Home Forums Chat Forum Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,571 total)
  • Tamiya and other R/C vehicles (not just for Christmas)
  • wysiwyg
    Free Member

It’s built. I don’t know whether to strip the previous paint, it’s yellow, before selling.
    All original components. Gotta be £500 I’d guess

RustySpanner

Harry_the_Spider

Subscriber

Oh go on… what bundle for under £200 as I’m saving close to that a month on not buying diesel?

I want one that I can build rather than out of the box.

In all honesty, I’m having much more fun with the Lunchbox than with the buggy or the crawler.
    I got a faster motor, some nicer shocks and a set of bearings.

It’s ace.

No hassle to build because it’s so simple and in objective terms it handles like a ruptured ferret, but it’s so much fun to play with.
    It has personality. Everyone wants a go and the grandkids are crazy about it.

The blocky body lends itself to painting and the stickers are easy to apply.

Good on long grass, fun on tarmac and just a nice thing to build and own.

£90 for the kit, £25ish each for a controller, Tamiya Speed Tuned motor, posh shocks and less for the bearings.

High capacity batteries are a bit more but last for ages.

sbtouring
    Free Member

Just found a few boxes of stuff.
    My manta ray:
    null
    Very dirty and in need of good clean and probably a new body shell.

And a few Rough Rider parts:
    null

Also found a grasshopper chassis (I think)

Got another rough rider somewhere, its not complete, definitely hasn’t got a body shell and possibly a few other bits missing.

Also missing is a slightly battered Midnight Pumpkin, again without a body shell.

I got them all 2nd hand in rough conditions, plus I wasn’t very careful with them when I was a kid, so all have had lots if damage and in various states of repair.

Currently trying to sort through all parts and get them organized to see what I have and what I need. Then decide got to what to do with them. Possibly sell once lockdown is over?

sbtouring
    Free Member

Well pictures didn’t work! Don’t know what I did wrong!!

diz
    Free Member

Sbtouring, if you need parts for your manta Ray give me a shout I’ve got quite a lot of spares that will fit from when I raced a top force.

sbtouring
    Free Member

diz, thanks for the offer. I will keep that in mind 👍

wishiwascalledsteve

After a while of convincing myself I don’t need a car, just bought myself a FTX carnage truggy and my daughter a FTX surge truggy… Both brushed motors.
    Hopefully get them in next couple of days, but already looking at upgrades.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

In other “weakness news”, I have just pre-ordered a Tamiya Terra Scorcher rerelease. Cannae wait…

I’m going to use the Tamiya TBLE 02 ESC. Can anyone recommend an upgraded motor that will work with this, but not detonate the drivetrain on the Terra Scorcher? I have a Sport Tuned, but wondered if there was something else I should try. I’m using 6pack NiMH batteries.

Harry_the_Spider

I’m really hankering after a Tamiya Grasshopper because it is the one that I wanted when I was 12 years old.

barney
    Free Member

Trout, the TS drivetrain is pretty good. If you want something faster, I’d personally go with a 13.5t speed passion brushless from eg Modelsport. The TBLE02 is a better brushless than a brushed ESC – even if it’s non adjustable. But because of the torque that brushless motors generate, you really need to swop out the alloy pinion for a steel one :-)

mrl

Lots of nice cars on here, looking at new car. I have an ecx ruckus 1/18th but would like a 1/10. Want something that can deal with grass and decent offroad.Like the look of ftx outlaw or carnage, other options are ecx amp monster truck or the maverick Strada monster truck. How do they all compare for build/reliability/spares? My reading suggest either the ftx or maverick are better, but can anyone confirm? All have brushed models around 130 and brush less at 200, have not decided which yet!

Would love a kit but it seems most are tamiya. While i always wanted one as a kid the nostalgia thing is not high on the list. Thanks

clubby

Oh crap, been half-cut browsing again.
    I see Tamiya are doing a green Frog, so that gets over my painting phobia, but so does the grey Plasma Edge.
    As far as Tamiya go, are all 2wd pretty much the same apart from the body? Likewise the 4wds.
    What give a more satisfying build?

Nostalgia playing a big role for me. Local newsagent/toy shop did them when I was young but was never able to afford one.
    In all honesty I’d likely build one, run it for a short while and get bored. The build process and tinkering is part of the attraction. Do I go for a cheaper kit and enjoy it for what it is or is a more expensive kit a “better” build experience.
    Do the 4wd drive better of just different?

johnnystorm

Had a play with a 1/10 Axial Deadbolt a few months back and enjoyed crawling. In the current circumstances I’ve decided to dip my toe into the water with an Axial SCX24 Deadbolt. I’ll use my one exercise session a day to go and collect some fallen branches to build a course. Fingers crossed it arrives tomorrow.

Harry_the_Spider

@clubby. Me too!

Harry_the_Spider

Got a Grasshopper bundle with extra batteries and bearings in my basket. Umming and Ahhing whether to press PURCHASE.

RustySpanner

Why the hell not??? 🙂

Just for a bit of inspiration, have a look at the AMPRO channel.

RustySpanner

The build process and tinkering is part of the attraction. Do I go for a cheaper kit and enjoy it for what it is or is a more expensive kit a “better” build experience.

I found the build of the Lunchbox a bit too easy after the Plasma Edge.

I should have done the Lunchbox first, it only takes a couple of hours to finish the chassis.

The TT02 chassis on the Plasma Edge was a more satisfying build, tbh.

