Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)
  • Chlorinated Chicken – what's the big deal ?
  • jambalaya
    Free Member

Firstly I am bound to have eaten this either in US restaurants or purchased at supermarket and cooked when living there. I have also eaten plenty of US beef, hormones, anti-biotics and all. Would I generally chose to buy premium / organic meat, yes and so would probably not purchase any other than via restaurants / fast food outlets. I do love a KFC 🙂

Chlorine is is of course in many things, swimming pools to baby’s sterilising tablets (which I use to clean omy camel back bladder for example). Concentration levels of course vary (lower than those above) and anything to do with food has a sensitivity.

The EU says its safe to eat Chlorinated chicken (linked report says no chlorine was detectable in cooked samples and says it’s therefore safe). The issue seems to be about it’s use causing laziness and lack of hygiene earlier in the slaughter / preparation process on the basis the chlorine wash will kill it.

Concentrations used are pretty small

We are taught to wash chicken before cooking anyway

European levels of Salmonella are 50% higher than in the US – so chlorine washing works ?

I’m not aware of any particular negative health issues in the US as a result, happy to see anything to the contrary.

Consumers would be able to decide whether to buy US sourced and thus chlorine washed chicken as it can be appropriately labelled.

So what’s the fuss all about ?

European Food Safety Report

http://www.efsa.europa.eu/sites/default/files/scientific_output/files/main_documents/297.pdf

Drac

European Food Safety Report

🙄

European levels of Salmonella are 50% higher than in the US – so chlorine washing works ?

Other reports suggest that the US has 4 -5 times higher cases of Salmonella.

ratherbeintobago

I thought we weren’t meant to wash it before cooking?

tails
    Free Member

I imagine it will have even less flavour than the crap we are already supplied with. Doesn’t chlorine kill anything it touches if the levels are high enough?

Jamie
    Free Member

Chlorine is for swimming pools, not chicken.

I could Google a coherent argument, but what’s the point.

cranberry
    Free Member

But it’s foreign, innit, and that can’t be good.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Fail.

zilog6128

lol what? Might want to double check that!

nealglover
    Free Member

You need a new teacher.

Jamie
    Free Member

I’ve now got this mental image of Jamba sitting in the bath washing his chicken.

anagallis_arvensis

In chlorine?

nealglover
    Free Member

I’ve now got this mental image of Jamba sitting in the bath washing his chicken.

Please don’t make a gif 😯

vinnyeh

lol at Jambers trolling like a D grade Taylforth.

simondbarnes

They mostly don’t use chlorine these days, they use other stuff according to a chap on the wireless earlier

molgrips
    Free Member

So what’s the fuss all about ?

Tip of the iceberg innit.

US mass food production makes battery chicken farming look like Centerparcs. Thousands of cows stood shoulder to shoulder in a giant shed, never seeing grass. Not only is the meat less nutritious (Omega 3) but the use of insulin-like growth factor is potentially bad for humans, and the antibioics they use to make them grow bigger are a driver for antibiotic resistance. To think that we may re-introduce deadly but once-curable diseases just so that Americans can have slightly cheaper beef is pretty bloody desperate.

It’s a lowering of standards, and it’s depressing as hell.

GrahamS

Ah the delicious irony of Jamba using a EU safety report to try to support a the quality American chlorox chicken we can look forward to when we leave the EU market.

angeldust
    Free Member

If they ever want to name this forum, you just nailed it.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Everything Jamba wrote.

WTF?

scaredypants

I bloody love chlorination chicken

Will I die ? 🙁

funkmasterp

I always do my chicken on a quick wash (no spin) before frying in Milton.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Needs Jennifer Aniston doing a “Here Comes The Science Bit”. Bless.

spooky_b329

Have we done the eggs?

UK approach;
    Not allowed to wash Class A eggs as making the shells wet can allow bacteria through the membrane and into the egg
    The no wash rule also encourages clean cages/bedding
    Shops do not refrigerate eggs, as condensation can form after purchase, making the egg wet and allowing bacteria in.

US approach;
    Wash the dirty eggs in hot soapy water, (stripping away the protective membrane)
    Spray the eggs in oil to try and create an artificial barrier to bacteria.
    Refrigerate the eggs on sale (and at home) to keep bacteria levels down

The end result is the same, but the US (and Japs, Aussie’s and Scandinavians) have a lot more work to do!

(but apparently the US don’t vaccinate their eggs against salmonella, so there is an upside to all that refrigeration…)

wilburt
    Free Member

I would encourage anyone who hasnt to visit a quality butcher and can some actual chicken not supermarket mush. Its a different product altogether quite nice to eat now and then.

codybrennan
    Free Member

zippykona

When we were in New York I had the most delicious strawberries we have ever eaten. So delicious I got to wondering what have they done to them.
    They might have been untouched but I am still deeply suspicious.

