Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Classic paint jobs
  • BearBack
    Free Member

Please Inspire me with the your favorite or the best timeless paint jobs (full sus bike).
    I need inspiration beyond machine grey with black decals, and a black fork!

kayak23

You haven’t got to look much further than Production Privee. They know how to carry off the classics from the car world at least.

Mostly hardtails though as everyone knows hardtails look better.

krixmeister

Not FS, but I think nothing beats a Klein fade – gator or sunrise in particular.

zippykona

I’m loving the Gulf colour scheme.

PJay
    Free Member

I always liked this one:

matt_outandabout

Everyone likes sparkles, yeah?

Rubber_Buccaneer

Timeless and classy

easily
    Free Member

@Rubber_Buccaneer

Thanks. I can never unseen that.

damascus
    Free Member

Production privee paint jobs are fantastic

matt_outandabout

Shand has some good ones – there’s a “paint & graphics” album lower down.
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/shandcycles/albums/

avdave2

They’s all be much better with the forks painted as part of the scheme rather than whatever stock option looks least bad as illustrated by the Yeti

Houns

Not exactly paint, but, anything by Firefly, No. 22 or Mooro

stuey
    Free Member

Wavey Trimble - yummy,

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

As long as we’re doing ‘classic’ not ‘classy’ 😎

https://pin.it/2WMTLyd

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/download/file.php?id=132951

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/6pLijj]Kona A'Ha Cruiser Stars n Bars Single Speed. 1997[/url] by Jim Ratliff, on Flickr

binners

First answer was the correct one. That Privee is gorgeous, and reflects the same colours as the best paint job on any car ever

sillyoldman

The PPs paint jobs look like they were designed by children for children to me. Really cheesy.

avdave2

The PPs paint jobs look like they were designed by children for children to me. Really cheesy.

Says old man who plays about in the woods on a pushbike like a child.😊

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

First answer was the correct one. That Privee is gorgeous, and reflects the same colours as the best paint job on any car ever

Yea but………..

It’s “just” orange and blue, it’s eyecatching, but it’s been overdone. Do you want to ride the bike equivalent of an Orange and Teal Micael Bay film? Get someone with perky boob’s to ride it past some military guys, add an American flag and an explosion and you’ve got a blockbuster on your hands.

binners

They did a Martini one too. The second best paintjob ever put on a car…

Got to be the best looking bouncy bike, surely?

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

*finally reads the ‘full sus bikes’ requirement. 😬

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

They did a Martini one too. The second best paintjob ever put on a car…

Yea, but again overdone, even Specialized had done it.

sillyoldman

Says old man who plays about in the woods on a pushbike like a child.😊

Haha! Aye, but on a matt black bike!

jameso

Hard to go wrong with a classic fade, current Treks smooth out the lines of a susser well with a painted rocker
    trek

Controversial I know but Gulf/Martini idea imho never works well on bikes. The colour combos are fine but the panels of a car vs the tubes of a bike is just too different, colour balance or proportions always looks off to me.

BearBack
    Free Member

yep, liking that fade, my fave so far. Could be subtle or loud colours but still effective.
    I don’t think my full sus project would work with race car pinstripe type paint detailing, however something simple like street ready porsche graphite blue with black lower sill decals looks ace.graphite blue
    p2

andykirk
    Free Member

That Porsche is chav-mungous.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Best paint job ever. 89 Ascent Ex

What you can’t see is that the white is the most stunning pearlescent shimmering white.

andykirk
    Free Member

Oh God Mr Flashheart! I remember that bike! And catalogue! I spent even more time with my nose in that than the Triumph section of the Kays Catalogue.

I had a Diamond Back Topanga. I loved it. And it had a beyond steep head angle and I managed just fine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I had one.

It was awesome.

😎

andykirk
    Free Member

Off topic I know – just wondering how (with such steep head angles) one could ride these things silly fast down very steep slopes and still feel reasonably secure? Is it because older geometry was taller at the front? Or is it down to something else?

doomanic

Ignoring the FS criteria, this is the best bicycle paintjob ever.

This is my favourite FS paintjob. I wish I hadn’t sold mine… 🙁

Kuco

Or is it down to something else?

Didn’t know no better and just got on with it.

Nobby

The Fat Chance aqua fade should have found its way onto a FS by now.

chestercopperpot
    Free Member

This one’s not bad:

bike

same bike

errr bike again

BearBack
    Free Member

Ooohh… A fade done by splatter/texture

LAT

While the Gulf colour scheme is great on a car, but was ruined on a bike as soon as it was used by Trek.

I love the Klein and fat chance fades and Richie tricolour

tomd
    Free Member

I always liked the Klein Storm paintjobs.

https://forums.mtbr.com/attachments/vintage-retro-classic/523040d1267035706-94-klein-attitude-storm-initials-ebay-sale-pics-001.jpgKlein

Off topic I know – just wondering how (with such steep head angles) one could ride these things silly fast down very steep slopes and still feel reasonably secure? Is it because older geometry was taller at the front? Or is it down to something else?

People raced wooden rimmed, cork braked and cotter pin cranked road bikes down unpaved alpine passes 110 years ago on 400km stages. These things at least had a fair chance of getting down the hill with all 4 brake blocks still in place, tyres still stuck on the wheels and the cranks 180deg apart.

funkmasterp

I’ll post what I always do on these threads. Surly Karate Monkey Ops in Spray Tan. Sorry OP, not full suspension or even a hardtail.

Stanton have some nice colours too.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Classic paint jobs’ is closed to new replies.