer the edge.

I have fine glass bead in my shot cabinet at the moment but I don’t have anything lined up aluminium laser wise as I would do some for you unless you are happy to wait but it might be awhile.

fettling
    Free Member

Thanks for the ideas and help Rusty,
    Unfortunately time is not on my side, now I’ve started publicising what I’m doing I need to keep the project moving.
    Will just pay for progress… hopefully the idea takes off on Kickstarter.

RustyNissanPrairie

No probs, good luck 👍

richmars

Protolabs will be quick, but you pay for it. Easy to get a quote via the web.
    https://www.protolabs.co.uk/

stumpy01

Whereabouts are you?

At work we use L&C Precision nr Baldock. Good lads that always do an amazing job, but not that cheap.

Previously I’ve used a company in Paignton, M S Engineering. They were always spot-on and very reasonably priced.

Have you considered getting the prototypes 3D printed, just to prove the form & fit?
    I’ve got a simple 3D printer & have produced stuff previously for people on here.
    I’d be happy to have a look at the design & see if it is something that I could successfully 3D print.
    You mention anodising the parts, so not sure whether this would be a suitable path?

fettling
    Free Member

Thanks Stumpy, I will keep you recommendations on my list.

I have been 3d printing stuff with the kind permission of my work for the moment… You can see the evolution of the design on the latest post on my website. Just yesterday I 3d printed the CNC part to check fit, great minds obviously think alike.

cheers_drive

I’d SLS / MJF the whole thing for prototype and production. Really good finish and likely the cheapest production route up to a few thousand.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘CNC machinists’ is closed to new replies.