Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)
  • Cheese on Toast Thread
  • escrs
    Free Member

Thought we could have a cheese on toast thread

So what cheese do you like and what else do you have on the cheese on toast

Also what is the best bread to use?

Currently im having Warburtons farmhouse bread, Seriously Stong extra mature cheese with onion and brown sauce

nickjb
    Free Member

Mmmm. I used to do a nice cheese on toast with tomato in the Aga when the house I lived in had one. This winter I got the measure of a grilled cheese sandwich, cooked dry in a frying pan, which is ace. I don’t add much. Just good strong cheddar. Best normal bread is probably co-op sourdough.

qwerty
    Free Member

Thick doorsteps of white, brown or granary, toasted one side only (the bottom), a smear of brown sauce on the untoasted topside a smothering of grated & grilled cheddar cheese and maybe a sprinkle of pepper 👍

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    lightfighter762
    Free Member

cheese and chorizo on toast. Gout top up lol

leffeboy

Good cheddar, chopped spring onions, bread should be not too fancy. Chorizo is an inspired choice though. Adds to shopping list

tthew

My Grandma had a odd, (but nice) way of making it. Melt cheese in a pan with a bit of English mustard. A teaspoon of flour, the exact reason I can’t remember and pour over the toast. Not made it that way for years.

sparkyrhino

As a previous C on T thread on here, someone recommended Marmite then melted cheese , very nice mmmmmmm

Kuco

I like sliced sourdough, cornish mature cheddar and either brown sauce or marmite

Nick

Good cheddar but not the really vintage stuff as this doesn’t seem to melt that well and you don’t get that nice tasty maillard reaction going on.

For a bit of variety some pickle or homemade chilli jam on under the cheese, or perhaps some Worcestershire sauce splashed over.

Today for lunch I had cheese on toast with baked beans on top, don’t normally posh it up this much but it was quite nice.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Scottish Pride Plain bread with whatever strong cheddar is to hand. A soupçon of broon sauce for added piquancy.

A couple of spoonfuls of salsa under the cheese as an occasional treat instead of the HP.

Where I live its Roasted Cheese.

Nick

My Grandma had a odd, (but nice) way of making it. Melt cheese in a pan with a bit of English mustard. A teaspoon of flour, the exact reason I can’t remember and pour over the toast. Not made it that way for years.

Was she Welsh?

erictwinge
    Free Member

dont really mind how you make it as long as theres lashings of…
    https://www.weetons.com/imagegen.ashx?image=images/productimages/Sauces/4205_5060148180007.jpg&compression=65&constrain=true&altimage=/images/productimages/no-image-available.gif

PiknMix
    Free Member

Worcestershire sauce splashed over.

You mean Hendo’s right?

flicker
    Free Member

Good strong cheddar and branston pickle.

hardtailonly

Lightly toast the bread (we use granary/seeded) in the toaster. Lightly spread Mayo & Marmite, add sliced cheese (X strong Cheddar, or Red Leicester) then grill.

I turn out a good Stilton and Cayenne Pepper cheese scone … Might try the simpler version of Stilton on toast … 🤔

kayak23

Decent brown seedy bread, marmite under the cheddar. Lush.

tthew

Was she Welsh?

No, Scottish actually.

jkomo

As kids we didn’t have a pot to piss in, but our Mom did cheese on toast the correct way-
    With cayenne pepper and paprika on top. Toasted it goes dark and smokey and obviously has a nice kick.
    I once went to had a friends house and was given cheese on toast without anything else on it. I actually thought to my ten year old self ‘I can’t believe people actually live like this’.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

The ubiquitous sweet chilli sauce under the cheese is great.

Oggles
    Free Member

I’m generally a sourdough guy but do enjoy a good white for cheese on toast. Butter. Strong cheddar, sliced or sometimes coarsely grated.

Marmite, one of the wife’s pickles, or now and again I’m partial to Mango Chutney.

wwpaddler
    Free Member

Toast the bread properly on the bottom and lightly on the top then add a big pile of grated creamy Lancashire cheese. Sprinkle with Lancashire sauce or Lea & Perrins if feeling exotic then grill until the cheese melts and starts caramelising.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Cheddar is nice but I prefer a crumbly cheese such as Wensleydale. I like the way it doesn’t melt and go all bubbly.

