Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,702 total)
  • Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)
  • mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Stumpy01 has a very good point – that is no doubt the reason why almost all branding is actually done – recognition and association.

molgrips
    Free Member

its a construction of those in the industry and is meaningless to many of us outside the industry

It’s not a construction of the industry. They industry reflects wider society and culture – not the other way round.

TJ I think you are actually slightly autistic, which is why this stuff is meaningless to you. That’s not an insult btw.

Jamie
    Free Member

TJ I think you are actually slightly autistic, which is why this stuff is meaningless to you. That’s not an insult btw.

Tagging ‘this is not an insult’ onto the end of a sentence, doesn’t always make it so.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Tagging ‘this is not an insult’ onto the end of a sentence, doesn’t always make it so.

how could suggesting someone is slightly autistic be construed as an insult?

donsimon
    Free Member

Sure I’ll accept that the actual name is less important, but partly the fact that you want those features is a result of marketing research and placement and the idea that one particular product meets your specific needs more precisely than another is part of that marketing. Not to mention that many component manufacturers turn out exactly the same stuff under different labels. Then there is style of riding, these go through phases and fashions, driven by marketing.

Exactly, and this thread is looking at the effect of either names or logos and their ability to make you buy one product over another. When you have to similar products and you have to buy one, what is your decision based on? We see the idea that the same manufacturers churn out the same stuff under different labels every day here, and what differentiates one product from the other? When all things are equal, I guess it must be the value that the supplier can add in the form of service, or price advantage, or cachet.
    A logo is a way of helping you to remember the name of the company, IMO, without using words.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

No molgrips -= the fact that to you various fonts have hidden meanings is totally an industry construct. There is no intrinsic meaning in one font over another. Non at all.

Its the same thing again. You confuse what something is branded as for what its properties are. One is inherent, one is a construct.

I’d accept some autistic spectrum traits.

donsimon
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me why I have a sudden urge to go and buy some eggs?

philconsequence
    Free Member

EDIT – TJ, do any of the brands have autistic value to you at all?

IGMC

Jamie
    Free Member

how could suggesting someone is slightly autistic be construed as an insult?

Well, Molgrips must have thought there was a possibility it could have been construed as such, hence the disclaimer.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

No molgrips -= the fact that to you various fonts have hidden meanings is totally an industry construct. There is no intrinsic meaning in one font over another. Non at all.

Its the same thing again. You confuse what something is branded as for what its properties are. One is inherent, one is a construct.

yes, but the construct has led to a general consensus. It is a social construction and would not have meaning in a different environment. However, in most of the Western world. There is the consensus so the meaning is real, even if not intrinsic

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Charlie – I get you to see! However the construct is only in people who work in the industry. It has no meaning beyond this in the general public at large. There is no conscensus

So – to go back to the beginning of this. Does anyone see this as money well spent?

Jamie
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me why I have a sudden urge to go and buy some eggs?

Dunno.

Anyway. Have I told you about my favourite film, Cool Hand Luke?

donsimon
    Free Member

No, I don’t want to see a movie, I want, nay need EGGS, AND I WANT THEM NOW!!!
    And Tandem, you’re right regarding the London 2012 logo and emperor’s new clothes in the way of invoking experiences and previous known qualities, but that doesn’t apply to all logos.
    EDIT: As it has now become synonymous and instantly recognisable, then the answer has to be a clear “YES”

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

So – to go back to the beginning of this. Does anyone see this as money well spent?

why don’t you tell us what it is first

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member
    Charlie – I get you to see! However the construct is only in people who work in the industry. It has no meaning beyond this in the general public at large.

TJ – what gives you the authority to speak for “the general public at large” on this? You have an opinion on how it affects you. End. Of.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Does anyone see this as money well spent?

The logo or the brand?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

However the construct is only in people who work in the industry

No, most people who see a Comic font, take a pretty similar message.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – the same authority as MF and co have. Fair point tho. Do you really think that there is s hidden meaning in what ffont is used that everyone in the west understands?

