• This topic has 2,564 replies, 264 voices, and was last updated 1 week ago by Merak.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,565 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • spacemonkey

Opted for a second hand Traxxas Summit 1/16 nearly 2yrs ago. Excellent condition and included a few upgrades. £200.

Flat out it does IRO 40mph. Plenty fast enough with good ground clearance, rugged chassis and sharp handling.

In training mode it does less than half that and can be handled by monkey jnr.

Upgraded the servo a while back and plan on turning it into more of a rock crawler (change gear ratios and motor etc).

A lot of fun. Charger has since died so looking for one of those and some new batteries.

mrblobby
    Free Member

vintagewino, tempted to put the time in to refurb it, though some of the newer stuff looks great too. No idea where the transmitter’s gone either.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I bought all new electronics for mine, all that had stopped working. I find the new electronic speed controllers a bit dull compared to the old mechanical ones which didn’t mid you slamming from full forward to full reverse in the turns.

davosaurusrex

Got my new bits, it’s all a bit battered but back together now. Really should sort out the overspray but might get a new shell and do a variation on the same theme. Wing on the current one is pretty torn now. It is OK to have a runner shell and a display shell isn’t it….?

cchris2lou

Yep it is a Terra Scorcher.

Keep meaning to stick it on ebay.

joebristol

I’d be tempted with one of these for messing about with. Bound to be fairly over powered and rear wheel drive.

http://www.hpiracing.co.uk/piw.php?partNo=105866

stumpy01

davosaurusrex – are those blue springs the stiffer Tamiya options?

Did they make much difference?

davosaurusrex

They are yeah and they do help. Got all the preload spacers on there too. Think I paid about £7 posted from Japan rather than double that over here, I’m never in a rush for parts for it

stumpyjon

Mr Spanner is a bad man, I went into Rossmod today on the back ofvthis yhread, to price up a Hornet (my brother had one back in the 80s and I didn’t, I’ve still not forgiven my parents). Now tempted by a bigwig, very nice chap in the shop was very helpful, could probably source more cheaply from the web but I’m more confident I’ll come away with exactly what I need.

On an unrelated note the Lego Saturn V is available to order again, Christmas is looking good (Millenium Falcon doesn’t look like it’ll be on the shelves again until well into 2018).

RustySpanner

Did he mention they’re willing to price match?
    🙂

I’m popping down Friday to get some paints and possibly a spare body shell for the car I don’t have yet.

Thanks for all the responses folks.

44 days to go.
    😀

Northwind

God damn these threads. Now my ebay watch list is full of barely-used RC cars bought by fellow middle aged losers trying to recreate their childhoods.

Out of curiousity, I see a lot of well featured looking cars on gearbest and the like, but the question’s always about reliability and parts- I can replace motors and I have a lipo charger and suchlike but are they really servicable? People say they take universal parts, but I don’t know if that’s really a thing

vongassit
    Free Member

Aannndddd I caved , spanky new frog hoping my way. Excitement & embarrassment in equal measures 😛 😳

stumpyjon

I told the guy in Rossmods about here, I described it as a mumsnet for middle aged blokes who occasionally ride mountain bikes. He said there were similar football forums!

davosaurusrex

Northwind – only really know about the Tamiya Dt-03 but all the electronics and suspension components as well as the motor and battery can be replaced with aftermarket alternatives. Not saying they are any cheaper but often better quality

househusband

Now my ebay watch list is full of barely-used RC cars bought by fellow middle aged losers trying to recreate their childhoods.

And now you want to join us, yes..? 😉

richmars

Just been up in the loft, and I know how much you like stuff like this, so I took a photo of my old car:
    [/url]IMG_0073 by Richard Marsden, on Flickr[/img]

Bought summer 1983, not used for a few years, and needs a bit of attention.

Tiger6791

Wow thats old! That looks like the Racing Buggy that predated the Grasshopper

Even has the ceramic resistor still 😀

7.2V with a hump ‘cos it was designed for a 6V battery 😀

Crystals in the Acoms for channel (remember split crystals so you could race more than 6?)

(and no lights on the roof ‘cos they snapped off the first time you drove it and rolled it)

richmars

(and no lights on the roof ‘cos they snapped off the first time you drove it and rolled it)

Yes, I’d forgotten that!
    And the roof is stuck to the drivers helmet as the front supports also snapped off.

stumpy01

richmars…..you’re a legend! Amazing car! 😯
    😉

RustySpanner

Right, it’s make your mind up time.
    🙂

Definitely going for the TT-02b, but have a choice of bodyshells;

Neo Scorcher…

Dual Ridge…

Plasma Edge II…

Hmmm.
    Neo Scorcher (clean, simple) and Plasma Edge (bit more old school, love the yellow wheels) are winning at the mo.

What do you lot reckon?
    Plasma Edge with a spare Neo Scorcher body?

Will be getting a ball bearing kit for the build and looking at a colour scheme similar to stumpy’s beautiful Frog from the previous page.

Not long to go now……

davosaurusrex

Plasma Edge. Dual Ridge is minging and Neo Scorcher looks like it has had the nose cut off.

Plasma needs a far less fussy paintjob than that one though

Kuco

I had a Frog, wanted a BigWig, ultimately wanted a tank!

Bigwig

beamers

@ richmars- I had the exact same set up as that! The re-released version that I bought a couple of years back to relive my childhood (obvs) is quite a bit better.

Battery lasts for a good half an hour for starters.

stumpy01

Plasma Edge.
    Neo Scorcher.
    Erm….not the Dual Ridge
    In that order.

