Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Child seats and carrying shizzle (racks/bags etc)
  • scrumfled
    Free Member

So, I just fitted a hamax siesta and as i expected Using a rack/panniers with it is out of the question.

Aside from using backpacks, how do people haul stuff and carry kids?

benp1

What are you trying to haul, and for how long?

Not a huge number of options
    – rack extender, like a frame to help mount pannier bags further back
    – front rack
    – rucksack worn on your front
    – pannier hung off the back of the child seat
    – rucksack hung off the pannier off the back of the child seat

I’ve used the last three fairly regularly for local trips. Trailer is easier for load carrying.

I’m actually using (on a more frequent basis) a seat on my brompton and a brompton game bag, it makes carrying one of the kids and a few bits much easier than on a proper bike!

lardman
    Free Member

I used to hand my shopping off the back of my Hamax Siesta. Swayed around a bit, but manageable.

TiRed

lowrider front panniers on my tandem.

A porteur front rack would also work. For a quick cheap solution, I’d try fitting a rear rack on the front forks assuming you have mudguard eyes and a rack that can bolt to the front brake bridge.

Blackburn Lowriders were my solution with Ortlieb panniers

nerd
    Free Member

My toddler-carrier is an Inbred 29er with Surly Ogre forks.
    Blackburn rack and Co-pilot on the rear and tubus duo front low-rider rack with Carradice panniers up front.
    Works very well. The weight at the front helps to balance out (some) of the weight at the back.

thomthumb
    Free Member

pelago commuter rack on my commuter. with a cargo net and other bungees. need to get some kind of box/ bag.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Basil rack extender (here).

Lets me carry panniers on the back with a hamax seat fitted.

garage-dweller

We always used a rucksack but tried to keep the packing light. Normally I hate wide walking rucksacks with big side pockets on a bike but here they are your friend.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Child seats and carrying shizzle (racks/bags etc)’ is closed to new replies.