Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,702 total)
  • Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)
  • CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Jeebus I didn’t do any kerning! Way too much faff on my lunch break.

You only need kerning if you do doing a logo for TandemJerome

stumpy01

From M-F’s original TandemJeremy selection:

1 – TJ owns a yacht and ponces around the marina a lot with a jumper hung over his shoulders

2 – TJ is a computer repair man

3 – TJ is a builder or sells rugged clothing to the construction industry

4 – TJ has a photograpy website & does ‘bespoke artwork’

5 – TJ is a kid’s entertainer or author of children’s books.

Quite amazing actually what those different fonts convey!

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Can some one just post ‘Jeremy’ in Tandem font?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

1 – TJ owns a yacht and ponces around the marina a lot with a jumper hung over his shoulders

2 – TJ is a computer repair man

3 – TJ is a builder or sells rugged clothing to the construction industry

4 – TJ has a photograpy website & does ‘bespoke artwork’

5 – TJ is a kid’s entertainer or author of children’s books.

Quite amazing actually what those different fonts convey!

No, no they don’t they all say the same thing, only some more clearly than others.

-SheldonJeremy

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stumpy – only if you understand the “language” which most folk who do not work in that world do not.

charlie – indeed – all they are to me is my name – some more clearly than others.

molgrips
    Free Member

TJ, they don’t spend money on this stuff for the hell of it. It’s been proven to have an effect. Perhaps not on you, perhaps you’re better than us all, but it DOES have an effect.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Really? Proof? lets see some.

its grossly overstated IMO

Jamie
    Free Member

But, I assumed advertising working is just one of those things that is generally accepted as true. Like the Earth going round the Sun etc.

tyredbiker
    Free Member

lol …now I really fancy an omelette …

sweepy
    Free Member

I fancy an ommelette

Edit: ill have em scrambled next time, it’ll be quicker

Militant_biker

I don’t need any?

stumpy01

TandemJeremy – Member
    Stumpy – only if you understand the “language” which most folk who do not work in that world do not.

I do not work in ‘that world’ but I can see how using a certain font & logo can lend a company or a person a certain ‘air’, whether that is professional, funny, caring etc.

For example, I have had nothing to do with despatch/haulage/freight but 2 professional haulage companies that I would immediately consider using due to my perception of them (via their branding) are Eddie Stobart & Kuehne & Nagel….
    Now, you could argue that Eddie Stobart is the obvious one, as it is so prominent in the UK, but I don’t see Kuehne & Nagel lorries very often. But, when i do see them they are always clean & the branding/name seems professional to me.
    I don’t know why and I don’t know why it has stuck in my head over many other haulage company names/logos that I have seen over the years.

Also – every year the local Rotary club does a competition thing, which is some kind of quiz. This year it is logo’s and there are getting on for 100 logos on some paper. You have to say what company they represent. I managed to get probably 85% of them straight away, so I recognise/remember the name of a company through it’s logo.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

stumpy – but if the logo was simply the name of the company then you would know 100% of the names. So having fancy logos reduces recognition

donsimon
    Free Member

stumpy – but if the logo was simply the name of the company then you would know 100% of the names.

And what they do?
    And whether they are good or bad?
    And if it’s something you want to buy into?

jalopy
    Free Member

I love this Japanese transport company logo:
    Yamato Transport Co

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t need any?

Need any what?

donsimon
    Free Member

I like that jalopy, inmage worth a thousand words…

tyredbiker
    Free Member

…this always descends into a debate…back to inappropriate logos;

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

charlie – indeed – all they are to me is my name – some more clearly than others.

That’s quite interesting. Have you always been unable to interpret non-verbal signals?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

tyredbiker

Brilliant

thebunk

I’d love to see Times Square, Picadilly Circus, Football matches, Newspapers, Magazines etc, if everyone did branding the TJ way.

oooh, can someone do a photoshop to demonstrate the problem with this vision?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

So are you really not able to tell the visual difference between, say, a comic typeface and an Olde English typeface or a digital typeface?

donsimon
    Free Member

So are you really not able to tell the visual difference between, say, a comic typeface and an Olde English typeface or a digital typeface?

To be fair we can only associate the typefaces with previous, known images and ideas and without the association they mean nothing.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I can tell the difference – but that difference carries no meaning. The only thing that matters to me in this context is the clarity.

As I say – Its like the language of the handkerchief in the pocket to tell sexual preference. I can see the hanky in the pocket. I might even realise it is supposed to convey some meaning but I have no idea what that meaning is.

