Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)
  • Cleaners
  • Cougar

From here,

Things you were completely skeptical about but now utterly convinced

“+1 for paying someone else to clean your house”

I’m curious, what’s the going rate for such a service and how many hours a week do folk have in employ?

For context, I’ve recently moved into a much larger house with my girlfriend and inherited a couple of 20-something slobs in the process. Even having someone pop round occasionally to shove a hoover about or wash down a bathroom would be a massive help.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

4 hours per fortnight
    £11 per hour
    South Manc

robowns
    Free Member

2hrs a fortnight, about 25quid a pop, London.

Money very well spent, completely negates the BS need to do deep clean on Sunday when you’ve worked all week.

oldtennisshoes

4hrs @ £13 per hour in Scotland
    She is like a Duracell bunny though – never stops once she takes her coat off.
    Money well spent just keeping the kitchen and bathrooms nice.

peekay

4hrs every fortnight (actually 2hrs with two people).

£13/hr, £52 total.

Surrey.

doomanic

How is that even close to enough? Presumably some cleaning is done at some point on the other days? One clean every week just wouldn’t cut it for our household.

Cougar

Thank you all, keep it coming.

How is that even close to enough?

It’s not of course, but we do still live here and are doing housework ourselves too. I’m just looking to lighten the load a little.

robowns
    Free Member

You obviously keep it tidy during the week – cleaner does the deep clean bits.

Cougar

What does “deep clean” mean in this context?

binners

thols2

longmover
    Free Member

2 hours per week £11/hr Cornwall. Dusts, cleans the floors kitchen and bathroom.

kilo

Three hours ish, if it’s done quicker, it’s done quicker, fifty quid.

devbrix
    Free Member

£11/hr in Devon plus all the local gossip(priceless)

jonba
    Free Member

£40 for 3 hours every other week.

Through an agency in Newcastle.

There’s only 2 of us, with more people you might want a bit more regularly.

timmys

2 hrs a week, £25. Hertfordshire

MoreCashThanDash

So tempted, but MrsMC- who causes most of the mess but does little of the cleaning – doesn’t see the need. One of the reasons I work a 4 day week is so I can spend a couple of hours cleaning.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Ours comes round every week and is £20. She probably spends a good couple of hours going around the place and does a great job. But be warned…a good cleaner is hard to find (got Fergal Sharkey going on in my head as I typed that). We went through a few before finding our current one and are sticking with her. She’s brill.

TheDTs
    Free Member

£40 for three hours, once a week. We have had the same one for over 11 years. She is lovely and occasionally makes us a brilliant Thai green curry.

jambourgie
    Free Member

I’m so gonna do this. I detest spending time cleaning. Do you all just give them a key and let them crack on?

sadexpunk

my wife does this, charges £11 p/h. most of her customers are elderly and enjoy the chat whilst she cleans, but some will give her a spare key if its whilst theyre at work.

id guess most would be 2 hrs per week although one bigger house asks her to clean for 5 hrs each week.

shes had a variety of clients over the years spanning the full range from ‘sod this we’ve got a cleaner, i’m not lifting a finger’ to ‘the cleaner will be round soon, dont want her to see it like this” 🙂

RustyNissanPrairie

The good thing about having a cleaner is that it makes you clean before the cleaner arrives so they don’t think you’re a slovenly scruffy ****. Or it did with us……

Edited to add – beaten by 4 minutes

Cougar

That’s almost certainly what would happen here, yes.

MoreCashThanDash

A mate has always had a cleaner as he and his wife both worked silly hours.

I discovered this when I was staying with them for a few days and found a strange woman in the dining room as I walked through from having a shower in their downstairs bathroom.

Oh how we laughed…..

db

2 hrs per week for us. It does make us clean up before hand or at least keep the house tidy.

During lockdown I’ve spoken more to the cleaner and post person more than almost anyone else!

