Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Christmas Wine
  • chipster

So, it’s our turn to “host” Christmas dinner again, this year.
    For eight adults, where shall I shop and what should I buy?
    Menu will be turkey crown and a pork joint and budget ought to be <£10 a bottle, I could maybe stretch it for one bottle, but preferably not far.
    Gizza clue…

jjprestidge
    Free Member

I was going to recommend an 84 Chateau Margaux, but then I saw the budget.

I’d suggest going to your local indie wine merchant and seeing what they recommend. You might need to stretch the budget a little bit, but you’ll get something more interesting than bog standard supermarket wine.

JP

slowoldman

If you’ve got a good butcher get your meat there rather than a supermarket. Don’t forget the chiplotas.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I’d suggest going to your local indie wine merchant and seeing what they recommend. You might need to stretch the budget a little bit, but you’ll get something more interesting than bog standard supermarket wine.

^^This^^

My LWS does a lovely Gamay, and equally lovely old vine Carignan, both at £9.95 a bottle. Discount for case, obviously.

Shop local!

dantsw13

I’ve been very impressed with the Aldi Malbec Reserve – from memory about £8.

stumpyjon

Asda and Sainsburys are both doing 25% off if you buy 6 bottles. My personal tipple is Gallo Family Cabernet Sauvignon. Very nice with a bit of cheese. Preferred the Turning Leaf version but don’t seem to be able to get it anymore.

Wines very subjective anyway. Buy 6 bottles, find one youblije, buy 6 more.

frankconway

Very much in favour of independent LWS – if you have one.
    If not, either majestic or waitrose.
    Waitrose have a selection of ‘fine wines’ at £10/bottle; stretching the definition of fine wine but….worth a look.
    Majestic can offer good value – buy a min of 6 to get their ‘mix six’ price.

lunge

Aldi Exquisite Collection at that budget.
    The Macon Village and the Reisling are good on the white front, the kiwi Pinot Noir is perfectly drinkable for a red.

tails
    Free Member

Douro at Aldi is nice. Also at Aldi haut medoc.

Problem with your local wine shop is if you don’t know what you like the staff are just picking and hoping.

wrightyson
    Free Member

God’s honest truth now, I went in the cupboard the other day after a particularly dry period for the dishwasher. I was like what the **** are these wine glasses? It would appear last year I went to Ikea and purchased 10 of their smallest wine glasses prior to hosting 14 for dinner. Thimbles is the only way I could describe them but I do recall the wine didn’t run out on Christmas day…m

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Problem with your local wine shop is if you don’t know what you like the staff are just picking and hoping.

Alternatively, they’re people who know and love their wine, who are listening to your requirements, asking questions about what you like and providing you with a wine that best meets your brief.

Meanwhile, in a supermarket, you’re looking at the price tag on a shelf.

torch
    Free Member

Campo Viejo Gran Reserva Rioja on the offer from Sainsbury’s. Works out at £9.75 a bottle.

frankconway

When referring to LWS I didn’t mean Bargain Booze or the local garage; think independent shop where the staff can talk intelligently about wine – vfm, food pairing, personal experience.
    Even better when they have tastings…..

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

I’ve tried a variety of shops, the Porta 6 from Majestic is very good @ £6.99/bottle.

But my latest discovery is Barefoot Malbec – Sainsbury’s is selling this for £5.75/bottle plus save a further 25% if you buy more than 6 bottles. Bargain-tastic.

Klunk
    Free Member

a Morgan or a Fleurie.

frankconway

Morgon 🙂
    Julienas – if you’re into beaujolais nouveaux.
    If you have flashy’s amex black credit limit – Romanée Conti followed by Pétrus.
    Now, where’s my brown ale?

ElShalimo

I can’t believe people drink Beaujolais Nouveau any more… And don’t get me started on gamay. It’s like ribena piss

There is so much good wine out there from producers all over the world.

🤦

colournoise

Whatever white Rioja you can get for your budget.

frankconway

I referred to beaujolais – and corrected a spelling mistake – but didn’t advocate.
    Reds & whites for under a tenner? Where to start? Will post links/suggestions after a sleep.

Cougar

A box or two of Merlot or Cabernet from ASDA. It’s Christmas dinner, not a wine & cheese tasting party. After the first glass and three gobfuls of turkey down no-one will give a shite whether you’ve paid ten quid a bottle or are serving it in a sweaty clog, and if they are that particular then they can bring their own.

If I were invited to Christmas dinner by friends, I’d bring my own alcohol and a bottle of something nice for the hosts.

Sandwich

If they are like my LWS they will have some available for tasting and some bread to eat between wines. Bonus is that you should have an open bottle to take home and work through that evening, just to confirm your choice.

dashed
    Free Member

Oi, oi, oi! I’m not having gamay insulted like that!! Perfect match for something heavy and cheesy in the mountains at lunchtime 🙂

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

St John do a pretty decent own label Bag in Box red from their own vineyards. £38 for the equivalent of four bottles, and better for the environment. Unless you’re in London it only makes sense if you buy three boxes to get free delivery, but they do white / rose too.

St. JOHN Rouge 2017 (3L BIB)

tails
    Free Member
    chipster

Thanks for the suggestions, folks.
    According to Google, my nearest LWS is in town, so may be a bit of a pain to get to, but I could have a walk up to it from Sainsbury’s and get some ideas and a couple of bottles off them. Then, go back down to Sainsbury’s and buy 6 bottles from there.

Campo Viejo Gran Reserva Rioja

Ta, I’ll include a couple of those.
    I went for a look in Aldi, yesterday, bought 3 different Toro Loco’s that I remembered were popular on the “quaffable” thread. Also, by chance, I picked up the Reisling that Lunge recommends (might try that tonight).

slowoldman

Subscriber
    If you’ve got a good butcher get your meat there rather than a supermarket

Yep, that’s already ordered.
    Thanks again.

frankconway

If you’re still shopping see link which lists all wines from Majestic upto a tenner; they offer free delivery for min order of 6 bottles; ignore any prices which are ‘lock it in’ as they require a subscription.
    https://www.majestic.co.uk/search?searchText=&priceTo=10&filterCategory=Wines&sortWines=descprice&pageSize=12&view=Products&layoutType=list&pageNum=1
    Unlikely that Sainsbury & your LWS will have much stock in common so you’ll be fishing in two different pools.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Christmas Wine’ is closed to new replies.