Home Forums Chat Forum Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,571 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • weeksy

So here’s where we are with it, it runs and goes well… 

BUT… Always a but isn’t there.

It seems to FLY in reverse but goes, OK going forwards.. 

I watched another Youtube video and that guy puts yellow to yellow and green to blue… (Ours were the other way round).

When i reverse them like that as per his description, obviously my controller is reversed, so down is up and up is down. But i can’t see anything in the menu to change that setting. I could reverse the servo, which has now set us to left and right correctly, but a setting for the forwards/back i don’t see.

Controller is a Reflex Stick Pro 3.1LCD if that helps.

demonracer

Glad you and your lad are having fun! Just had a browse of the manual and this might be useful , also check the epa is set at 100% for throttle reverse and steering in both directions.

Settings are changed by means of the “SEL”, “CH”, “+” and “-“ buttons.

1. Press +/- to select the desired model. You have the choice of 15 memory spaces. The model number and model name are indicated on the LCD display.

2. Press “SEL” to take you to the desired setting. The following functions are available for selection:

a) “REV” setting (reverse direction of servo rotation)
    Press the “CH” button and choose between ST, TH or 3C and
    4C. Press +/- for normal or reverse. 4.

b) “EPA” setting (servo travel limiter)
    Press the “CH” button and choose between TH or ST. To select the direction of rotation, the throttle must be to the front or back with TH, and the steering wheel must be moved left or right with ST. The display shows LFU for left and forwards and RBU for right and brake. The desired value can be set between 0 and 120% by means of +/-.

barney
    Free Member

It’ll definitely have a channel reverse on there somewhere.

Page 26 on here should do it:

https://cdn.simba-dickie-group.de/downloads/500500085/500500085_Anleitung_ReflexStick3-1LCD.pdf

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

There will be a reverse throttle switch on the back of your transmitter.

weeksy

SORTED !!

a) “REV” setting (reverse direction of servo rotation) Press the “CH” button and choose between ST, TH or 3C and 4C. Press +/- for normal or reverse.

So, using the CH button, the first click is for ST (steering), click it again and you get TH (throttle), then + to set to ‘rev’ for reverse throttle….. which is now forwards at full power. 

IT’s in the menu settings not…. sorted :)

weeksy

Thanks for all the help guys.

weeksy

It’s a flying beast !!!!

demonracer

That’s more like it!

Harry_the_Spider

Weeksy, Weeksy, Weeksy! I have to get one now!

When I get the inevitable shit-storm from my missus I’m going to send her round to yours. Assuming that you live on my road.

mogrim

That brings back memories! Grasshopper is the only car I ever managed to barrel roll :D

weeksy

Weeksy, Weeksy, Weeksy! I have to get one now!

When I get the inevitable shit-storm from my missus I’m going to send her round to yours. Assuming that you live on my road.

Apologies to all :)

It seemed like a good idea on Friday after a few ciders… it then went from £80 to £200 for me… So i feel all of your pain.

Friday i showed Mrs Weeksy and was met with “Wasn’t more than £50 was it?”

Errrrm, yeah… it was dear… LOL.

I’ll do the front wheel bearings today if they arrive and then maybe the engine/rear ones this weekend once i can work out how to take it apart without removing EVERYTHING ! lol.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m just going to say that the car was £65… and not mention the radio, batteries, bearings, speed controller, fast charger, spare batteries and so on.

I’m looking at a spend of about £180. For a toy. Hmmm.

However. Savings on Diesel in the last 5 weeks are now somewhere north of £200.

Harry_the_Spider

Also…

Is the battery box door staying on?

What rating battery do you have and how is it lasting?

What helmet design are you going for on your driver?

null

And finally. Can you run these things on a beach without knackering them? Not thinking of dunes, but the damp compacted sand that you get at low tide. I fancy a trip to Southport when I’m allowed out.

weeksy

Is the battery box door staying on?
    Yes

What rating battery do you have and how is it lasting?
    Overlander 3300mah 7.2v Battery. Don’t know yet.. My lad is doing homework and we’re waiting for decals.