Edit £140 a month which seems expensive compared to some on here! That is via a company ‘poppies’ so maybe that makes a difference. Based in midlands.

sadexpunk

I discovered this when I was staying with them for a few days and found a strange woman in the dining room as I walked through from having a shower in their downstairs bathroom.

you are robin askwith AICM £5.

ra

cheers_drive

1.5hrs a week, £10 an hour. Near Cambridge.
    With 2 young kids and us both working those 1.5hrs are definitely worthwhile.
    House tidied after kids go to bed, kitchen kept clean. Tables wiped, spillages cleared up. The cleaner does the rest

cheers_drive

you are robin askwith AICM £5.

A friend walked in to his bathroom after work one day to find that his cleaner cleaned the shower naked. She was about 60 and had had a hard life so it wasn’t quite fantasy situation

kilo

A friend walked in to his bathroom after work one day to find that his cleaner cleaned the shower naked. She was about 60 and had had a hard life so it wasn’t quite fantasy situation

A colleague returned to the office late one night to find another male colleague hoovering the office stark naked. It seems the hooverer was some sort of pervert. Also the office had a proper cleaner so doubly wierd.

leffeboy

fwiw most folks I know have someone for about 4 hours a week, we run a bit more.  Belgium since 2004 has had this system where households pay 8 squids an hour for someone to an agency.  The agency pay the people about 10 an hour and in addition they get holiday pay, end of year bonus and social security covered.  I think it costs the government in total about 20/hour. The idea was to move folks out of the black economy, give them rights as well as making it easier for households to find people to do the work. Appears to work well for most folks on both side of the deal

Cougar

A colleague returned to the office late one night to find another male colleague hoovering the office stark naked. It seems the hooverer was some sort of pervert. Also the office had a proper cleaner so doubly wierd.

I used to have one of those next door. Up at all hours, shoving the vacuum cleaner about with all the lights off. Weird bloke, he used to keep birds of prey in his back yard too.

His antics eventually got him into the papers. “Hawk Kestrel Man Hoovers in the Dark.”

TheDTs
    Free Member

Bravo Cougar. 👏👏👏

RustyNissanPrairie

🙄

Cougar

In related news,

I’ve just cleaned the bathroom as ‘requested’ by my other half. In the cabinet under the sink where the cleaning products naturally live I found, amongst other things:

Four near-empty bottles of bleach (like, you squeeze the bottle and you get a ‘thbbbbb’ noise rather than delivering any product).
    Two near-empty bottles of bathroom cleaner.
    Two near-full bottles of bathroom cleaner.
    A bottle of ceramic hob cleaner (we do not have a ceramic hob in the house at all, let alone in the bathroom).
    A posh face cloth.
    A nit comb.
    A tub of table salt.

WHY?! WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS TO ME, WOMAN?!

zippykona

Epsom, 3 bed house with 2 people and no pets. We pay £36 every week for 2 ladies to clean. No idea how long they take as we are at work but they do a brilliant job.
    Shame they’ve been stuck in Brazil since Christmas.
    I miss them.
    Edit. our friend has a £4 million ,7 bed house with just her in it as the kids are at uni. She has a cleaner every day in the week and he seems to be there all day , he earns more than me.
    A very ,very cushy number.

alpin
    Free Member

Decadenttrackworld.com

intheborders
    Free Member

I’ve had a cleaner pretty much my entire working life, and so did my folks.

Takes about 4 hours a week, but we’ve a decent sized place and a couple of dogs.

We do ‘clean’ up after ourselves, but don’t hoover/dust etc and both hate clutter – so the place is always tidy.

Life is too short.

MoreCashThanDash

Do we share a wife?

doris5000

MrsDoris used to do this around Dalston / Stoke Newington in the 90s. She once got shouted at by David Baddiel (who was next door) for turning the stereo up too loud

Is this a humblebrag that you haven’t even opened the cupboard with the cleaning stuff for the last four years?

😆 😆

Cougar

Is this a humblebrag that you haven’t even opened the cupboard with the cleaning stuff for the last four years?

We recently moved house. Prior to moving I was the only one who cleaned the bathroom ever. After moving it’s a joint task and she’s too efficient.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 120 total)

The topic ‘Cleaners’ is closed to new replies.