Home Forums Bike Forum Checked shirts

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Checked shirts
  • bighairydel

On the back of the Gravel Riding article, the beard and check shirt is a great look and got me thinking, whilst I’ve fashioned a beard before I have never worn a checked shirt when biking.
    Am I missing out!!??
    Personally always wear a T-shirt or jacket depending on the weather, is a shirt better?
    Looking to be convinced!

beagle
    Free Member

Rocketdog to the forum please!!!!!

Ambrose

For peak STW you could wear a STW checked shirt but it seems that they are not available anymore.

Mine is really comfy but not really suitable for colder days. Also very good is the Alpkit woodsmoke. Long sleeved, super comfy.

inbred853

I bought a couple of the Club Ride shirts a while ago from here, no beard to go with them unfortunately.

Worn them out and about on the bike during the summer, sleeves down or rolled up. Nice and light and will dry quickly if you get all sweaty. Last outing was on Taff’s trail in South Wales in the summer, finished in Cardiff bay and sat and chilled with a pint or three not looking like a lycra clad cyclist.

Kryton57

Jnr tells me “shackets” – like a hoody with a checked shirt over but one item sewn together – are all the rage now, albeit I’m too old for them, he says.

johnnystorm

The Alpkit Woodsmoke and Kanza are great, the Kanza being tighter/lighter for riding.

The Endura Shacket is pretty good to and obviously warmer. I just wish it had longer arms.

MoreCashThanDash

I have an Overland check shirt thst has never been worn riding, but is a great “shacket”.

Also confuses the heck out of people in the office when I start producing my Tesco meal deal out of the rear pockets after a lunchtime stroll.

duckman
    Free Member

Alpkit woodsmoke wearer as well. They sell out really quickly so must be a lot of hipsters.

bighairydel

So what’s the benefits over a T-shirt? and is hipster status essential 🙃

stwhannah

F2BDE996-51DE-47BF-BBEA-03F2245C822Blast night’s outfit. Worn to a pub full of people with sparkly sequinned numbers. A sort of 90s rave escapee look maybe?

bighairydel

That’s the bike equivalent of a sequinned number 🤩😂

rOcKeTdOg

Alpkit woodsmoke is my most worn “flannel”
    Honory mention to the santini shirt which has cycling jersey sleeves so hard to roll up compared to a bottom up

Dixxon flannels are good, but get the press stud version for easy venting on climbs

Also confuses the heck out of people in the office when I start producing my Tesco meal deal out of the rear pockets after a lunchtime stroll.

Ha, love it!

binners

I have a selection of the the the checked shirts but unfortunately can’t grow a beard as it’d look like I’d put my head on upside down. I’ve no tattoos either and I prefer lager, rather than craft ale so have completely failed on the hipster front. Come to think of it, I’ve no idea why I’m here :(

ton

i wear flannel checked shirts, A- because i am a grandad, and B-because they are warm.  ace with a base layer under in cold dry.

bighairydel

Yeah but are they aero? 🥴

seriousrikk

Coming at this from a different angle, already have a fair beard so feeling like a check shirt is next.

Pity I’ve not been able to find one that is both suitable for riding and more monochrome.

fatface1
    Free Member

Roll the sleeves up for when it’s warm.
    Roll the sleeves down for when it’s cold OR when it’s really warm and you want to protect your skin from the sun.
    Protect your arms from bramble scratches also.
    Wear over a tshirt or on its own.

Aero is for roadies.

Sainsbury’s has some nice ones at the minute about £20 or £30. I spotted them on Tuesday buying catfood. I’ll be back to try and buy.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s has some nice ones at the minute about £20 or £30. I spotted them on Tuesday buying catfood

Hmmm, I’m almost convinced. Any shirt that can take the weekly shop off my hands has got to be a win…😄

MoreCashThanDash

Sainsbury’s has some nice ones at the minute about £20 or £30. I spotted them on Tuesday buying catfood

Cat food buying shirts? Whatever will they think of next?

matt_outandabout

i wear flannel checked shirts, A- because i am a grandad, and B-because they are warm.

I’m taking it further with some really cosy cord shirts… Although not while riding. Yet.

I too have nice warm shirts, but I’ve only ever had a couple of ‘outdoor’ shirt which are wicking and hot weather focussed. Both of my current ones are aimed at walkers – so are slightly short in the back….

rOcKeTdOg

Woodsmoke

PXL_20221105_122404281~2

tall_martin

I have a couple of dakine checked shirts.

Good over a base layer down to about 8C for me

rOcKeTdOg

Santini

PXL_20230312_103136962.MP

LAT

not sure about the knee warmers with checked shirt look. need some trail trousers in a chino style or some performance denim from ripton.

ton

i was in penrith yesterday.   day out with my wife, doing some xmas shopping and stuff.

we were in John Norris country clothing shop.   i like warm sensible clothes. not the hunting stuff, just warm comfy stuff.

anyway, for my xmas list i have a couple of these shirts coming.

Hoggs Of Fife Countrysport Luxury Hunting Shirt – Olive/Wine Check

beagle
    Free Member

I’m too slow.  Didn’t even realize Rocketdog was in the article! I’ve had a nice Overland number, but my favourite is a north face – you’d think it was heavy cotton but it’s synthetic fabric which breathes really well 

mattsccm
    Free Member

Lumber jack? Doubt it so no. NO! Possibly if tucked in under a jumper but as some form of mass uniform never.

pnik

I like my fox one, but not for riding. Just ordering another from rapanui. Again casual not riding wear. Not convinced or beardy enough for that

cookeaa

I feel like going to a charity shop and finding some other bygone castoffs to turn into (post ironic) hipster cyclewear…

Floral blouse?
    Knitted tank top?
    She’ll suit?

tthew

gravedigger
    Man Inadvertently Proves That Hipsters Look Alike By Mistaking Photo As Himself

I clicked on the link expecting it to take me to a Daily Mash type article, but no – absolutely genuine. Brilliant. 🤣

She’ll suit?

I’m sure she will.

cookeaa

Too late to edit now so I’m going to claim I meant it that way

gecko76

Rohan field shirt here, like this one. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175697110064

Only worn when the winter beard has grown in, and never dark side out. 

fatface1
    Free Member

Sainsbury’s shirts: £18 plus 25% off until next weekend.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@cookeaa I went full niche. The jerkin was knitted by a lovely local lady. The shirt is a comfy and slim Rab number and the bike is singlespeed, and for bonus points I was on an Audax. https://flic.kr/p/2o4d7nY

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.