Definitely get the bearing kit….

richmars

@beamers,
    I’ve not googled ‘Rough Rider spares’ to save money, but I will have to soon. I updated the speed controller a few years ago which made a huge improvement.

jugheaddave
    Free Member

I have a traxxas rustler. I have done various mods and hopups. Its tough as nails. I clocked it at 43mph the other day!! Great fum, and relatively cheap for parts.

Kato

Oooh I have an old Yokomo MR4-TC kicking around somewhere. I might have to dig it out

dannybgoode

They’ve re-released the bigwig. That’s the one I wanted also but could never afford it.

I had to make do with the Thunder Shot. Pretty good car iirc. Had loads of fun with it.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I was a Kyosho fan (although had a Tamiya Fox for a bit). Optima, upgraded with belt drive, then a Turbo Optima Mid and a Lazer ZX. The Lazer was undoubtedly the fastest but actually a bit dull. The Mid was ace – geared for 4 minute races (crash and you lose, battery life was 4:20…) on an indoor track it was blindingly fast 🙂

Harry_the_Spider

Deals from Jadlam.

Ready to Run TAMIYA RC Cars ALL £149.95!!!Get yours before they sell out…. See all RC Black Friday Week offers here: https://tinyurl.com/ydfw792p

Posted by Jadlam Racing Models on Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Northwind

Inexplicably euro car parts have rising fighters and grasshoppers for £70 (kit only, no ESC, battery etc)

And I may have a mad bull in my shopping cart at timetunnel, but I’m wobbling… I can deal with £78 for the car, and I have a lipo charger and some batteries that’ll fit but the cost of controllers and ESCs seems brutal, is there a good bargain/entry level option?

mikey-simmo
    Free Member

My eBay watch list is currently full of used plastic cars and my kitchen has a non runner on the side. I hold all of you responsible for this.

stumpy01

Northwind, my nephew has a Maverick stadium truck and the receiver failed.

I bought a transmitter/receiver from Amazon for about £26.

It feels pretty cheap, but has decent specs and seems to be reliable.

Decent ESC Can be had for £15:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/45057-tamiya-tble-02s-brushed-brushless-esc

Controller for <£30:

http://www.fusionhobbies.com/product/cr277-core-rc-code-3-channel-2-4ghz-fhss-steerwheel-radio

drewd

I’ve got a hankering for a crawler or a short course truck. The Unimog kit looks cool, but non Tamiya RTR kits seem more capable and better value.

My bother and I used to have a Hornet and a Lunchbox that we bought from a guy down the road who used to race them, but they were the original 80’s ones. I’ve still got the broken bits in a wardrobe but think it would probably be cheaper to buy a new kit than rebuild these.

I’ve got a Mondeo kit based on the FF01 chassis and a Nissan GTR Nismo based on the TL01 chassis. They’re both battered but mostly working and I have nowhere to use them so really should move them on.

The videos of Lunchbox with brushless motors, LiPos and decent shocks are amusing too. This could end up being expensive!

Northwind

I just want some witnesses that I’m making an actual grown up decision and not buying that madbull. Go me! Thanks for the advice Stumpy!

wiggles
    Free Member

I sold all my RCS a while ago, last ones I had were a HPI Baja (1/5 2 stroke 27cc) which was great fun but just too big and noisy to have anywhere to use it. Then I bought a traxxas rustler and spent a ton of money on bits and had it doing 55mph+ but was stupid and undriveable (would spin the wheels in the tyres at full throttle…)

Just bought my boys a Ripmax husky and jackal for Christmas as their first RC cars so on the look out for something for myself which obviously has to be faster than theirs.

RustySpanner

Ordered the Plasma Edge 2 (yellow wheels!) from Rossmod today, a Christmas prezzie from my wonderful wife.

She fancies one too, so that’s her birthday in March sorted.
    🙂

Just paid for the kit ATM, will be picking up a couple of batteries and the radio gear next week.
    And probably a Neo Scorcher body.
    And some bearings.
    And paint.

There’s a club in Bury that has an all weather track and has a racing class for this type of buggy, only £10 a year membership , sounds like a goer.

Have reorganised the garden into a bit of a circuit and have a big park a couple of minutes away, can’t wait.

Not been this excited about a Christmas prezzie since the Atari 2600 when I was 10.
    😀

Anything else I need?
    Wheel type controller or sticks?

And can anyone recommend a decent forum?
    MSUK seems friendly enough so might join that one.
    I notice one of the contributors to this thread is a member.
    🙂

Cheers for all the advice and responses so far, have a feeling this is going to be fun.

And more pictures please, might help me decide on a paint scheme.

Mike_D
    Free Member

I was always a sticks fan in the 80s, but wheels were gaining ground and seem to be ubiquitous now.

stumpy01

Sounds good. There are no tracks or clubs near me, which is a bit rubbish.

Colour scheme was a tricky thing for me! I went round and round in circles! With the fluo wheels, I would be tempted to go for black and white.

Stick or wheel controller….6 of one, half a dozen of the other. I went for stick but only because it was part of the fast charge deal I bought. I think I do prefer sticks to a wheel, but only because i’m more used to them…

wiggles
    Free Member

MSUK is a decent forum some very knowledgeable chaps but as with anything RC related it has a significantly higher proportion of stupid 12 year olds than STW.

I recently managed to do a bit of a deal with someone I know who was getting out of RC for some of his cars for a bike I had and sold a few lights etc im not using as wanted to get something to use with the kids and just keep me busy. Worked out great for me as (many of you already know) I dont really have cash to spend but still have too many bikes (off to classifieds I go to sell another)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 2,565 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.