Certainly the people I know more think like I do that like CM and MF.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Do you really think that there is s hidden meaning in what ffont is used that everyone in the west understands?

It’s not hidden!!!

GrahamS

There is no intrinsic meaning in one font over another. Non at all.

There quite clearly is to me and I’m not in any way a “graphical” person.

I wouldn’t use a solicitor, accountant or funeral director whose logo was in Comic Sans – would you? Really?

Jamie
    Free Member

This thread has hit the tipping point, and then fallen off the cliff.

Shame….fun while it lasted.

druidh
    Free Member

TJ…

GrahamS – Member

I wouldn’t use a solicitor, accountant or funeral director whose logo was in Comic Sans – would you? Really?That’s a good answer.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

funeral director whose logo was in Comic Sans

I don’t know, done well and it might be the P.O.D. that gets them the competitive edge and the clear place in their marketplace.

😀

philconsequence
    Free Member

i wouldn’t employ someone who handed in a CV written in comic sans

(but i would employ someone with tattoos, piercings and ginger hair… in the interest of fairness)

(maybe not the ginger hair)

donsimon
    Free Member

This thread has hit the tipping point, and then fallen off the cliff.

Shame….fun while it lasted.
    Who are you to say whether it has fallen ,or not?

P.O.D.

???

Jamie
    Free Member

I don’t know, done well and it might be the P.O.D. that gets them the competitive edge and the clear place in their marketplace.

…also if they dressed like clowns.

Who are you to say whether it has fallen ,or not?

Shut up and eat your eggs.

donsimon
    Free Member

Yes sir. 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Druidh – MF thinks its acceptable – my point made. Its not intrinsic meaning, its a construct and one that is not clear to all

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Druidh – MF thinks its acceptable – my point made. Its not intrinsic meaning, its a construct and one that is not clear to all

He put a smiley at the end.
    Do you think most people would think that comic sans was an appropriate font for an undertaker?

molgrips
    Free Member

No molgrips -= the fact that to you various fonts have hidden meanings is totally an industry construct.

It’s not really a hidden meaning, it’s just a subconscious association that’s emerged over centuries of collective exposure to ideas. I wouldn’t call it an industry construct, since associations have been going on since the beginning of the commercial age. Not really the same thing.

Certainly the people I know more think like I do that like CM and MF

Well that could easily be because you choose to hang out with people who see things in a similar way to yourself. There are a lot of people out here though who see things differently.

Re the 2012 logo – remember this is one of the only logos that is going out across the entire world. Asia, Europe, the Americas are all very different in terms of commerical aesthetics and I reckon that represents a massive design challenge.

druidh
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – Member

Yes – but he thinks it’s acceptable while also accepting that the use of the font would mark out the FD as being a bit “different” in their approach. Once again, it’s the visual branding which affects his decision.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Here – I have spotted a gap in the market…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Mind you I don’t even know what comic sans is 🙂 is that it above? it seems nice and clear to me.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

P.O.D.

Point Of Difference.

donsimon
    Free Member

it seems nice and clear to me.

But what does it say to you Tandem?

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Re the 2012 logo – remember this is one of the only logos that is going out across the entire world. Asia, Europe, the Americas are all very different in terms of commerical aesthetics and I reckon that represents a massive design challenge.

and it doesn’t even mention the olympics on it. But we still know what it is for

molgrips
    Free Member

Lol.. loving the demonstrations MF 🙂

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Ohh MF, how about a B.O.G.O.F offer?

Box one get one free?

donsimon
    Free Member

P.O.D.

Point Of Difference.
    Ta!

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Once again, it’s the visual branding which affects his decision.

It is understanding the effect that branding has on people that meant it could be acceptable to use it if the funeral director had suggested they wanted to go after a different market and was open to being light-hearted and amusing in their approach.

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 1,702 total)

The topic ‘Clever logo… (well I thought so anyway)’ is closed to new replies.