What helmet design are you going for on your driver?
    I don’t know if he’ll get painted yet :) I’m not an arty kind of guy.

Harry_the_Spider

Eddie Cheever’s was quite cool. I may have a go at this.

null

weeksy

2020-04-15_11-57-40 by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

2020-04-15_11-57-35 by Steve Weeks[/url], on Flickr

clubby

Harry_the_Spider
    Subscriber

I’m just going to say that the car was £65… and not mention the radio, batteries, bearings, speed controller, fast charger, spare batteries and so on.

I’m looking at a spend of about £180. For a toy. Hmmm.

However. Savings on Diesel in the last 5 weeks are now somewhere north of £200

It’s not a toy, it’s an exercise in mindfulness to de-stress over the current situation.
    Is what I’m telling my wife when I get home from work and a big box is waiting for me.

RustySpanner

In all seriousness, building these things keeps me sane……playing with them makes me happy.

Off today, will be taking the Lunchbox for a walk in the park.

They can’t touch you for it.

diz
    Free Member

Harry_the_Spider
    “And finally. Can you run these things on a beach without knackering them? Not thinking of dunes, but the damp compacted sand that you get at low tide. I fancy a trip to Southport when I’m allowed out”.

We used to run the 1/10 Tamiya buggies and trucks at Ainsdale in both the soft dunes and the damp compacted sand. The 4WD buggies where better and faster because they could gain more traction but recently (prior to lock down) i ran the HPI 5B there which was excellent fun, however I did need to spend a few hours cleaning it afterwards and didn’t make many friends at the time as its not very quiet. When you are allowed give me a shout and I will bring a couple of cars.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

WRT beach running I would;
    – Decent 2RS bearings all round.
    – Use a waterproof servo
    – Use a waterproof ESC
    – Make my receiver waterproof/resistant – small clip-it box & silicone(?)
    – Do everything I could to prevent water/sand entering the drivetrain – Silicone sealant as a gasket? But have a way to regularly check what is going on inside – I have seen fabricated clear pinion covers that allow you to inspect the pinion/spur interface.
    – Accept that the motor is a consumable
    – Rinse it immediately after using.

weeksy

oh, that escalated….

SOmeone was chatting on PB forum and pointed out one of these little things.

So that’s on it’s way :)

wysiwyg
    Free Member

What are we rating for paint stripping, Dettol or oven cleaner?

Fudd
    Free Member

weeksy
    Subscriber
    oh, that escalated….

SOmeone was chatting on PB forum and pointed out one of these little things.

So that’s on it’s way 🙂

Sorry!*

*Not sorry

weeksy

Sorry!*

*Not sorry

It’s all quality time with me son. I don’t want or need apologies :)

These little things look that much fun i can see the Grasshopper being shipped out and another little one replacing it. I’m hoping with the nostalgia factor and the fact it’s fully built and working, i’d get what i paid for it :)
    We’ll find out once this little thing arrives and see which he prefers.

I’m lucky that i don’t get an emotional attachment to the old cars like some, so wouldn’t really care if it stays or goes :)

jam-bo

I bought one of these recently for my boy. price has gone up another £10 since I bought it.

The USB charger was duff, and i’m still waiting for a replacement from the vendor, bought another and a spare battery to get me going.

but its awesome fun little car.

cb
    Free Member

I feel my wallet emptying…

stumpy01

This gets good reviews & looks to be a bargain for <£40.

https://uk.banggood.com/HS-4CH-4WD-High-Speed-Climber-Crawler-RC-Car-Toys-p-1256700.html?gmcCountry=GB&currency=GBP&createTmp=1&utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=cpc_bgcs&utm_content=lijing&utm_campaign=ssc-gbg-all-1223&ad_id=407616486909&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6KeX_9vs6AIVKYBQBh2slwiAEAQYASABEgJc8_D_BwE&ID=228&cur_warehouse=CN

I keep looking to get something for my daughter that is capable, but not stupid fast. It seems difficult though, as most of the reviews just immediately do speed tests and these things are like rockets….
    For £40 I am not gonna cry too much if she smashes this to bits.

