Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Claiming for a bike on M&S contents – premium impact?
  • pk-ripper
    Free Member

Quick one for those out there with M&S contents insurance that have killed a bike and claimed for it.

Did it materially affect your premiums? I may need to claim about £800…but it’s a trade off against future premium I guess.

trail_rat
    Free Member

you probably wont get insured at the 4k limit next year !

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

A couple of years ago I claimed for 1000 for a stolen bike with no effect on my coverage or premiums.

albino
    Free Member

My premium was affected after a claim last year. I had to claim about 3.5k on bikes and £700 on buildings as the scrotes took the roof off my garage to get the bikes. Anyway I recently received my renewal and the premiums have almost doubled and now they won’t insure any bikes over 1k. (Although it looks like this 1k limit may become standard on their policies soon See this thread. )

You might be ok with an £800 claim however even if you don’t claim and if it’s a theft related incident I think you have to declare when you apply for a new policy – (could be wrong on this though).

Marmoset
    Free Member

I got a new £1500 frame 2 years ago to replace a crash damaged one and I think the premium increased by a quid (that’s right £1) a month…..not bad I thought

Drac

Albino did you bother to put in a quote on the M&S website or did just accept their extortionate renewal quote that all insurance companies give. The answer is never go for the auto renewal just get a new policy.

As for that other thread it’s based on what someone in a call centre said so is hardly a credible source.

albino
    Free Member

@Drac – No point in trying for a new quote. They have put “Special Terms” on my policy in the form of a pedal cycle endorsement. This means I can’t apply over the internet as I don’t adhere to the “assumptions” that most insurers make when making an online application. Even if they could lower it substanstanially I would still have the pedal cycle endorsement limiting my claims to 1k which would wouldn’t provide cover for my bikes so it would be pointless really.
    As for the other thread – just thought it might be worth sharing. If it were to prove correct then there are plenty of people on here that it would affect on renewal.

Aidy
    Free Member

Added about £30 onto my premium last year (I did quotes with and without the claim to see what the difference was), for a claim about double that.

toppers3933
    Free Member

claimed 2200 from them. got renewal quote which was £30 more than last year. went online and did a new policy quote stating claim history etc. quote was £10 cheaper than renewal quote, accepted new quote by going through quidco cash back website and got £30 cash back aswell. net result £10 cheaper than last year.

speaker2animals

I don’t mean to have a go but is there really any point in having insurance if you are worried that a claim could mean that eventually you will have paid back the claim value in premium increases etc? Just a thought. I can see the point that you may want to save a claim for if (not wishing it on you) that you had to make a major claim, 10’s of thousands. But if that was the case would you not be able to get a cheaper policy that didn’t cover anything away from home etc?

njee20
    Free Member

Not the same I realise, but another ‘high risk’ item – I claimed £500 for a phone (who’d actually pay that for an iPhone?!), in our first year having home insurance.

Our renewal premium nearly doubled (up to about £230) – got online and did a new business quote and it came to a bit less than £120, which was about £5 more than the previous year!

pk-ripper
    Free Member

hmmm, should have read the replies before I shelled out for the replacement frame this morning.

Oh well, there’s still 2 bikes separately identified above the 4k limit, so would imagine I’d get fully screwed on them. Long term, probably balances out.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Claiming for a bike on M&S contents – premium impact?’ is closed to new replies.