In the case of the logos and the font – the meaning of the font is not inherent in the font. its a construction of those in the industry and is meaningless to many of us outside the industry. I have no idea what you are intending to convey by the different fonts. I see a fancy font and I think – “winker”

tyredbiker
    Free Member

I like the font on this one…

jackthedog
    Free Member

stumpy – but if the logo was simply the name of the company then you would know 100% of the names. So having fancy logos reduces recognition

Press the big reset right now that instantly reduces every single company’s brand to plain black Arial, then watch as they immediately and expensively rush to rebuild the very carefully managed brand images they’ve maintained for years. They wouldn’t spend that money for no reason.

Branding works. You might not think it does, you might not like that it does. But it does. You might be rubbed up the wrong way by those you perceive as arty farty superior design types. You might liken it to snake oil sales. You yourself might be bizarrely enlightened enough to be completely impervious to branding.

But on the whole, branding works. On a multinational scale and a small local scale, for evil mega corps and friendly local charity.

A poor brand image can harm a company/organisation just as much as a good brand image can benefit it. Just try to find a successful company that doesn’t take its branding very seriously.

GrahamS

I can tell the difference – but that difference carries no meaning. The only thing that matters to me in this context is the clarity.

This has disturbing echoes of your views on photography TJ

From that conversation and this one I think it’s clear that your visual cortex works in a completely different way to that of a human being. 🙄

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

To be fair we can only associate the typefaces with previous, known images and ideas and without the association they mean nothing.

Agreed, but that recognition is there and those are the devices creatives/marketing people use to generate a mood around a brand. Just in the same way colour does – why does red mean danger? Why does Green suggest environmental? Prior association, that’s all.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

You yourself might be bizarrely enlightened enough to be completely impervious to branding.

We have been there before. TJ actually really does, in reality, check the price of all tins of baked beans then buy the cheapest one (but not necessarily the *cheapest* one). The labeling saying ‘Value’ holds no court with TJ, oh no. Really. He told us once.

donsimon
    Free Member

Exactly and it just demonstrates that Tandem has neither previous experiences or imagination.

Jamie
    Free Member

oooh, can someone do a photoshop to demonstrate the problem with this vision?

Filthy five second photoshop…..

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

But on the whole, branding works. On a multinational scale and a small local scale, for evil mega corps and friendly local charity

I find it hard to believe that people on a mountainbike forum, associated with a commercial magazine, can think that branding and advertising don’t work! surely you don’t think your choice of bike and your choice to ride MTB were decisions freely made?

Jamie
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UpUcgPP-YY[/video]

donsimon
    Free Member

surely you don’t think your choice of bike and your choice to ride MTB were decisions freely made?

Why not? If you know the features that you want from a bike the brand (name) is less important. If you buy a bike because of an image, the brand is important. But yes, generally everything has an outside influence.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Why not? If you know the features that you want from a bike the brand (name) is less important. If you buy a bike because of an image, the brand is important. But yes, generally everything has an outside influence.

Sure I’ll accept that the actual name is less important, but partly the fact that you want those features is a result of marketing and placement and the idea that one particular product meets your specific needs more precisely than another is part of that marketing. Not to mention that many component manufacturers turn out exactly the same stuff under different labels. Then there is style of riding, these go through phases and fashions, driven by marketing.

stumpy01

TandemJeremy – Member

Really?

Or perhaps if they were just names, I wouldn’t remember them at all, or perhaps I wouldn’t remember them in context – so seeing the name Kuehne & Nagel wouldn’t give me the link to make me think “ah, that’s the haulage company that I saw the other day on the side of that blue lorry with the anchor symbol…”, but would make me think “hmmm, I’ve seen that name before, but I can’t remember where from”………

Yes, I couldn’t remember all of the logo’s, and yes if they were just names I would have been able to READ all of them, but that doesn’t mean I would have known what they are, whereas all of the logo’s I recognised I was able to associate with a product/service.

Jamie
    Free Member

On the subject of logos, hopefully everyone has seen this:

….contains lots of swearyness.

[video]http://vimeo.com/10149605[/video]

philconsequence
    Free Member

i like branding… it means i can easily spot my favourite banks, fast food outlets and pubs from a distance, if it was all plain white signs with the same font i wouldnt know where anything was until i got close enough to read.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

CharlieMungu

I find it hard to believe that people on a mountainbike forum, associated with a commercial magazine, can think that branding and advertising don’t work! surely you don’t think your choice of bike and your choice to ride MTB were decisions freely made?

Absolutely so.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Ah yes, but branding and therefore your favourite brands would not exist in TJ’s Utopia! Grey suits for the workers, all shall eat at the communal cafeteria. No need for choice or logos there!

😉

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 1,702 total)

The topic ‘Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)’ is closed to new replies.