And while I wouldn’t serve it on toast, Halloumi is just fantastic for that reason.

tails
    Free Member

White, butter, cheddar, grilled until you get little crunchy bits of cheese.

I’ve got some Gouda in the fridge so will report back on that tomorrow.

binners

Pfft! What’s with the poncey bread? Granary? Sourdough? You’re kidding, right? It has its place (probably involving goats cheese, roasted red peppers and sun dried tomatoes), but it has no place here!

For cheese on toast, cheese toasties, chip butties and fish finger butties, there can be only one…

Mature cheddar, Worcester sauce…

Job jobbed!

thejesmonddingo

This may not be traditional,but a good mature Cheddar,on sourdough,with a smear of Patak’s aubergine pickle on.

binners

🤮🤮🤮

Pervert!

thejesmonddingo

I may be,I like lime pickle on my bacon sarnies.

lunge

Brown bread, but no that cheap nasty stuff, lightly toasted both sides.
    Good, mature cheddar, don’t be shy.
    A good glug or 2 of Worcestershire sauce.
    Grind or 2 of black pepper.
    Sriracha Mayo to dip in on the side.

Dickyboy

Like the marmite idea & it’s also great on eggy bread.

For me though lashings of freshly ground back pepper on my c & T is a must.

crikey
    Free Member

A lot of virtue signalling going on in this thread…

The correct answer is
    a) Whatever cheese you have,
    b) Whatever bread you have,
    c) Cooked by someone else,
    d) At some silly o’clock in the morning,
    e) Accompanied by the smell of burning arm/hand hair because the person at c) above can’t pull the grill out to check on the progress because beer.
    f) Sauce optional, but usually from a crusty bottle.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Toast – what ever bread is around
    Cheese – What ever cheddar type cheese is around

Slice the cheese, put on top of the toast, microwave for about a minute, pour over the oil from a jar of anchovies and stir/stab with a fork, back in the microwave for about 30 second.

Slap a second slice of toast on top, turn over so the crisp toast is on the bottom and you have a cheese on toast sandwich

Never seen it replicated

bsims
    Free Member

Seeded granary, proper red leicester and slices of peperami.

zzjabzz
    Free Member

Aldi copy of Warbies Toastie (actually a bit thicker), any cheese really from mature cheddar down to grated mozzarella or a mix of what you have in. The milder cheddars give a better melt but lack the bite of course so a mix is always good, L&P or Hendos, oregano, s&p. optional extras are chilli sauce, tomato, onion. Never tried Marmite underneath, that’s next on the list. Cheers for the tips.

spacemonkey

Whatever cheddar or hard cheese you use, ensure you grate it. Helps create a more even cook/melt/gooeyness that slabs can’t always compete with.

Bit of thinly sliced red onion goes down a treat too.

+1 chorizo – I could live off that stuff.

CountZero

Pfft! What’s with the poncey bread? Granary? Sourdough? You’re kidding, right? It has its place (probably involving goats cheese, roasted red peppers and sun dried tomatoes), but it has no place here!

Bollocks binners! Bread is whatever’s in the house! Without the bread, there’s no cheese on toast, so none of that nonsense, thank you!
    And this thread has got me salivating, so I’ll be off to see what bread is in the kitchen, probably some multiseed brown, topped with extra mature cheddar with black pepper and chilli flakes. Mmmmmmm! 😁

binners

Hang on a minute?

There are houses that don’t have Warbies in?! I thought this was meant to be a civilised society?

😳

Woody
    Free Member

Cheese on toast is great but the ultimate is an Aberdeen roll (rowie) under the grill, any strong cheddar, couple of rashers of bacon and topped with baked beans.

A 1000+ calorie heart attack on a plate and simply divine.

roach

My grill smokes like a mofo, can you do in an oven instead if you pre-toast in the toaster?

bsims
    Free Member

couple of rashers of bacon

Smoked or unsmoked?

Woody
    Free Member

Personal preference 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 131 total)

The topic ‘Cheese on Toast Thread’ is closed to new replies.