• This topic has 248 replies, 76 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by CHB.
Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)
  • child benefit
  • gonefishin
    Free Member

Well in my experience they generally take your word for the charity thing although I’m sure that they could investigate if they wanted to. As for the rest of the information your PAYE is on your P60 that your employer issues you every year and you should get a tax certificate from your savings accounts that show the relevant details. The process really isn’t onerous at all.

CHB

Worth noting how much of the tax collected by PAYE comes from a small number of individuals.
    On £50k a year you pay nearly 15k in tax!

Do you think that’s a lot or a little?

15k is a third of the salary, so I would say thats quite a lot.

Still think child benefit should be universal as its a real help to many families even on top 25% salaries. However I would support a small increase on income tax for those earning over say £75k to make the child benefit self funding.

Its in societies interests to have well brought up next generation. And for singletons bleating about paying for others rugrats to be raised then just ask “who paid for the CB your parents recieved?”

It should stay a universal benefit.

breatheeasy
    Free Member

So a couple who decides that the Mum stays at home to look after the her 4 kids, and the Dad does fall into those affected but only just goes onto have what equates to around a 9% cut to household income.

Maybe should consider that when they had the four kids…

Yet a couple that choose to both go to work and put childcare in the hands of others could earn up to £99k is hardly fair. Sure the only a few families are affected, but those that are it has the potential to hit them hard.

Yes, because they’ll not be paying out £800+ a month on childcare would they…

There are a few edge cases where people are going to be affected. I’m one of them, probably after next months potential payrise. I’ll live.

anagallis_arvensis

That’s where we disagree – they pay tax to pay for the benefits of others and receive a small tax rebate compared to significant tax paid in the form of a universal benefit. The universal benefit adds fairness to the taxation system.

not entirely sure I follow or are you not being serious?

jamj1974

Yes I am serious – it was one of the key foundation stones of the welfare state post-Second World War.

CHB

Yes I am serious – it was one of the key foundation stones of the welfare state post-Second World War.

Its not unreasonable for a taxpayer putting £15000 plus into the state coffers to expect some financial help tax wise when raising kids. Child benefit gives a little back to those who are raising the next generation.

grtdkad

This…

CHB – Member
    Cack handed policy is crap for working families.
    How can it be fair to give someone on 50-60k an effective tax rate of 65%?
    The Government say that the top 15% should pay more into the pot.
    I agree with this, however this policy only affects the 15% with kids!
    Why not keep the benefit as universal and add a smidge to income tax for all over 50k or somthing to make sure that all high earners pay a bit more into the pot, and not just rob £2500 from those trying to raise a family.

Chronic, ill-thought out policy. I don’t mind paying more tax, but like others here with a low/no earning partner, to lose 100% of our child benefit while other higher income households retain theirs is idiotic policy from Tory muppets.

The smoke and mirrors cack that Cameron came out with on the news, “the poor folk should be paying for child allowance for the well off”.
    They weren’t. Ever. It came out of our own PAYE.

konabunny
    Free Member

15k is a third of the salary, so I would say thats quite a lot.

Still think child benefit should be universal as its a real help to many families even on top 25% salaries. However I would support a small increase on income tax for those earning over say £75k to make the child benefit self funding.
    Does that mean you earn about, ooh, £74,800, then? 😉

CHB

Does that mean you earn about, ooh, £74,800, then?

Heavens, no!

😉

Viewing 9 posts - 241 through 249 (of 249 total)

The topic ‘child benefit’ is closed to new replies.