• This topic has 12 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by enfht.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Cleaning a bike indoors…
  • DT78
    Free Member

Any bright ideas on how you could potential give a bike a nice clean in the kitchen without trashing everywhere? Road bike with salt and crap all over not loads of mud. Outside isn’t really a goer at the moment as pitch black and freezing.

Or do I just Mtfu and wear a head torch and multiple layers…

yunki
    Free Member

Did my MTB in the kitchen yesterday… As long as you’re prepared to clean the lino afterwards I don’t see an issue with it

bikebouy
    Free Member

I do sometimes, I use a few cloths, sponge for a first overall wipe then cloths and WD40. For the chain I used cloths covered in degreaser and wipe hard then lube the essentials with GT85 again, in a cloth.

euans2
    Free Member

Place a couple of black bin bags under the bike to collect all the dirt

smatkins1
    Free Member

Take it in the shower while nobody is around… give it a good scrub!

DT78
    Free Member

Wife is frowning and suggesting it can wait till after sat mornings ride…hmmm shall I risk the wrath?

domderbyshire
    Free Member

I get the worst off outside with a hose, then let it dry in the garage. After that I bring it into the kitchen when the wife is out and clean it properly. Just wipe the flood afterwards and all is well.

climbingkev
    Free Member

Hose the worst of, let dry, take indoors…….Wet wipes are your friend!

fisherboy
    Free Member

Baby wipes do the trick for light dirt such as on road bikes. Designed for getting much worse of off babies and gentle too. Great for a quick spruce up after a ride.

votchy
    Free Member

[/url]bike cleaning by markywatton, on Flickr[/img]

cookeaa

Baby wipes are good, for getting most of the accumulated shite off of the bike, you could do that in the kitchen over some newspaper, but they won’t get grimey rims/brake blocks clean enough IME…

it’s an outside job, with bucket of warm soapy water and an old washing up sponge/scourer jobbie, wheels off and give them a thorough scrubbing and rinse, then have a good go at the brake blocks…

Chain off first of course though, shake it about in a jam jar full of your preferred cleaning agent; meths, white spirit, petrol, diesel, badger spittle… to rinse and re-lube later

butcher

Quick two minutes with a bucket and sponge outside to get the worst off, then do the rest indoors. Don’t really need to make a mess at all. Old cloth and some multi purpose cleaner usually does the trick for me.

enfht
    Free Member

Let the mud dry, then break off what’s in the way. Drivetrain and suspension is all that’s worth worrying about.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Cleaning a bike indoors…’ is closed to new replies.