Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Clean Air Zone – Greater Manchester
  • beagle
    Free Member

Anybody know much more on how likely this is to go ahead on current proposals/scope? I.e. the whole of greater Manchester? Anpr enforcement? Surely this can’t cover all roads and if not, won’t it just encourage traffic into more residential routes?

I suppose this ties in with other recent threads to a degree. Future of combustion engine etc.

I walk the kids to school, passing older 3 and 4 litre diesel 4x4s, idling at the high school, pavement parked. I cycle where possible, use public transport and try and be as impact free as I can. In principle, I agree to the implementation of the scheme and for the need for EVERYONE to make changes.

I do however have a low mileage 2008 1.9 T5, caravelle conversion, which cost me a lot to do in 2011, which I use for family holidays, days out with kit/bikes and adventures. Very well looked after as I planned on keeping it long term. My only short journeys are usually checking up on my elderly parents, which can be time critical. I also choose to drive locally when I can’t guarantee safe/secure journey by bike.

The van is a year from being Euro 5 and therefore can’t be converted to be CAZ compliant (as I understand it). I spoke to an ‘approved’ converter earlier.

We are 1.5 miles max from the edge of Greater Manchester/Cheshire East. Never drive it into the city centre.

Looks like the zone is 24/7 And £10 per day for an LGV platform. No private cars included obviously. We are also currently looking at replacing the wife’s old Pug to something cleaner/newer but as documented in the other threads – cost for electric or hybrid is bonkers. We own both vehicles and pay no loans etc. We’d rather avoid that. Especially twice.

Off to find out whether my euro4 can somehow become compliant. Seems such a waste of a decent vehicle 🥲

duncancallum

Is your t5 registered as a camper?

db

Well I know there is going to be nearly 900 cameras covering the entry to the 1300 km2 zone!

beagle
    Free Member

No. It’s a Caravelle conversion – full width bench seat on rails/multiflex table/bed. Would need quite a lot more to convert and from limited reading, DVLA
    process sounds onerous and hit and miss. Also, as it stands proposals will include all vehicles on that platform – including campervans!

db

Oh and probably just register it as a taxi/private hire vehicle and you will be fine. I think that’s what folk did in London but guessing the loophole might be closed.

“Beagle Private Hire” airport runs a specialty!

beagle
    Free Member

Looks they they are included too db 😭

duncancallum

If it’s a caravelle its classed as a car anyway isn’t it?

beagle
    Free Member

Mine is N1. I can’t change that as I understand it.

julians
    Free Member

https://cleanairgm.com/

website is pretty clear.

Its all roads (with a couple of notable exceptions)

Private cars and motorbikes are not subject to the charges

Vans and commercials (light goods vehicles) are subject to the charge if they are not compliant.

Its going to come down to whether your t5 is classed as a private car, or an LGV.

dooosuk
    Free Member

We are 1.5 miles max from the edge of Greater Manchester/Cheshire East.

Then yes, you are within the zone.

As above, your old Peugeot will be no charge if it’s a car. Van you’ll need to check what it’s registered as.

weester
    Free Member

I’ve just mentioned this to a lady at work whose husband’s business owns 8 small commercial vehicles, and they have just bought a euro 5 cherry picker on a van chassis at a cost of £30,000. She was very upset with me.
    I too will have to get rid of my 2013 T5 camper.

beagle
    Free Member

Oh. I know I’m in the zone! And I know (as per original post) that the wife’s car (and all private cars) will be exempt.

Interested to see if there are any ways I could keep it. Either change of class or convert to be compliant. Over ten years of love and care and happy memories in that machine.

julians
    Free Member

you could just pay the tenner everytime you use it, you say you dont use it much, so that might be the pragmatic solution?

You’ll have to work out whether its cheaper to pay the tenner or buy a new van.

or pay to store it somewhere outside the zone, and never take it back inside?

weester
    Free Member

I’m not sure how you could do that. Mine is ‘Body Type’ Motor Caravan but ‘Taxation Class’ is still Light Goods Vehicle.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

Looks like the congestion charge via the backdoor. There won’t be a referendum this time round what with Greater Manchester voting 79% against last time and the borough most in favour only 28%.

In the last five years councils up and down the country have extended parking restrictions from 6:00pm to 8:00pm and 24 hrs in a lot of places. I don’t recall public demands for any of these additional restrictions/taxes either.

neilnevill
    Free Member

Caz are in response to the legal requirement do for air quality which we don’t meet.

duncancallum

If your in the zone will it see you use it?

beagle
    Free Member

Yeah. As it reads on the web. And being on the edge of the zone – most of my journeys are away from Central Manchester, thus crossing the boundary.

I wouldn’t mind if everyone was doing their bit etc. As I said – some of the old 4x4s pavement parking and idling around school kick out time will rile me even more!

weester
    Free Member

If someone can explain to me how an 8 year old Landrover Discovery (with a ‘One life, Live it’ sticky on the bumper) produces fewer harmful emissions than my T5, I’m all ears!

Also, how many more Euro5 cars are there on the roads than Euro5 vans? And how many of those vans are parked up most of the time and not used for deliveries, ie builders vans and the like? Easy targets if you ask me!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Clean Air Zone – Greater Manchester’ is closed to new replies.