Cougar

European levels of Salmonella are 50% higher than in the US

I should fact check that (because y’know, at least one of us should) but I really can’t be bothered. So instead I’ll ask you:

How do either of those levels compare with UK levels of salmonella?

(but apparently the US don’t vaccinate their eggs against salmonella, so there is an upside to all that refrigeration…)

That’s not a ‘but,’ that’s the reason. UK hens (not eggs) are vaccinated so there’s no reason to wash eggs and indeed good reason not to; US hens are not vaccinated which is why washing and refrigeration is required. In the UK the biggest salmonella risk to eggs comes from internally, in the UK it’s externally.

Which is why I asked the previous question. I know little (ok, nothing) about eggs in the EU, but given that the UK vaccinates its hens the notion that salmonella levels in this country are higher than in the US flies in the face of logic.

Cougar

If they ever want to name this forum, you just nailed it.[/quote]

Nah. More like, “I could Google a coherent argument… and here it is!”

shermer75
    Free Member

The good news is that swimming pools can now be treated with chicken

Jamie
    Free Member

Nah. More like, “I could Google a coherent argument… and here it is!”

With no accreditation!

craigxxl
    Free Member

I thought that nearly all the fresh chicken sold in the UK was produced here. The frozen and reformed chicken mainy from South America and Asia. The frozen chicken has had a few scandals from the current Brazil one with rotten meat being put into the food supply and the Dutch tumbling were they would put other meat proteins from beef and pork waste into water so the chicken meat would hold the water in order to bulk it up before they froze it again. I think the later is still allowed under EU law but they have to publish the water content now with levels around 15% apposed to 55% 😯
    This all makes the US Chlorine story a non event as I would imagine the food chain would go unchanged.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not had chicken in curried mayonnaise and sultanas in ages!

Oh, hold on, this really wasn’t bad predictive text? Chicken in chlorine? 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

I bloody love chlorination chicken

🙂

Well so far I don’t really see why not to eat it ? For me there are far more important animal husbandry and care issues than washing the chicken in a chlorine solution.

As I said I was always told to rinse off chicken, the NHS link speaks of the risk of spashing water everywhere which you don’t do unless you are a numpty, no ? I mean I rinse it under the tap not jet wash the damn bird.

EFSA European Food Safety Authority. Given the EU is the one to have banned it quoting their research seemed reasonable @Drac

jambalaya
    Free Member

Anyway, its a genuine question. I am strugglong to see what the problem is really. Not for me and I would chose to pay more for an organic / accredited chicken but I don’t see why consumers could not be given the choice. Cheap chickens are so fat laden as well as the water soaking issues me tioned above I think the chlorine wash is a sideshow.

Drac

EFSA European Food Safety Authority. Given the EU is the one to have banned it quoting their research seemed reasonable @Drac

You don’t see the irony do you?

Anyway, its a genuine question. I am strugglong to see what the problem is really

The problem is you don’t see there’s evidence to say there are risks from eating it, one of them being the EU who suggest the risks hence the ban,

gordimhor

OK Donald I’ll eat yer chlorinated chicken if you’ll chlorinate Boris Johnson

GrahamS

I would chose to pay more for an organic / accredited chicken but I don’t see why consumers could not be given the choice

That’s not giving people choice, that’s making poor people eat stuff that you admit you wouldn’t eat yourself.

slowoldman

As I said I was always told to rinse off chicken,

Old advice. Those experts are always changing their minds.

That’s a euphemism right?

wilburt
    Free Member

I thinking jambawatsit may be a plant for the Russians or the Americans or someone. This has definitely got the wiff of a conspiracy.
    I suggest we just eat stuff from decent local farms until it all comes out in the non chlorinated wash.

GrahamS

As I said I was always told to rinse off chicken, the NHS link speaks of the risk of spashing water everywhere which you don’t do unless you are a numpty, no ? I mean I rinse it under the tap not jet wash the damn bird.

The Food Standards Agency also advise against washing chicken.

Just a few bacteria can spread Campylobacter, so no they are not talking about “splashing water everywhere” they are talking about a stray droplet, which is pretty much bound to happen no matter how careful you are.

They even did terrible Public Information film:

[video]https://youtu.be/KsX1GWA3eFw[/video]

(which admittedly does give the impression the guy is splashing water about like a numpty)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 139 total)

The topic ‘Chlorinated Chicken – what's the big deal ?’ is closed to new replies.