Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)
  • Clutch-off riding, what a difference…
  • mikewsmith
    Free Member

Never lose a chain & no sacrifice in suspension performance.

But how can you tell?

stumpy01

But how can you tell?

Maths & science, mainly. The coupling of some complicated trigonometry, kinematics & a free body diagram or two.

That, or I was just messing about & trying to justify my archaic resistance to adopting ‘new tech’. You can decide, which. 😉 just in case….

greyspoke
    Free Member

The compresison-only friction damper on my suspension works a treat

cchris2lou

Never use the clutch.

Makes too much of a différence to the shifting.

mark90
    Free Member

I unintentionally ran the first 1.5 stages of Ard rock practice with the clutch off. Didn’t notice any significant improvement in suspension or any chain slapping noise (which is how i usually realise I have left the clutch off)  during stage 1. Coming down stage 2 I noticed the chain slapping noise and realised my mistake, thought I’d get away with it till the bottom of the stage. Had I still been running a standard chain ring I would have due to the chain guide, however with the oval I have to run the chain guide with clearance for the big diameter. So as soon as I got to a pedally bit and put the ‘power’ down to pass someone the chain dropped. Bloody typical, make me look a knob why don’t you.

Clutch on for rest of practice and race day, no more issues. Think I’ll run my clutch on, well at least when I remember.

andreasrhoen
    Free Member

amateur. i take my chain off at the top of every descent.

yes. That’s the way to go.

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, I noticed a big difference too. When I back-pedalled half a turn to set up for a steep tight corner my chain fell off, jammed against the chainstay, and I came to a messy halt…

Larry_Lamb
    Free Member

Never use the clutch.

Makes too much of a différence to the shifting.

Then adjust it.

Viewing 8 posts - 41 through 48 (of 48 total)

The topic ‘Clutch-off riding, what a difference…’ is closed to new replies.