At the moment, I let her do the steering on my Neo Fighter, while I do the throttle…we still hit every obstacle in the garden, but in a controlled manner! :)

johnw1984
    Free Member

I’ve got an Axial SCX10 ii kit being delivered tomorrow… I hate you all haha :)

Harry_the_Spider

My daughter “dobbed me in” to the wife about my intended purchase.

“Where are you going to put that?” was the first question. Luckily I have thought this through and have space in a big plastic storage box that a Revell Victor K2 has recently vacated. In a move of tactical genius I kept the empty box in the under stairs cupboard as a place marker for future stupid purchases.

The price is a closely guarded secret at the moment. My only comment being that it will cost less than the diesel that I’ve not burnt in the last 5 weeks. She doesn’t know that I would have got through 160 litres though!

I’ve also surveyed the garden and have worked out where I can put various ramps for performing “Sweet Jumps™” over walls, steps and flower beds.

weeksy

Sounds ace mate, we’ve been doing the same, lots of jumps and crazy stuff. !

timmys

I’m hoping with the nostalgia factor and the fact it’s fully built and working, i’d get what i paid for it

People buy Tamiya because they want to build them, so I doubt that will be the case!

clubby

He’s right. eBay is full of the forgotten hopes and dreams of middle aged selling on cars they built and then ran for less than a week.

I’m under no illusion that mine will be much different, but it’s cheaper than the old hot hatches I always end up searching for after watching episodes of Wheeler Dealers!

Wife got a surprise last night when I told her that no it wasn’t bike parts in the box. Then I got “that” look when I told what was :)
    Only got around to opening it this morning and OMG, that really is a lot of bits. With a 13 month old to look after on my days off, they’ll have a vaccine for corona virus before this thing’s finished.

meesterbond

At least in part due to this thread we’ve now got one of these winging its way to us…

Plasma Edge 2

The controller, servo, battery, charger and a selection of proper bearings arrived this morning.

Should be a lot of fun to build with Junior.

simon_g

I have this painting to do – any tips? The cockpit part is white plastic. Do I try to mask off the guy’s arms and t-shirt when I spray the flat black, or just do it all black and go over with the lighter colours?

matt_outandabout

The lads broke youngest_oab’s FTX surge a couple of days ago.

So he now has one of these in its way – we aim to reuse the FTX controller and servo. New battery ordered.

null

RustySpanner

Just back from the park with the Lunchbox.

Our council are ace, two huge, empty RC tracks.
    One with 18 sections and one with 9. Sand obstacles, jumpy bits, benches for a nice sit down, all mowed to perfection.
    I’m not tall enough to use the ball cleaners though.

weeksy

Is it cider o’clock???

matt_outandabout

@stumpy
    I would say spend a couple of quid more on something like an FTX or second hand tamiya – they do sell spare parts for them. So a duffed up suspension part or stripped cog is a couple of quid and away you go again…

Harry_the_Spider

@simon. I’d mask it.

exile_smoggy

This thread is making me very nostalgic, used to race 1/10th scale r/c buggies twice a week as a kid in Darlo. Got my first paper round to fund it and eventually had a Saturday job in the local model shop (spent more than I ever earned). In the run up to Christmas we’d sell loads, a surprisingly high number of people wanted them pre-built so me and the owner could easily get 3 or 4 built in a day.

I started off with a second hand Tamiya Sand Scorcher
    Went 4WD with a Kyosho Optima that I converted from chain to belt drive
    Then an Optima Mid converted to LWB when they came out
    Ended up with Kyosho Lazer ZX (4WD) and Ultima Pro (2WD)

Spent a fortune on different motors for different tracks, cells, upgrades (shiny alloy, Ti and Carbon) , speed controllers and RC kit.

Little Miss Smoggy wanted a Monster Truck a few years ago, so we got two of Maverick Ion 1/18th (buggy for me, truck for her). They’re a good laugh although the transmitter failed in one of them and I think the only option is to replace transmitter and receiver/speed controller as they were updated. Almost as much as buying a new one for £80.

Viewing 40 posts - 561 through 600 (of 2,571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.