In terms of playability and upgrade value, the Lunchbox wins every time. It’s fine in longer grass and is much faster with the sport tuned motor. I don’t run the buggy that much anymore.

v8ninety

I’m currently supervising my 8yo lad and 9yo lass in the construction of their lunchbox and midnight pumpkin kits as a ‘design and technology’ home school lesson 😎👍🏼

They’re loving it ☺️

Merak

Fin.

titusrider
    Free Member

👌 merak that is quality, I hope it gets run until it’s cracked and dusty and looks like a proper rally car! 😂

(Although I wouldn’t blame u to not!)

stumpy01

That Audi is very nice!

Do you actually drive those cars? With those body shells?

I work with a guy who builds some of the retro Tamiya models & just puts them on the shelf…

I was gutted when my nephew rolled my Neo Fighter & chipped a load of paint off the wing & that’s just a white/pink striped scheme!

Merak

Nah, I’m way too uptight to use them! I build the shells up and sell them for people to crack and scuff far from my OCD eyes!

I’ve got a batshit mental RWD lipo brushless truggy for kicks. It’s covered in Heli tape though.😂

johnw1984
    Free Member

OK, I’m crumbling here and I want to buy a kit to build and upgrade!

I’ve had a few kits in the past (including a few Tamyiya TT01/TL01 stuff). Looking at some sort of rally car or something similar to those. I enjoy the building and painting aspect as much as the using it :)

I’d want to go lipo right off the bat and spec a decent value motor and esc, but I need to research that stuff as it’s been a while.

Any recommendations on good value kits? Might be better if I can source the electronics separately.

Nick

Wrong wheels, and very bashed up, must be 25 years old now and still works.

Untitled by nickgilling[/url], on Flickr

beamers

Way back in the day I had a Rough Rider.

When I saw the re-released Buggy Champ I had a moment of weakness and bought one.

Much better quality build than the original but still very hard to drive being heavy and rear wheel drive. Great fun!

Buggy Champ Getting Air

tagnut69
    Free Member

Here are some of mine, the mini is a M03, the Jimny a MF01X and the buggy an RC10 B2, got a box of broken mad bulls in the shed that will be getting looked at soon. TAMIYA CAR

jonzi
    Free Member

My parents denied me a Tamiya RC car when I was younger, so now I am 42, I thought I would buy my own, got the Grasshopper. Loving it, but already want to get another.

What 4wd Tamiya buggy would you good people recommend? will drive on grass and stoney carparks mostly.

I like the look of the Avante, but I dont like the look of the Avante price.

barney
    Free Member

If you want to go retro, the re-released Terra Scorcher is a fine piece of kit, and arguably the pinnacle of that particular era (it had UJs, ball raced throughout, turnbuckles etc). The Hotshot is still widely admired, but it suffers from a number of flaws – bump steer being chief among them, as well as interesting suspension performance.

The Avante is utterly *glorious*, but for general bashing it’s far from ideal. It is and always was ludicrously over engineered. Things will break, and they’ll cost a packet to fix! The TT02b chassis is modern(ish), cheap, robust and spares are readily available: I’d be tempted to get one of those and a bearing kit personally :-)

https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58568neo_scorcher/index.htm

RustySpanner

The TT02B struggles on anything other than shortish grass tbh.

And the steering on mine is very sloppy, despite it being set up regularly.
    I’m resigned to buying some hop ups to make it better.

househusband

And so it begins… about time seeing as I’ve had it since Deecember 2018.

brakes
    Free Member

My parents denied me a Tamiya RC car when I was younger, so now I am 42

snap! I bought a couple of mini crawlers to play with whilst on lockdown with the kids, but already got my eyes on something bigger for when we’re released…
    not too bothered about building kits at the moment but do enjoy fixing them – the driveshafts on these are cheese so I’ve ordered some new metal ones and fixed these ones to get them back on the road.

Cars

Broken UJ

Drilled through UJ cross journal and inserted a section of nail

had to do that 6 times!

wishiwascalledsteve

The FTX Surge arrived for my daughter and its plenty fast enough for her, she’s only 5, but she’s struggling with the size and weight of the controller/transmitter.

Can anybody recommend a smaller and lighter 2.4ghz controller/transmitter for her.

Thanks

weeksy

Can I get into this for say £150 for a all in set for my lad for messing about in the close/garden? Something nippy, fun but sturdy I guess?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

I have an FTX Outlaw brushed and is great fun Reasonably fast but will do a bit of crawling as well, it has a settable ESC for 2 different modes plus it can be set for a 2s lipo battery. Get a 5000mah battery as well and it should come in within your budget. Reasonably cheap to convert to brushless as well. Incredible how much engineering you get for reasonable cash these days

weeksy

I have an FTX Outlaw brushed and is great fun Reasonably fast but will do a bit of crawling as well, it has a settable ESC for 2 different modes plus it can be set for a 2s lipo battery. Get a 5000mah battery as well and it should come in within your budget. Reasonably cheap to convert to brushless as well. Incredible how much engineering you get for reasonable cash these days

And in English?

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

Sorry weeksy, it’s just a very good fun package for the price. Once you get it all the detail will fall into place as you WILL become addicted!
    A large capacity battery is a good idea but you may need to budget later for a good charger.

wishiwascalledsteve

Impressed with the FTX cars for the money.
    The Surge 1/12 is around £80 or for £100ish there’s the carnage/bugsta/vantage offroaders or the outlaw which I think is a bit more crawler like.

Got the surge for my daughter and carnage for me, plan to upgrade as and when things break or limit the fun

weeksy

Got a link to what I need then please. As you may have guessed I’m very new to this as it’s just randomly I opened the thread

wishiwascalledsteve

https://ftx-rc.com/index.php?_route_=rc-kits

Comes with all you need, apart from AA batteries for the transmitter/controller

Viewing 40 posts - 441 through 480 (of 2,571 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.