Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • China threatens HK protestors
  • frankconway

Only one winner in this now that Xi has spoken.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-50035229

kerley
    Free Member

It’s okay, the UK will be along soon to back up the Hong Kong people seeing that China are breaking the terms of the agreement made with UK input.

Or they will completely ignore that and try and get some good trade deals with China…

MoreCashThanDash

Sadly for Hong Kong, this was only ever going to end one way, it was only a matter of when – 10, 20, 30 years.

Our options against China are limited, another unintended consequence of 200 years of rubbish policy

Trimix
    Free Member

No government will mess with China. Sadly its actually difficult for any government to step in and mess with anothers internal problems. All they can do is voice concerns and we know how pointless that will be.

The only solution is for the protesters to continue to be seen and heard globaly. But I find it difficult to see how China will back down as that will in their eyes seem like they have lost authority, lost face, bowed to unlawfull protest. This is against character, they will not want other home protests to see this and think they can attempt the same.

China will play the long game, pressure businesses who in turn will pressure employees who in turn will have to give up protesting.

chewkw
    Free Member

What the protestors can do now is to “threaten” China, get blacklisted by Chinese govt, then take that as an opportunity to seek asylum in Australia. 😄

There in Australia they can grow their family and to have bigger family to compete with China’s population. i.e. they can create an alternative China.

Australia because the place is closer and the land is huge. 😃

somafunk

^

i assume you meant bigley huge?

dissonance

they can create an alternative China.

Isnt there already an alternate China a bit closer albeit a lot smaller.

nealglover
    Free Member

Can someone reboot chewy please. 🙄

chewkw
    Free Member

Isnt there already an alternate China a bit closer albeit a lot smaller.

You mean Taiwan? That is peanut.

i assume you meant bigley huge?

😄 yes, huge land … vast empty space … bigley.

I mean how silly those protestors look by waving American & British flags. 🤔

If I were HK protestors I would start collecting evidence of my “brutality” by the “Chinese govt” by taking photos of my protests etc … then use that as evidence to seek asylum.

Then fly to the easiest western country to seek asylum … i.e. NZ, OZland, Canada, Scandinavian countries or some EU countries that is soft with good infrastructure … UK is fine so long as they are not sent back 😀

jimdubleyou

Asylum seekers ending up in Oz get sent to some island in the Indian Ocean to rot. Not sure that’s a great life plan tbh.

chewkw
    Free Member

Asylum seekers ending up in Oz get sent to some island in the Indian Ocean to rot. Not sure that’s a great life plan tbh.

That depends. As majority of HK protestors are young with “good” Uni education. Can easily “meet” the Ozland point system.

Trimix
    Free Member

Can you imagine for a momnet having to leave your own country because another wants to squash your way of life, your freedoms, you future ?

A lot of those protesters cant and wont leave.

chewkw
    Free Member

Can you imagine for a momnet having to leave your own country because another wants to squash your way of life, your freedoms, you future ?

A lot of those protesters cant and wont leave.

The only thing I dislike about China is they want to curb the local language. i.e. HK traditional way of writing (in the case of HK). I prefer the old style of writing.

Apart from that HK just has to obey because they are on their own. Either HK people find way out by migrating to other places or they just have to bite their time in history, maybe 200 years from now, to wait for another “dynasty” to appear. After all China has gone through so many dynasties and even the current Chinese system is just but another dynasty.

Nobody is going to help them but many will offer them asylum if they are able to escape, which they can …

They have to remember that descendent of Chinese people all over the world migrated out of China long time ago due to their dislike of the Chinese govt (Communist or Capitalist) in those days.

frankconway

I see our resident ‘expert’ on all things Far Eastern has joined the discussion – and we’re off track immediately.

chewkw
    Free Member

I see our resident ‘expert’ on all things Far Eastern has joined the discussion – and we’re off track immediately.

😁 back on topic …

Crush the protestors for beating up people who disagree with them.

marmaduked
    Free Member

I’m surprised by the lack of mention of it on here, but there’s been some fairly upsetting events in HK over the last few days. The violence appears to be in a constant downward spiral, provoked by both the police and the protesters.

What next? Surely it can’t escalate much further? Are recent events the excuse now needed for a Xi crackdown?

raybanwomble
    Free Member

What next? Surely it can’t escalate much further? Are recent events the excuse now needed for a Xi crackdown?

Of course it can escalate, are they gassing political dissidents yet? There is nothing any western power can do about it unless you are prepared to risk nukes getting lobbed around.

stewartc
    Free Member

As someone who is living through this I would say the equivalent experience would be the London riots a few years back. Basicaly a load of kids taking the opportunity to cause havoc and riot, that and attack any property or people who they decide isnt onboard with the message. This is my major bugbear with the whole current situation, I generaly feel sorry for the kids here, as HK has been building up issues over a long time.
    Theres a lot of big social issues that’s led to where we are but I’d say the recent events all started with an incompetent or belligerent administration who didnt listen to months of peaceful protest, a police force not used to dealing with mass protest going in with too much force and a lot of people taking advantage of this to start letting off some anti-Chinese steam.
    The genies out of the bottle as far as the violence goes and I dont expect it to get better, especially since the Americans have now effectively given the green light to the protestors to up the ante as the police now have their hands tied.
    We are now stuck between two parties who will not compromise their demands and no one brave enough on either side to make the first step to de-escalate it.
    The Chinese government to to be fair have shown amazing restraint but I suspect it’s more related to the current trade negotiations and as being married to a local, I would say the protestors are losing popular support for their actions with the older locals (they tend to not care about only their immediate family and not bother, or be bothered by others) but from the ages 30 and below have strong support.
    I expect once the trade deals are done the Americans will drop the kids just as quick as the Kurds or the Marsh Arabs and a few of the political opposition get out to a new comfortable life somewhere else living on this for their pay, leaving the foot soldiers behind to the Chinese, who are happy to wait to get their revenge in.
    It’s a sad state of affairs all round.

stewartc
    Free Member

We should also consider that most of those involved in the protests/rioting (have to be fair, some of it is just wanton vandalism or violence) were not born when the original handover agreement was created, and most of those who created it and implemented it are long dead.
    Imagine being born into a relatively free country country and then be told that in 20 years time you are going to be under the control of a totalitarian regime and the international communities fine with that as its written down in an agreement.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘China threatens HK protestors’ is closed to new replies.